Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Timm builds a model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Six Ball i made it Just tall enough to slide a 44” tool box under one side, and my smaller bottom chest under the other half.

I was going to stick the 394 in the middle but it’s to long so I think a drawer or two will land there and probably a welder under that.

that’s why I left the cross piece off in the front.

2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Square feet is meaningless, I think of my shop in terms of cubic inches. :D

brEad, raven, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Forgot about the little cement footer at the bottom of the wall protruding out further than the sheet rock so I’m trying to decide between clipping the back legs to sit on top of the ledge or making the top a few inches deeper.

leaning towards making the top deeper. Thinking if I want to put the bench somewhere else is would be nice if the legs are all the same length as it is now.

though about making it some sort of storage but it seems like a good place to forget things exist spot

Stogy, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Make the top deeper. It's nice if you can sweep or blow the dust and dirt out from behind the bench.

Stogy, Thor1, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Build an addition on the back of the top with power strip & battery charging ports.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’m going to extend the top to the wall, and the plugs will go in front. Last work bench had them in and they were always in the way it dragging over something I was working on.

I tend to keep a little bit of small parts that are for the current project on the bench but otherwise keep it clean for active work. It’s not ment to be a shelf

Stogy, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Work bench-shelf, I didn't know there was a difference? I'll try to get my head around that, maybe it will help.

Stogy, Thor1, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Got a nasty old cabinet and some random fixtures off the wall today, going to finish up pulling peg board down shortly. Hopefully tomorrow it’ll go back up in the proper position.

Trying to figure out how to make minimal cuts to work around the electrical conduit present on that wall. Make it the least amount of work possible.

took a break to replace some light fixtures.

Pulled a light bulb and fluorescent tube fixture and screw in an adjustable 3 led panel light. Easily twice and bright! And I can see pretty quickly that adjusting the panels to aim the light will gain some more coverage.

I need to back the 46 out to get the third one swapped. I’ll pull the fluorescent fixtures down and hang my led banks after the work bench/ peg board situation is figured out.

They won’t be replacing the fluorescent fixtures I’m going to hang them on the door side of the garage, there’s a big beam going crosswise across the ceiling that’s blocking the new lights a fair amount.

figure I’ll hang one over the work bench for direct straight down light and then the other three will run length wise down the sides/ between cars.

had them like that at the old garage and it would light up the inside of a car fantastic compared to having a light directly over head

Stogy, Thor1, drdave and 3 others like this.
  9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Peg board sucks!
    The stupid pegs fall off every time you grab a tool off it. It seems to attract dirt and grinder dust behind it and the only way to clean it is blow it out and repaint it.
    I have a 4x8 on the wall and I should have ditched it in favour of painted plywood with nails driven into it.

Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve never had any problems with the books coming out? Though I have always used the small holes with small pegs.

this inherited sheet is the larger holes I believe so we’ll see what happens with the tubs of small hole fixtures I have.

I do like the plywood with screws in it plan though. I believe that’s what @cactus1 has going on in his shop and it looks great.

while we are talking about it I go the studs marked as best as I can figure and got the first panel hung last night. Need to cut up the next sheet to fit around some conduit. Once they are all up they’ll get painted white.

also decided to top the work bench with some Masonite. This plywood just feels… soft?

brEad, Stogy, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  11. 5B27F2D5-9823-499E-8BE9-9AE988C8400A.jpeg Yes I just used 3/4 plywood with finish nails used to hang all but the heaviest tools. Planning out groupings of tools was my method to try and get stuff where I wanted since flexibility is limited! (Well without filling in some holes, ha!) So far I haven’t had to move anything around.

I won’t lie, I was just as concerned with aesthetics as I was functionality. I tried to hang the more vintage looking tools rather than say the plastic handled screwdrivers.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    brEad, drdave, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’s also worth noting that 90% of my heavy use tools are in tool box drawers so the peg board items aren’t things that get pulled off all the time

Stogy, Thor1, cactus1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I would like to make better use of wall space and get bulky & seldom used tools out of the tool boxes. I like the peg board for some things and plywood with nails & screws for others. Get it done as much as you can before starting to work on cars. It would be like moving into an unfinished house which I did over 40 years ago. :(

loudbang, Stogy, Tim and 2 others like this.
  14. The blank canvas...
    382DECEF-521E-457C-89B6-7CEC59FEA95F.jpeg

And the progression. It’s much fuller now top and bottom (as you know @Tim)
    E5A90FEA-89FE-43E9-9DCB-976FF7BEF908.jpeg

And I also put a layer of Masonite on top so that it could be replaced if damaged. Also because it just reminds me of the benches I have seen in the past in old garages.

brEad, 2Blue2, Tman and 8 others like this.
  15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Nice! I put too many windows in my shop. The light is nice but they used a lot of wall space.

