Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Model A 302 heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Powered by Ford, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Powered by Ford

Powered by Ford

So im struggling with the decision on heads for the sbf 302. I'm having the block (1979) rebuilt by a local machine shop and leaning towards new aluminum heads (possibly trick flow) vs reworking the stock ones. Everything I've read says the stock ones are garbage and not to waste any money on them.

Here is the current set up and what my intentions are so far.
    This car is a 30 year old restoration that I did with my father back in the early 90's. The body is on a TCI (total cost involved) frame, with independent front suspension.
    Engine is a stock 1979 302
    C4 transmission (3 speed auto) Plan to have this rebuilt (slips a little currently) and used again, after some advice for others here I'm planning to keep it vs an AOD.
    1970's 8" rear end 308 gears. Intend to leave this intact. (This site helped identify this for me previously)
    I would like to have all components working together, IE. cam, transmission gearing, torque converter, rear end, heads?

I should also mention that this car will continue to be a weekend cruiser and not going to any track.
    In my research, I have been looking at trick flow heads or possibly the trick flow top end kit with the cam. Hoping this would all work together since its part a kit? Anyone have any experience with the trick flow heads for this type of set up? Pros and cons? Also wondering if my current hooker headers would fit these heads? I read there are different angles from the exhaust ports, hence my question on the headers working? At the end of the day, I hope to spend wisely on the heads, gain a little hp? sure, why not. Just don't want to have any regrets on the head decision when I'm all done.

I am also planning to upgrade the distributor and coil to msd? (I need to research this a bit yet) (it currently has a stock points distributor) Would this eliminate the need for a brain box? It currently has the brain box wired in. Was looking to clean up the wiring a bit in the process.

I just recently started tearing into it, drained fluids so far and disconnected the battery. Got sick with covid and delayed my progress at this point. Figured I would reach out to the pro's here on HAMB to give me some insite and advice on the direction I hoping to go. Thanks in advance!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I thought that the gt40 heads were supposed to be a really good swap on the 302 and that the gt40 heads were cheap compared to aftermarket.

3. partssaloon

partssaloon

You have a DuraSpark electronic ignition on it in the pictures. Before you decide the heads are garbage consider what RPM you will being running this thing 90% of the time. Cam, heads, pistons you want to work at ? RPM. I have a MSD ready to run type dist. in my ford and it has served me well.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

I'm not sure what ' spend wisely ' means to you but if it means sacraficing more $$ well my friend just bought a crated Ford Racing engine and it's a beaut with wonderful aluminum heads they did great work and runners are proper design . Can't go wrong with those I guarantee that info for you

loudbang likes this.

5. Deuces

Deuces

They are!....;):cool:

48fordnut, deathrowdave, fauj and 3 others like this.
  6. 34Phil

34Phil

People never consider revving your engine to 6000 RPM on the street attracts every policeman in a quarter mile. Factory heads are fine for 4500 RPM.

7. While the Trick Flow heads are quality pieces, IMHO they will be a waste of money for your overall package. Throttle response at the RPM range you will be running will suffer. Put an earlier set of 302 heads on with 1.94/1.60 valves and a mild cam. The headers you have will fit. Ford used the same heads after 1977 in both the 302 and 351 with a 69 cc chamber.

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

When I was putting together my 289 I used RHS heads. I looked at all the heads available including the factory heads and compared all to stock heads. Stock gt40 heads are worth 40hp over stock as cast heads, Edelbrock 60 to 80 hp over stock heads, AFR, RHS, and Trick Flow 100+ hp over stock. There are a number of Chinese heads available but nothing I would consider. The hp bump of the heads is on a modified short block that will use the air increase, it's going from 350 hp to 450.
    If you want to do a 302 on the cheap a die grinder, cam and lifters, 4v carb and intake manifold with a set of headers can get you 300 hp. It's the next 100 hp that costs....

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

1. Power wise, most any modern/current aluminum head will make more power. If that's what you want.
    2. The aluminum heads will take a few pounds off of the front of the car, if that's what you want.
    3. With 3.08 gears, you DON'T have an optimum combination..!
    4. Your current heads, with a good valve grind and some port "pocket" cleanup work, should work just fine. Any further anticipated porting, buy the aluminum heads.
    Yes, Trick Flow heads are a good bet.

Mike

fauj likes this.
  10. ^especially point 3!

48fordnut and osage orange like this.
  11. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Another suggestion would be World Products Windsor Jr. Steel heads. A little more costly than the Chinese aluminum heads.

loudbang, oldiron 440 and Deuces like this.
  12. I have a pretty long history with these engines. If money is a point, use gt4o or gt40p heads. The trickflow as cast 170cc heads are very good but you can't buy any right now due to shortages. There are flow charts on many heads in comparisons through out the years. The ford gt's are as good as many of the cast iron aftermarket heads. You need to determine what valve reliefs are in your pistons to make sure you have clearance. That's one of the benefits of trickflows. Because of your gear ratio, I would use a very mild camshaft so you don't loose your low end power. If you are staying with a flat tappet cam, summit has an inexpensive line of mild grinds that work well on the street.

13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I was going to mention these heads but forgot, they would be more period correct...

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  14. 2Blue2

2Blue2

I like seeing your Model A, Nice!

loudbang likes this.
  15. indyjps

indyjps

Figure if it's a highway cruiser going to long distance shows etc. Or around town cruiser.
    If long drives aren't the goal, more gear and a snotty cam will be more fun, :D they love to rev
    That's all I got for 302 advice.

