Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a Brookville roadster pickup? Update: NO. Now building 1929 roadbriolet/cabrioster pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Truck is looking good! ‘Needs a single hoop old timer looking roll bar. (Just my opinion and you know what that’s like ) :)

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

dean...............1.JPG
    Like this unknown example?:D:D

3. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMAO Al...and yes, there are certain boots that would make me excited;).
    [​IMG]

4. Jack, you gotta move on from that Green fetish thing you have going on.:D;)

5. Let me guess, you'll get past it when I move past this one fog lamp obsession of mine.:D;)

6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's more of a subliminal thing I'm doing to Al...the more green I post, the better chance that Al just might...;):D

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Stop using those big words, Jack. You know we're just hot rodders.;)

8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geez Don...Now you sound like my wife.:eek:
    She calls me an "over-educated idiot":rolleyes:

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The meeting went well and the guys liked the cabrioster.:) They particularly liked the new tires and wheels.
    I took some of the brake lines I replaced on the cabrioster to show them what NOT to do.;):D I told them to just buy a variety of premade brake line lengths, along with some connectors, and make it work without hand flaring any lines.:) I think they got the message.
    After looking it over, I drove it down the street to turn it around so I could drive into the garage(I had backed it up at the top of the driveway and facing the road so the boys could see it;)).
    Those 36 headlights, used the first time at night, were dim to say the least!:eek: You could see me coming but I couldn't see much of the road ahead!:eek::D I should have taken a flashlight!:D
    Maybe I can pawn the cabrioster off on Jack?!:D:D I just had an idea; I'll get back to y'all.;)
    BTW, those dang transmission lines are still leaking just a little... I'm betting they were flanged by hand, too!:eek:
    I'll look into replacing them... maybe today.:)
    I also want to hook up my new passing gear linkage I got from the Buick gurus in CA as well as the switch pitch feature. Always something more to do.;):)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  10. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7016.JPG
    Jack, ain't it about time you added a cabrioster pickup to your fleet?!:D:D
    I'm sure Bonnie would love having even more wind in her hair... since the windshield is shorter that the one on the 36 cabriolet!;):D

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7017.JPG
    We got working turn signals!!
    In my efforts to figure out why the turn signals were not flashing, I replaced the regular flasher with this one. And got nothing!:eek: Dang! I had grounded the little thingie and everything.:(
    With nothing to lose, I managed to pull the little polarity adaptor thing off the flasher and plugged it back in.;)
    Bingo!! We got flashing turn signals!:)
    I share this with y'all because you, like me;):D, might not realize that the flasher WILL unplug from the piece shown above.:) Remember that when your new LED flasher thingie won't make them flash.:eek:;):D
    I also reinstalled the mirrors on the doors but y'all have seen them before!:D:D Look for them in future pictures.;):)
    I also double checked to make certain it does not have positraction... I wish... the little car will surely need it!:D
    Dang third member leaks anyway so might step up, after digging up some more cans from the back yard:rolleyes::D; and go to posi when I get around to solving the leaking third member problem.;):)

12. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMAO. Are you kidding? Nice try Al;):D. You spoiled Bonnie with the '36 Cabriolet. She will NEVER let me own another fenderless, short wheelbase, seat of your pants type hot rod again:eek:. The '36 is so comfortable, she actually took a nap when we were coming home from an out of town car show:rolleyes:.

Incidentally, that old air cleaner cover (hubcap) from my old Sedan Delivery adds some nice color to the Cabrioster:eek:;):D. If you need any additional green paint, just let me know;):D:D:D.
    100_1725.JPG

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Not much to report today but did find a couple more pictures from the reunion of the original builder and his old Ford in 1984. You will remember that the rear wheels on the green car are NOW on the front of the 29 cabrioster pickup.;)
    IMG_7020.JPG
    Here's the Ford in front of the builder's house. You can't see them but it still had the 40 Chevy headlights. He did NOT install the Charger gas cap or the 4 '59 Caddy taillights.;):D
    IMG_7021.JPG
    Here's a pic of our group in front of his home. That's him at far right with cap and flannel shirt.
    IMG_7022.JPG
    This is another picture of the happy couple in their old Ford from so long ago. They we happy!
    In the background, you see a shed behind our of our group's pickup.
    IMG_7023.JPG
    That is the same shed where this picture was taken in 1979. That is me first laying hands on one of the three 28-29 tudor sedans I bought from Mr. Frank. I later built the one on the right and drove it back to the same shed 3 years later.;)
    IMG_7024.JPG
    Here we have two of the three loaded up.;) The one on the left is the 29 that later returned.
    1984 .JPG
    We had a happy bunch on that trip in 1984.;):)
    There are some more pictures of the trip in 1979 to get the Model As. I built two of the three.;):)
    First trip in the chopped 29 I built was back to see Mr. Frank!;):)
    He was pretty happy to see us that year, too, in 1982. I told him the day I got the cars that I hoped to drive one of them back to see him one day.
    When I called him in 1982; I identified myself and asked if he remembered me buying all 3 cars? He said he did and immediately asked if I had one ready to bring back to show him? He had remembered!;):) I said I did and we'd be up to show him in a couple weeks... if he didn't mind!:D That was the first of many great trips to see them year after year. Very happy times!:)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's some cool history Al:cool:. I guess what bothers me is, we're about the same age, and in 1979 I could barely afford to buy a set of tires, let alone THREE Model As at the same time.:(;)

