Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hot rod parts seller info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scooterville, Nov 22, 2021.

1. Has anyone ever dealt with @hotrodz_parts on Instagram?
    Would like to know if he’s legit or should I stay away. Says his name is Tom from Modesto, CA I believe.

2. Budget36

Budget36

Does he list an address? I’d do a drive by for you at the end of the week, but I won’t get out and knock on the door or anything.

3. Not yet. He’s given me 2 numbers both out of Florida but says he’s in Modesto which I assume is CA. He wanted me to send PayPal using Friends and Family which I thought was fishy.
    He has a lot of parts listed on his page but I don’t see anyone calling him out or anything. I don’t think I’m going to chance it. Thanks tho.

Budget36 likes this.
  4. The smart advice is look elsewhere, sounds fishy to me. HRP

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good on you being cautious.

Scooterville likes this.
  6. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Not saying it is a scam, but if you check his items, they are all very recent posts, and the background of the pictures taken, are all different. There has been a rash of clowns stealing legit pictures and trying to sell them as theirs...the out of state phone and F&F requirement could be red flags.

7. Budget36

Budget36

You could cut to the chase (and would be good for others here as well) and tell the fellow you don’t feel comfortable with the phone number/location thing and can “I have someone come by and pick up the part(s) and pay you cash? I’d really like to have eyes on them first”

He’ll either make up an excuse about why not, or say, “ya, not a problem “

I’m not volunteering to pick them up, I would if it was a HAMBr that had issues and couldn’t ship, just saying it might be a way to feel him out and let others know the outcome.

5window, Scooterville and tommyd like this.
  8. Thanks guys. I’m going to bail on it. Just wanted to see if anyone else had dealt with buying from him.

46international and Budget36 like this.
  9. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

I had 2 people try to sell me windshields for my 51 chevy. When asked on how to pay, it was paypal friends and family. I walked. They both used a picture off of e-bay.

Budget36 and Scooterville like this.
  10. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

He is a scammer.
    There are posts about him on Instagram

11. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

He got me u set a different account t name. His ads are old HAMB ads taken word fir word with pictures. He changes his Instagram account name every 14 days.
    I’ve been tracking him down through the internet and I think he’s a 21 year old from Cameroon in a Houston Texas.

46international and Scooterville like this.
  12. Tell him your cousin is going to stop by and look it over when he is in the area, and not to panic when he sees a cop car roll up, that will be your cousin coming to check it out while he's on duty.

13. Glad I didn’t send him any money!!!

14. adam401

adam401

He is a definate scammer. Been called out a bunch of times. I buy alot on Instagram. The past month the scammers have ramped there efforts up by 1000% its crazy.

On Instagram follow scammer_shtlist
    You'll see all the dudes reposting other peoples pictures trying to take your money

Pretty much if someones account is a few days old and they're selling all the best shit youve ever seen and their name is fuckin lame like it had a z instead of an s you should stay away

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  15. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

It's a scam. Leave it alone.

Scooterville likes this.
  17. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Major scammer, he is posting some of my old pics from my sales in the Hamb from yrs back... very fluent with the Hamb though... guys gotta start water marking their photo's

Scooterville likes this.
  18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Didn't know about following scammer_shtlist
    Didn't know about following scammer_shtlist

Scooterville likes this.
  19. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

Always trust your instincts.

Scooterville likes this.
  20. Clydesdale

Clydesdale

other places I have used classifieds before, require you to include a note with your name and date the photo was taken in every pic.

The name part might not necessarily help but the date could perhaps at least stop the reuse of photos at a later date?

Scooterville and 41rodderz like this.
  21. Reidy

Reidy

What about a can of Spam in every photo listed here. Then when we see a hotrod part with a can of Spam in the background we all no that if it is not on HAMB it is a SCAM and you should scram.

TrailerTrashToo and Scooterville like this.
  22. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

give me an address if he is from Houston, I will gladly look him up

73RR, Scooterville and lothiandon1940 like this.