Deuces, osage orange and loudbang like this.
  16. RmK57

RmK57

I like the idea of the World Products iron heads. They've had a pretty good product over the years.
    Trouble is rebuilding old heads is if they the valves are sunk too far, been surfaced a couple times.
    To rebuild a set of heads with new parts plus machining could be close to half the cost of a brand new set.
    Myself I would be leaning towards brand new whatever brand you decide on, but not the Chinese junk.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  17. 58ducknut

58ducknut
    from ohio

I have the as cast 170 cc trickflow heads , XE268H Comp cam. T5 and 389 gear in my 33 coupe and couldn’t be happier ! Runs strong

Deuces, indyjps, fauj and 1 other person like this.
  18. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

If you haven’t taken the block to the machine shop, go get at roller cam block. In my opinion, less worries with break in and oil types. Find an explorer/mountaineer and you will get gt40p heads with it. That would be perfect for a street build.

CN

19. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Aluminum heads due tend to run cooler...Just an added bonus and if they are ever damaged you can weld them.....

20. The C4 and 3.08 gears will be the limiting factors and are what you need to build around. You need low-end torque, not HP. With that said, my .02 worth...

Yep, those late '70s heads aren't good for HP. Ford designed them to emphasize torque so they're not a particularly bad choice here but you are leaving some HP on the table. The aftermarket heads will make big power at big RPM, but you need steeper rear gears and a high-stall torque convertor to take advantage of them, which will do nothing good for low RPM streetability. If you are willing to convert to a manual trans they become viable but that's another whole can of worms. So in this case, the GT40 heads would be the best choice. These were designed for similar applications with a good compromise between torque and HP. Set the motor up with about a 9.3 to 1 compression ratio, or higher if possible.

Camshaft choice becomes critical. I'd convert to a hydraulic roller cam with an emphasis on low-speed torque and a smooth idle. Don't get carried away, no rump-rump idling cams wanted here. One big advantage to rollers is you can get lift without low-end-killing duration which is one reason the factories went to them. Talk to your cam supplier, be honest in what you tell them and listen to their advice. Figure this out before you do the motor so you can decide on a recommended compression ratio.

Ignition. I'm not a fan of aftermarket distributors, one reason being they usually require proprietary replacement parts. I'd stick with the DuraSpark unit you have, and if you ditch the 'electronic' cap/adaptor/rotor that's on it now you can switch to the points-style cap/rotor for a vintage look (and is available anywhere). Dump the Motorcraft 'box' and switch to a MSD 6A, which will simplify the wiring, and hide the box out of sight. This is my default choice on these and has been for years, and this combo has so far proved to be dead-nuts reliable. You can retain the stock coil, no 'HiPo' unit needed.

And lastly, carburation. I've had great results with 450 CFM Holleys on 302s but those are getting hard to find in rebuildable condition and are now expensive if bought new. My current choice is the Summit 'Autolite' copy in the 500 CFM size with its annular-discharge boosters (a extra-cost option on the Holley and N/A on the Edelbrock). Ford motors just don't run as good with Edelbrock carbs IMO. This size will limit high-RPM power (the motor will run out of breathing at about 6K RPM) but the big improvement in low-speed throttle response is well worth the trade-off IMO. This will also help fuel economy.

That is good advice, and may save you some money and will save some hassle... You could sell your current running long block...

21. 6sally6

6sally6

I used the Windsor jr. heads 'many moons' ago with good results. (I prefer the iron heads for several reasons)
    Small 49 cc chambers is what you want with a flat top piston. In a light weight car with a 4 or 5 speed tranny a 3.08:1 will 'work'.....OK. Snotty cam too! It's not IDEAL for getting power to the ground but it will work ...OK.
    Take a look at Skip White Performance for Alum. heads. They may appeal to you.
    Light weight vehicles (under 3000 lbs) don't "need" a lotta gear to make them peppy.
    Jus say'in.......
    6sally6

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

23. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Where are you located? I have a set of 68 302 heads, and several sets of 69 351W heads with the larger valves in 94558

deathrowdave, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  24. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

If a weekend cruiser is your goal I would suggest a 5.0 roller motor with a 4 bbl and a Pertonix distributor. This keeps your combination pretty simple and cheap. With the C4 and 3:08 gears as I run in my model A sedan your mileage should easily be close to mid 20 mpg. In my '33 coupe I run the same 5.0 roller motor with an AOD and 3.70 gear and the mileage has been 26 mpg for the last 107,000 miles. The '32 in my avatar runs a blown early 302 with a C4 and 3.55 gears and actually gets 16 MPG if I can keep my foot out of it.
    I hope this helps you make your decisions. Remember weight is horsepower and these cars are very light.

Deuces likes this.
  25. big bird

big bird

Light car, cruiser use, 3.08 rear will be fine.
    In a perfect world, I would say "roller block, GT cam (maybe an E303), E7 heads, dual plane intake, 85 Mustang 5-speed distributor (roller-compatible Duraspark out of the box), and small 4bbl carb."
    Of course all of that is OT, and IF I were to say that, I would recommend period-appropriate tinwork/air cleaner/paint. And dual exhaust with decent mufflers.

26. Powered by Ford