Register now to get rid of these ads!

History An Honest Pictorial

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Nov 19, 2021.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

An Honest Pictorial

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Great pics - thanks for sharing them. You're living my dream! lol

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fuck those are good! Thank you so much for sharing!

years back I was in the check out line at old navy and they had a hotrod/ custom book next to the register. Maybe 4x4” thick pages but not like cardboard toddler book thick. It was like a sturdy little book.

I can’t help but think 150 pages of 4x4 or similar size of just photos like this would be phenomenal.

realizing about now that I’ve described church magazine lol.

it’s still fucking cool.

if you had some way to make copies of these photos, I’d even pay for a standard photo album with 100 shots slid into the little plastic sleeves.

shit that might actually be the best way really.

some white tape on the spine sharpied “joeys 2021”

4. dwollam

dwollam

Man that looks like so much fun!

Dave

5. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

A great way to live life.

6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How many SPH* were you going?
    Good stuff!! You might just make it being a photo journalist someday....

*Smiles Per Hour

7. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

Loved the photos!
    For the most part, they look as though they were taken "back in the day."
    Only in some are there details and clues that give it away. Stuff like the clothing, style of sunglasses. Then there were the lawn chairs in some that are modern day creations.
    But excellent still! Like taking a trip through the "Way Back Machine!"

8. stinson

stinson
    from alabama

C5DB145A-0000-4972-8F15-2CDA51D43E76.jpeg BDD5A98B-4525-4E97-9A75-FC977F76EECE.jpeg

These two are great wow total time machine!

J.Ukrop, Nobey, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Really cool and you got the rush of waiting for the photos to be developed. You are a young dinosaur!

10. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

I am not really a 32 guy but that one catches my eye in every picture I see it in. Looks downright fucking mean... would love to know more about it if you have anything on it.

Great set of pictures, I really love the expired color film look.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    chryslerfan55, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 2 others like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess if it looks like 1947-1959 the crowd involved is getting the vibe the Hamb is celebrating and that's comforting because that's exactly what I seek when I login...the good Ole days...thanks for sharing them @J.Ukrop

Amateur photography many times breaks rules of the trade that push boundaries that might not have been realized had they not been given the chance to have that expensive dinosaur you placed in their hands...

Good on you for giving that seldom realized opportunity...they did amazing things...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    chryslerfan55, J.Ukrop and Nobey like this.
  12. Nobey

Nobey

Those are great Joey, I think I just went for a ride in a time machine.....

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  13. guitarguy

guitarguy

Damn, some of those would be hard pressed to tell if they were modern or 70 years old. Sometimes there is a lot to be said about raw photography.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Obsolete equipment and antiquated film to achieve a vintage appearing, non-staged amateur photo is brilliant. That's an art!!!

Stogy, J.Ukrop and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  15. sololobo

sololobo

Super cool images, the second one of the window slot coupe with the Jax Car Club plaque from Omaha is a special car for me. It came to our local drag strip in Grand Island, Ne. from Omaha, and was Top Eliminator of the day several times when driven by Howdy Williams a Nebraska icon racer. It was found and brought back to life by a hot rod family and is enjoying a new interest in our area. Thanx for some bitchin photos.

16. chiro

chiro

Dammit Joey,
    Now I HAVE to send in the dozen rolls of expired medium format film I shot at TROG. Curse you, Joe Ukrop! Lol. Just kidding bro. Really love these pics. They are awesome.
    Andy

17. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Instagram is your friend…

18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Nice pictorial from those other photos from your friends. The digital age is among us and it makes taking good photos easier. The proliferation of social media is crazy as anything is up for grabs. If something is happening on the street, a million phones go up in the air taking movies or photos of what? Is social media instigating posting every minute of every action in public the going thing?