15. Fabulous stories! I've said it time and again, yes it's the cars that bring us all together, but it's really about the people. Your great stories, Al, just make that even more obvious to me..........Don.

16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7028.JPG
    Can you imagine rolling up on this convoy?!! It was fun to watch the people as they drove by us. Later, I was leading the convoy in the blue Ford pickup. Drivers would roll up on the first car on a trailer and slow down and look it over and then they would look ahead and see another one! They would speed up to the second car and repeat the process. Then they saw the third car and couldn't believe it and would really speed up to catch us. They didn't always spend as much time looking at my car before they took off flying... looking to see what was ahead of me!! Very entertaining to all of us.
    IMG_7029.JPG
    This one came back in 1982.
    IMG_7027.JPG
    I'd say he was pretty happy to see his old Ford. The shed it came from is about 10 feet to the left. His house is about 25 feet to the right.
    IMG_7025.JPG
    Then we pulled it across the street for a picture of the car in front of the shop where it used to be used for road service calls.
    IMG_7026.JPG
    He was very pleased that I kept my word to return one day. We later went for a ride up the winding mountain road and he drove back... with the biggest smile! The little Ford had a Buick... see the pattern?!:eek::D
    Of course it was a little V6 with a two barrel and a built turbo 350 and an early Nova rearend. The transmission was WON by a fellow club member in Delaware a year or two before at The Big One rod run.;) The great irony is that of all the guys in our club; he was probably one of the most FORD guys!:D:D I bought it from him.;)

Hnstray, brEad, kidcampbell71 and 6 others like this.
  17. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Very cool Al. Glad you have photos of your adventures!

18. Was that somewhere up here in the Valley where you found those, Al?

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Ralph Frank's shop was in Linville, I think. His shop was at the intersection of rt 613 and rt 783. He had a big junkyard behind his house.
    Beautiful country up there that we city folks really enjoyed! Trees were wonderful!

20. Great history! The photos really bring it alive. Thanks for sharing them.

21. I thought that looked familiar Al. That's only about a twenty minute drive from me. I have been to Ralph's years ago. It's amazing how many Model A's were squirreled away here in the Valley! The '31 Tudor I have was in a fellows shed not 2 miles from my house.

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7037.JPG
    I found the pictures where I had just driven right on INTO his shop before stopping!
    IMG_7039.JPG
    When we got up there Friday afternoon, I couldn't wait until Saturday to surprise Mr. Frank so I called him and he said he was there. I took the coupe over to surprise him and my pal, Jim Wheeler(on the left) just HAD to take his 42 Mercury and follow me to see Mr. Frank's face!:)
    IMG_7036.JPG
    I'd say Ralph was happy to see us.:)
    IMG_7040.JPG
    Smile for the camera, Honey!:D Didn't have to tell that to Ralph; he was so dang happy he couldn't quit smiling!:D
    IMG_7041.JPG
    We had a pretty good group that year. There were two rules in order to be invited:
    1. You had to DRIVE your hot rod.
    2. You had to take your wife, or girlfriend; but not both!!:eek::D:D

23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I hope y'all don't mind a diversion from the cabrioster pickup.
    IMG_7042 19530903 date.JPG
    I found this picture that goes with the earlier pictures and shows the rear of the car. Picture was stamped on the back by Mr./Mrs. Kodak:eek: as Sep 3 1953.:)
    IMG_7043.JPG
    IMG_7044 1965 VA plate.JPG
    I also found these pictures of a later iteration of the car(and their daughter, too, I think!). It looks like a 1965 plate to me.;)
    Mr. Frank sold the car in 1968 if my memory is correct.:rolleyes:
    I really like the 40 Chev headlight custom touch; along with the chopped top.;)
    Did anybody notice that the trunk is LEADED IN?!
    Ralph showed me the part of his shop where he chopped the car and leaded the trunk... and there was some old lead bar laying there on a shelf!:eek::D
    His wife used to drive the car as her daily.;) She insisted on giving me these pictures.:)

brEad, Blues4U, kidcampbell71 and 4 others like this.
  24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Al, WOW, you were even building high quality hot rods back in the early '80's:D. That Model A has a timeless look that would still look good today:cool:. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.
    [​IMG]

