Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dead perch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zzebby, Nov 25, 2021.

1. I have seen these used but they don't seem really popular. You know the style, where one side of the buggy spring has no shackle and acts like a panhard rod. The other side is shacked as normal. Is there a negative aspect ? Too short of a swing arm ??

2. That and asking one part to do two things.
    It's a circle track idea, and like a lot of things, what will be okay in one application isn't necessarily so good on the street. Drag race parallel ladder bars is another example.
    Not saying you're gonna die, but it's a not the best option short cut.

Soon to follow all the "I've had one for years and never had a problem..." responses.;)

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

One of the biggest reasons they aren't seen is few (or less) are made anymore.
    The one I have was sourced through the Deuce Factory in the late nineties.

20181016_115416.jpg

wicarnut likes this.
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Front ends with lots of travel, not good. Also one dead perch doesn't cover all vehicles. The angle of what would be the shackle at rest will need to differ from one vehicle to another. Having the wrong angle will cause spring binding and crazy unloading when not wanted.

brigrat and twenty8 like this.

5. twenty8

twenty8

As each half of the transverse spring flexes, it lengthens and shortens. The shackles allow this by their change of angle as the suspension cycles. A dead perch limits this on one side of the spring, so only the other side is doing its job properly. The side with the dead perch will become stiffer, and the axle will move sideways away from the dead perch side as the spring flattens. Not tragic with minimal travel but becoming worse the more travel you have/want. The recommended side to have the dead perch has little to do with anything other than the racing origins of only turning left.
    Panhard bar is simple and effective...............;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. Bugguts

Bugguts

If you use the search function above on left of page, you will find a lot of info on this subject.
    I searched it a couple years ago and found everyone of my questions answered already.

Tman likes this.
  7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That's when the pond goes dry, right?

twenty8, gimpyshotrods, Tman and 4 others like this.
  8. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I believe on one of the 37 tube axle postings of which there are several, a snap shot shows what appears to be a home brewed take of a dead perch/pan bar sort of combo with a heavy tube extending from the left side rail? to the right spring perch. Looks to be a wish bone sized tube possibly from a go left dirt track car.

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Each has their opinion, and I wonder how many of them have really built a car with it and really drove it several thousands of miles. I have been making and using a Dead-Perch on my Hot Rod's for 40 years.

IMG_20181003_182559 (2).jpg

C6.jpeg

mgtstumpy, Dean Lowe and Tman like this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Some statements given are based in BS they hear an repete. Same prob. with those who just copy bad engineering they saw in a photo,with out knowing crap about it ! Thinking it must be OK.
    Spring movement on a lite hotrod=should not be enough flex to use up shackel swing on one side only.**
    Dead Perch is a very good way to keep from needing a panhard bar= Neat n clean.
    But most well done front ends have shackels at 45*< and don't need ether a panhard bar or a Dead Perch.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Dana
    That is one big reason I chose to use a dead perch on my roadster.
    I always thought panhard bars cluttered up that area and on a hiboy they tend to stand out.

Dean Lowe and dana barlow like this.