But, when friends attend any event, they see things their way and it adds to a good array of photos. Some mistakes in photography sometimes comes out the best.
    upload_2021-11-22_4-40-28.png
    I liked this photo, but that dot just kept bugging me, so it disappeared. Now, the photo has some character with a few blurry lines, mud on the windows and results of some happy times, characterized by this photo.
    upload_2021-11-22_4-41-37.png

Jnaki
    upload_2021-11-22_4-42-26.png

I still have this old original 35mm film camera from back when I started and it is just getting a little dusty, even in the photo drawer. I recently gave our “NEW/OLD” (old film style , but never been used) Canon automatic AE-2 camera and photo lens accessories to our granddaughter, as she was now getting interested in film photography. Her teenage perspective on things is always enlightening to us old folks. She is well advanced in Iphone film making and has created some great little movies just from that portion of photography.
    upload_2021-11-22_4-43-31.png
    Why did I not use the new Canon 35mm AE2 film camera? Just as I had all of the stuff ready for surf photography, sailing photography and some hot rods, the digital age plopped into our lives. It brought a whole new way to create the old colorful photo compositions and action shots.

So, now, it is up to her to continue her drive to do some creative film photography as well as adding to her arsenal of college bound (Applications) community movie film projects.

19. Brilliant. Cheers for those.

Stogy, J.Ukrop and hotrodjack33 like this.
  20. Looks like you stepped back in time. HRP

Stogy, J.Ukrop and hotrodjack33 like this.
  21. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Thanks for the virtual road trip, Joey! Nice snap shots.

22. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I think I was standing right next to you for a couple of those in jersey! Photos are so awesome! They help us relive great moments!

23. Jeff34

Jeff34

Hey Joey,
    So do you have Underground develop the film and then send you digital images rather than prints? I’ve been wanting to get back into photography, but it’s all changed. I do like to shoot film on my old Canon, though.

24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

25. That is a real compliment from a guy with his amount and depth of talent- just saying.

41 GMC K-18, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  26. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You been havin some big fun there mister!

27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In every major city, there is someone converting black and white film into prints and also transferring them to a flash drive for posterity. In our So Cal location, I was amazed that there were so many small companies and large commercial businesses that still develop b/w print film and develop color slides.

Before I gave my new/old Canon AE2 Film Camera and equipment to our granddaughter for her interest in film photography, I checked out where she could continue to purchase 35mm color slide film and rolls of Kodak 35mm Plus-X and Tri-X film.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/an-honest-pictorial.1248186/#post-14282213
    The commercial companies business models are such that they cater to the consumer to digitally copy old films, movies and tapes for DVDs or external hard drives. But, the smaller shops located in most cities deal with the 35mm film folks that still like using film for their shots.

Our granddaughter took several classes in film photography and developing in her high school curriculum. When she gets on something, we encourage her as much as we are able. So, that never before used camera equipment was just waiting for such a moment.

Now, her other interests lie in film editing and her experience with her IPhone movie editing projects are top quality. So, her new/old style camera equipment is ready for her explorations. We also gave her a nice digital camcorder when she is ready for that end of the spectrum. But these days, who can take away teenager’s interests in all things Iphone? Ha!

Jnaki

Good luck in your film photography. It still can be enjoyable. And the 35mm color/black/white film is still around in most major cities. A Google search is your friend for the specific location. Back in the time portal, stainless steel cans, rolling the photo film on reels to get them ready for the solutions was fun in a dark room.

But more fun when doing that process in a black, light proof bag with arm holes on the kitchen counter. After finishing the long 36 shot film negatives, the dark room looked like a clothes line with all of them hanging from a string stretched across the room.

Ahhh, the good old days. That scene can still happen in anyone’s home or garage if needed. A walk-in laundry room or small bathroom that has running water with a drain, can be converted to a great dark room easily. YRMV

28. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

29. I'm late to this thread, and didn't read it all but,
    Joey, this shot tells a big story!
    What other endeavor, sport, lifestyle, or whatever you call it,
    can transport you back in time, like a vintage hot rod!
    This one picture could have been taken 80 years ago!
    And you are driving it TODAY!
    Great eye for whoever took the shot, and great first shot
    for you to pick for the thread!
    And another great for the young guys like you and your buddies
    who really get what this "thing" of ours really is!!
    Honest-Leader-672x333.jpg