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Regarding pegs pulling out of the pegboard there are snap in plastic locks to prevent them pulling out and another easy fix is zip tie them...another thing you can do to pegboard once all is positioned is you can draw an outline around each tool and it provides a visual aid to locate the place it came from...leaves some memory to think of other things on the go...

Your garage builder must have built mine as I have about 4-5" high x 2-3" of ledge from the block foundation sticking out too. I offset the 3 rear legs of my Workbench to sit on the floor in the back

FH15SEP_PEGBRD_02_03.jpg

F0Y4GT2IHDULZ47.jpg

0_20211123_224859.jpg

61v9vduUqqL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    :rolleyes:...I bit the bullet and bought 10 pairs of these 22" slides for $85 Canadian on amazon...delivered and am making drawers out of 1/2" ply with masonite/hardboard front...the slides hold 70lbs per pair...

Why these slides...they have stops, are ball bearing smooth and pull out a full 22 inches...

I have 1/4" 2 slot track running the full width of the bench and 2 x 1/4" Hardboard panels that slide over to cover the drawers...when not in use...

It's a lot of work but I like homemade...and It's still in progress...

...and @Cactus's setup is pretty awesome...and patterned after that most awesome pic from the past...

0_grieps024-2.jpg

https://patganahl.com/2021/03/22/cover-story-iv/

Credit to Photographer, Owner

patmanta, brEad, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  17. Super88

Super88

patmanta, Thor1, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Super88 the French cleat walls are really a neat idea/ solution. I see them used a lot

Thor1, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  19. big john d

big john d
    from ma

saw a great idea ( maybe here) put a sheet of plywood on the bottom of the bench top two by fours then put hinges on the rear of the bench top you can lift the top and have a storage space with small dividers for nuts bolts even perhaps storage for die grinder ect in probably unused space also helps you to keep the bench clear

brEad, Thor1, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@big john d yeah that’s a neat one. I always make really vague Google searches and add garagejournal at the end and find lots of neat ideas.

Storage. Wood work bench. Garagejournal

etc.

love threads that are just ways to hold metal, or store stuff etc

brEad, drdave, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

One of the storage problems I have is smaller chunks of good metal that can not be stored like the long pieces. I could spend weeks sorting screws, bolts, nuts, & washers. Once they get out of hand it's a mess and I always seem to have so many left over at the end of a project? :rolleyes:

drdave, Thor1, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I have a small container I keep on the bench and as soon as it’s full of random nuts and bolts I sort them.

min theory you could take a coffee can of them and sort them while watching tv at night or something. Doesn’t take much attention just time

brEad, drdave, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Putting them in a container? That might help! At least walking in my shop would be safer.

brEad, Thor1, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Alright peg board hung, work bench deepend, space heater warming the spot up a bit and I rolled this huge can of old kilz around on the ground for five minutes. let’s see if it sticks!

It’s about 7-8 years old, I painted a wall with it as recently as 4 years ago. The internet tells me if it sticks it’s still good lol. Guess we are gonna find out with a 5 gallon drum like this run j g close to $100 I’m not about to let it go to waist.

painted bench and wall photos to come
    Hopefully!

should give me something to do while the ham is in the oven :)

happy thanksgiving guys

loudbang, Six Ball, drdave and 3 others like this.
  25. Happy thanksgiving brutha!

loudbang, Thor1, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You too man!

kilz was a bust, that shits rotten lol. Found a random gallon of white though! One pass done and I’m waiting for it to dry to do another but after I figured out how to paint peg board it went pretty easy

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    loudbang, Six Ball, drdave and 3 others like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Need to poke a few holes back open but two coats and it’s ready to go. Good cold day to try out the space heater and help it dry. Tempted to start loading it up tonight but I think I ate to much for that lol D151264D-08A6-42B1-BF3B-F5F8F33A4B29.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    patmanta, cactus1, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Started loading it up last night. Gonna take some thinking to get it right. Trying to get some room made for a daily to get an oil change before it’s freezing freezing out

Stogy, Thor1, Six Ball and 1 other person like this.
  29. Pics or GTFO @Tim :D

brEad and Stogy like this.
  30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Live with it a while before you make tool outlines on your pretty white paint. That white will make your shop so much brighter.

Stogy and Thor1 like this.