Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Am I the Only One ? Aging ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Mimilan

Mimilan

Kerry says women don't need "Male selective deafness" if you only tell them what you think they need to know [keeping it in balance]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Went to Dr. appointment today. Receptionist says "any aches or pains?" I say hon I'm 73. She says OK.

LAROKE, alanp561, 41 GMC K-18 and 3 others like this.
  3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I'll tell you what torques me off. WHEN HANDICAPPED PEOPLE PARK IN THE REGULAR PARKING SPOTS! The nerve of some people anyway!:D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  4. Well we all have a choice. Wear out or rust out. I am doing a good job of wearing out!

X-cpe, Deuces, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  5. Boatmark

Boatmark

My father passed this year just shy of 91’. He had mobility issues for a long time, but pushed through with a cane for a long time, but transitioned to a scooter for large or long walk events. He limited use of the scooter to when he really “needed” it - he was worried that if he didn’t push himself to walk, he would lose the ability.

He said the scooter looked like an old lady, and asked me to make it cool. A friend modified it to run some aluminum wheels and wide tires from (I think) a go-cart, I custom painted the “body”, and called in a favor from an upholsterer for some diamond pleat upholstery. It lost some turning radius with the wheels, but they also made it Damn near impossible to tip over.

In his words, it was Shit Hot!

LAROKE, seb fontana, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

At 61 , I have 3 types of Arthritis , 2 bad discs in the lower back , 4 fused in the neck , severe carpal (?} tunnel in both hands . Some days are not too bad , others are off the chart pain level .
    35 years pipelining , rear ended on the Harley , and worse of all damage from a so called “ neuro spine surgeon “ installing four screws into disc space instead of bone . Stage 4 cancer , a year of chemo , radiation treatments , long term damages to the heart , as in Congestive Heart Failure .
    All have lead up to not so fun aging . I never drank a lot because of riding the bikes are dangerous enough , without drinking . No smoking working on a ticking time bomb liquid propane pipeline .

Never give up , live life as if today is your last , laugh and be proud of what you have done to date in your life . Things can always be worse . If it takes a scooter to motivate , so be it enjoy what time we have remaining to the fullest .

One thing I have taken notice to in this hobby we all enjoy is , there are no real snobs that are true car people , someone will always help you if help is needed , and you will end up with another friendship , to chuckle through the tuff times with .

7. Sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you've got good memories to comfort you. It also sounds like you father was a cool guy!

8. Damn right my friend.

Deuces, alanp561, wicarnut and 3 others like this.
  9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I vowed never to be one of those scooter guys who just rudely push their way through crowds. When we get old, what doesn't hurt, doesn't work. I've lived with pain for a long time but now I have my spinal cord being pinched enough to lose control of my right leg at times. Both of my rotator cuffs are torn and one bicep tendon has snapped so my arms aren't very dependable either. A trip to my mailbox wears me out. I used to say getting old isn't so bad when you consider the alternative but the alternative is looking better all the time.

Stogy, ca, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  10. wicarnut

wicarnut

I think this applies to this thread and The Last thing you want to be at the end is a "Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda" man. words to live by .jpg

11. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Some years ago a guy on this forum was selling these T-shirts
    20211125_083410.jpg

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

I like It, will try to find, I need one and a few for my friends

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  13. 78 and still got all my original parts with very minor repairs. Lots of aches and pains but still moving every day and building things almost every day.Thankful to be doing what I love to do and a life partner who encourages me to keep it up. She's a keeper for sure. I know I'm not gonna make it out alive but I'm not stressing out over it. I consider myself to be very fortunate.

14. Latigo

Latigo

DBACB1D7-AC10-4601-8D65-18F1BFF51E95.jpeg We invested in a couple of Ebikes to expand our bike rides. Pedal when you want and power up for some assist on the hills. Getting out on the bike trails more now.

15. Oilguy

Oilguy

Went to a retirement party recently for a coworker. Tables were set up in the warehouse and everyone was enjoying lunch. I was at a table with some longtime coworkers and customers, all talking about their aches and pains, medications, etc. Wasn't long before I realized I was sitting at the baby boomer table.

LAROKE, williebill, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  16. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

If you don't want to know about my ailments don't ask me how i'm doing lol.

Stogy, ca, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  17. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

A few years ago I was at a gun show and when I went to use the rest room there must have been thirty guys my age standin in line waitin, I looked at them and said, its hell gettin old isn't it? A few years ago we were at a motel getting our things from the truck and a big kid walked up and says" Hey! Grandpa, I need 10 bucks" I pulled my coat back and put my hand on my 44 and said "get movin" Realistically, I guess I do look week and an easy mark, what with the white hair and beard

loudbang, ca, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  18. More than half of you on here are over 70, pick up your feet and put them down heels first and you won't trip on things, Oh Ya and stop and do the "Twist" like Chubby Checker with your woman, three times a week, that'll keep you loose.

19. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Just 73 Over Here And Taking It One Day At A Time...No Complaints.. Carb and More 2017 001.JPG

20. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

with all the stupid human tricks we did over the years, we're still here.
    now back to laying on the ground to work under the dragster and then figure out
    how to get up off the floor. :D

Deuces, mad mikey, X-cpe and 3 others like this.
  21. spanners

spanners

We're not ageing. It's the world that's in a hurry to keep in front.

22. "....that'll keep you loose."

Maybe, but my stools ain't my problem!

23. You are a young whippersnapper!

Ben

wicarnut and Deuces like this.
  24. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I built one to get around the property.
    TrailCrawler 001.jpg
    Little much for most car shows. Mike

25. I am pushing 60 years old. My girlfriend is 17 years younger then me. Some people say I am robbing the cradle ,but I think she is robbing the grave.:D

26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

They have to be a lot younger to keep up!!

Deuces and mad mikey like this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like it's Army issued.....

Stogy likes this.
  28. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

You get back up off the floor???

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  29. CME1

CME1

The question I have is, you get back up off the floor by yourself!!

Stogy, wicarnut and Deuces like this.
  30. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I have a cherry picker and I'm not afraid to use it!

Stogy, wicarnut, CME1 and 2 others like this.