25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks, Jack. I was hustling to get it ready to make the trip. The 4 stainless steel doors on each hood side haven't been added nor has the 1932 Ford bumpers that worked out really neat.;) I'll have to go back digging for pictures. It was a sweet little car and would go, too!:eek: A fellow remarked to one of our members that HE would have used a SBC for more power. Our club member told him that he had followed that little 29 sedan many a mile, with everyone else running SBCs or bigger; and, at times none of them could seem to catch the little Ford!:D
    I had located a 4 barrel manifold for the engine but it ran so well and was so quick that I never felt the need for more carburetion.;) I gave the manifold to the guy that bought the car... he never changed it either that I know.;):)
    I went the other way with the 28 tudor that I built at the same time... used the stock 4 banger(ran well after a friend took it apart and put it back together.. all without removing the pistons. My Dad liked old Model As so we used that drive train but did add hydraulic brakes and wire wheels from a 50s Cadillac I think... something else to dig for!:eek::D
    I built both cars in 3 years. Painted and everything; even nice bumpers.;):) The 28 was a fun around town car and my Dad often took it for a spin; sometimes with several of his buddies.:) My family had a lot of fun riding it it as well.:) It just didn't want to run but so fast with the smaller diameter tires but was peppy... probably for the same reason.;):D We used a Lebaron Bonney kit on the 28 and I had a young upholsterer make a custom interior for the 29 but we did it in the same theme... looking mostly stock; but not.;)

26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7046.JPG
    IMG_7047.JPG IMG_7049.JPG
    This is the 1928... at my Dad's house.;):) I left it over there so he would drive it.;):)
    I installed the tops on both cars... man, that was some work!
    My Dad painted this car.:)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    brEad, Blues4U, kidcampbell71 and 5 others like this.
  27. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Today was interesting. I'm working to get the cab tied down firmly on the chassis. But... it seems there is always a "but;":eek: two of the three bolt down bolts on the passenger seemed to be stripped and none of the six mounting bolts would seem to really get tight. I thought the bolts were threaded into the top of the chassis and might not have great holding power.:eek: I came up with another way to mount the cab that will be much more secure and more accessible.;) We're going to cut 1.5" slices out of 3" channel that has sides cut down to 1" high. I'll share some pictures when we make them.;) We're gonna put probably half inch holes in the center of each piece. The channel pieces will be welded to the top of the chassis lengthwise along the top of the chassis. That will give us access to install a nut on the bottom and also allow us to tighten things up considerably better than at present. At present, without a cowl bolt that can be tightened, getting the door aligned is impossible.:eek: No wonder the dang passenger side door would not open when I got the car.:rolleyes:
    We also found a loose steering arm on the driver's side.:eek: Not much; but loose is a no-no in steering!;)
    Also realized cab wasn't mounted, if you can call it that!:D, level on the chassis as the front driver side cowl edge was below the top of the chassis by half inch while the other side was right at the top of the chassis.:rolleyes:
    Opportunities!
    On a much better note, they have Deep Dish Apple Pie ice cream at the ice cream parlor!!:):)
    I drove right over to savor it and also ordered a tub to give to the local volunteer rescue squad.;)
    No picture this time... it didn't last long enough!:D:D
    I'll get a picture of what I found next time I take it apart... it was creative but not effective... at least in my eyes!:D

28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I'm getting a new to me 9" third member sometime this week I hope.:rolleyes: That dripping 3rd member that's in it has to go!:D I sure hope the new 3rd member takes same axles as in it now.;)
    Also working to get the pieces made to permanently, and more securely;), attach cab to the chassis. I stuck it back together as it mostly was until we get the steering arm issue sorted out...along with some painting.;):) My tub of ice cream for the rescue squad should be here tomorrow!!:) Of course, I'll have to taste it first to ensure it is up to the right standard!:D:D I'm not going to crack open the tub:eek:; I'll just buy a waffle cone full of it in addition to the tub.;)
    It might last long enough for a picture but I can't guarantee it!:D

29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a thought Al...maybe, before you get too far into the Cabrioster project, perhaps a slight deviation from your original build plan is in order;):D.
    zice2.jpg