Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Am I the Only One ? Aging ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Ooh! I gotta get one of those for SWMBO. It'll sure beat her rolator!

Deuces and wicarnut like this.
  2. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

You are so right! All the appointments we call our social calendars.

Deuces, wicarnut and Stogy like this.
  3. Lmao! That's perfect nut! I've never heard it put that way! And yeah a 3X night is a good night!

Jack Wagon, wicarnut and Stogy like this.
  4. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Back surgery 2016, doctor said it was a 50-50 proposition in 2018 for a second time, risks outweighed the benefits. Can't feel my feet much, causes balance issues compounded by vertigo. But I keep on keeping on. Try to get into the garage every day or at least do some project around the house. Same story as most here. Did stupid stuff when younger. Never smoked, so at least I've got that going for me.

And it's been said before, growing old isn't for the faint hearted!

Deuces, wicarnut, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I guess I have the record here. I'm 83. My first car was a 34 sedan in 1956 and I've been rodding ever since. Still driving the 37 sedan I build in 1989. My only concession was adding power steering a few years ago. I get around OK, ride my bicycle 4 miles a day around the neighborhood, but don't have the endurance I once had. I can no longer walk the Daytona Turkey Run in the 2 days that I'm there. So this year I'm taking my scooter that's been in the shed for ten years since my foot surgery. I have a platform to put in the receiver. I probably won't be able to use handicap parking because I don't have the blue card and am probably not eligible for one anyway. Next week I'm going to NSRA Tampa and will not be taking the scooter. Tampa is much smaller than Daytona so I expect to do OK.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    302GMC, tommyd, 41 GMC K-18 and 6 others like this.
  6. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

Deuces and wicarnut like this.
  7. ken bogren

ken bogren

We have our share of the old age stuff acting up, but we're keeping on keeping on, to much left to do and see !

8. Karl_William

Karl_William

I'm only 44. I feel my pain.

Deuces, wicarnut and Stogy like this.
  9. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Ahhh 44! Those were the days...

302GMC, tommyd, seb fontana and 4 others like this.
  10. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

70 and feeling some pain to all the stupid human tricks from younger days. on the farm, we used to see who could pick up the front of the tractor. jump off the sides of the tobacco sheds. long way down. later at the fertilizer factory, 'not making 4 trips with 80lb bags'. carry all 4 bags, 320lbs, out to the dock. pick up a short block. numerous concussions. lots of dumb stuff. last one changed my life. now claustrophobic and can't race the dragster. son drives it.
    knees are on the way out, back is worn out, ticker is finicky, hearing going(tell my wife quiet is nice) but i'm having fun. :D:D

11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going through that "pride" thing right now with my wife. She gets real upset because, to quote her, "We never go anywhere". She has rheumatoid arthritis and can't walk any distance at all but she refuses to be seen in a wheel chair or with a scooter. We miss a lot of things that interest us because she won't go and then tries to put a guilt trip on me if I go by myself. Women, you can't live with them and you can't live with them;)

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I just tell people if you go with me. Do not look at your watch. I`m in no rush. We will take as long as you want at car shows, swap meets or just spending the day doing errands. If you want to stop and talk to someone, do it. If we need to stop somewhere or make an out of the way side trip. We will do it. At the drop of the hat, we will just go. This goes for friends, as well as with the wife. Life is short. Live with it and accept life`s challenges as it happens.

13. I'm 80 and dealing with prostate cancer that escaped. Still showing up even though the prostate is in the landfill. I'm on testosterone killing hormones that sap my strength and leave me fatigued. Used to load 3000 to 5000 94 pound cement bags on trucks daily. Now I can barely pick up a 60 pounder. Still, rather crawl than use a scooter.

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I'm retiring in 6 days! 45 years of walking /pounding concrete floors. The last 6 yrs i got myself into a high stress job. Good pay, but major stress. Up at 3:30 work to 4:30-5. Knees hurt bad.. i've lost about 35 LBS, need to lose some more. Don't know what i'm gonna do, but i wont have to get up so early ,no stress and no concrete.

15. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I am 63 and just had a ankle replaced, slowing me down. From walking with the boot/cast My back, ankle and knee are messed up, hopefully short term. I have been a bike rider in the past and before my surgery I was back on the bike a lot and felt really good, so I plan to ride more as I get better.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I turned 75 yesterday and have been seriously thinking about getting one to ride around shows on. Reason for me is that my knees hurt to beat hell after about fifteen minutes and at the last show I went to I made one pass though the event took photos and left and that is an event that I usually spend the whole afternoon at and go though the cars several times to find interesting things I may have missed. I found out later that I took one shot of a Hamber's ride and ordinarily I would have probably taken ten photos of that car.

Being able to use a skooter lets a lot of folks enjoy an event a lot more than we might and lets enjoy bigger events without giving out. If you can't deal with that so be it.

WalkerMD, Deuces, wicarnut and 5 others like this.
  17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on your retirement.:)

18. I retired 19 months ago at 65, best thing I have ever done. I got the big $$, and a good retirement but the stress definitely was not worth it. I had a massive heart attack and bypass at age 61, I was back doing heavy car work 5 months later. It was nice to be off work for a few months so I got a preview.

I tended to sit too much at work, although I did put some miles in every day and yes, hard floors everywhere. Since then, I eat better, sleep better and lost 25 pounds. I'm always doing something despite a little arthritis and a nagging back injury.

mnjeff, Blues4U, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  19. You fellas that are fighting with wear and tear, hell yes, rent or buy you one of those things, that way you can still enjoy yourself. Now with that said, if you can walk, get your lazy ass up and walk! Those are the ones that run into you or act like they have privileges. I couldn't tell you how many of those I've cut the tire on. Then watch the fat bastard smoke a cigarette while he walks back to the rental booth. :D:D:D

RMONTY, Blues4U and wicarnut like this.
  20. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Bobby Unser ran over a buddy's foot TWICE at PRI, in different years! He kept his eye out for him after that.

21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Bobby Unser run over somebody? LOL! Those Unser boys were like that.

Deuces likes this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Well guys, aint many spring chickens around this place. But like Lloyd said above, IF you can walk, do it. Just like with cars, sitting around not being used is harder on them, and us, then regular activity. Got to keep active, keep moving, keep doing the things you enjoy; don't get too comfortable in your favorite chair. The old saying: "use it or lose it" is true in multiple cases.

I've seen too many people work all their life, retire at 65 and have nothing to do, so they sit around the house and watch the tube, and their gone before they reach the age of 70.

I know my dad was busier after he retired than he was when working, said he didn't know how he had time to work before. He got busy taking care of things down at the church, helping other people who were worse off than he was, and doing projects around the house; and making plans to travel, which he and my mom did a lot of. He had itchy feet, he couldn't stay in one place too long. So he got to see a lot of the world before he died, most of the states, including Alaska, twice; across Canada from the West coast to the furthest point east you can travel by car on the N America continent, and even a trip to Australia, his last trip.

That's my plan too, just stay busy, & keep moving. I don't have the same travel bug that my dad had, but I do hope to get out and enjoy this great country, to drive through and spend some in the "fly over" part of it. But mostly I want to play music, hang with family/friends, and play with cars. My favorite things.

23. I have to tell you a little Story I Was a Biker for a lot of Years.!
    and did what most biker's do when you ride with a bunch of guy's do
    Stupid thinks but at the time it seemed write.
    I rode with a Apache Indian his name was Connie, & another biker
    name George & Me my nick name was Satan.
    We would go to different Bars to drink & Always get into a Fight!
    Because Connie was Mr. 4 by 4 so if you walked into a Bar & seen him
    you wanted to take him on & thats when the Shit hit the Fan.
    I was the First to get Up Raped my Chain around my Hand & said
    you have to go thru Me to get to him they would Laugh and thats when
    I hit the guy & as he went Down I hit him again!
    And if I went Down you had to Take on George 6.3 about 190
    We got thrown out of More Bars & Clubs for Fighting
    When we were Riding we had a Blast!
    So in my time I have Done a lot of Stupid things but I am Still here
    And if You seen me on the Street you Would Not believe my Age or talked
    on phone & every time I tell somebody They Bless Me
    I am like a ( Timex Watch ) Take a Licking & Keep on Ticking!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Swallow your pride and rent a scooter if need be. When I was 35, the wife knew I needed hearing aids. So in for a test. The doc thought I couldn`t ever hear very well. I thought I would be embarrassed with a set. But as soon I was able to hear clearly, it all changed. It was like a different world. I didn`t give a darn what people thought. And still don`t. Listen to what people are telling you. Sometimes they`re right. When seeing someone on a scooter or someone with a handicap sticker. Don`t judge them if they look healthy. You have no idea what they are going thru.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  25. Honestly, if renting or buying a scooter is what it takes to get you out to the cruise, show or swap meet, then by all means DO IT!

I have friends who don't go because of physical problems & that really pisses me off because I want them to be there to enjoy what I know they love!

Like many of you I have done things in my younger years that may or may not affect me in later years. Bounced a crotch rocket down the drag strip, lots of city & pickup football games, over 500 sanctioned softball games & tournaments. (I would still be playing if it were not for my transporting schedule!)

My next BD in June will be the big 60, but I really don't care. For a long time, I have said age is just a number & I have felt like I was 35-40 for about 8 years since I became Ketogenic. That & the fact that my religion is Christian Science which means I don't take medicine, have NEVER been to a doctor & have NEVER had any kind of vaccination which I believe keeps me much healthier than those that eat the standard American Diet & put poison in there body on a daily basis. I have been a health, workout & nutrition freak for a long time & if it were not for the fact that I love being on the road transporting, I would be getting paid to consult patients as a certified NTC to get off all meds for type 2 diabetes & auto immune diseases, etc,etc.

You all make your own decisions, but I want everyone to get out there & enjoy this great hobby with friends & others that are bitten by our great addiction! Nothing saddens me more than seeing someone who loves this hobby, but doesn't participate because of issues they have!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    Terry D, wicarnut and 55 Ford Gasser like this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

I don’t mind anyone on a scooter, but around people like at a swap meet/event only those slow mobility ones that move at a walking pace should be allowed.

27. twenty8

twenty8

Hey, hey, hey.....hang on a minute there. I'm going to pretend I didn't just hear that............:rolleyes:

Deuces, Blues4U, WalkerMD and 2 others like this.
  28. tommyd, Budget36, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  29. wicarnut

wicarnut

Anybody besides me moving a trailer around with a dolly wheel with a race car on it or your boat trailer with boat on run over their toes. My big toe nail looks funny to this day. Never made that mistake again. LOL. Wife/Trailer story, shes in front of trailer watching/directing me loading car in so I miss roll up wires on ramp door. I'm coming up ramp, trailer disconnects off ball and we go sliding back down driveway into shop door. Shitski ! forget 1x, got my butt chewed, she never stood trailer again, I hooked up a winch system with a remote so I could do it myself. Ever been run into back of ankle at grocery store ? Seen more than 1 man get his foot under rear tire pushing a racer up for truck push off, that and other reasons, we all bought 4 wheelers to push our racers around. I've never been run into at car show with a scooter yet, I look where I'm going, But will say I have seen guys with their whole families, kids etc., Not Kool IMO. The Scooters are for guys that need them, many things can take away the long walk ability at the big venues.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  30. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Yup to the first sentence. But stuupid me, I still do it occasionally to this day... Doh!

wicarnut likes this.