Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cleaning up piston/rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Last year I soaked a set of used piston and rods in carb cleaner, got all the carbon off, etc. They are going in the block as-is with new rings.
    But they’ve been laying on a shelf collecting dust/ect.
    What should I use to clean these up? Solvent dunks, dawn soap and rinse dunks, etc?
    Yes, I should have bagged them last year, but I didn’t.

2. squirrel

squirrel

yes...whatever you use, make sure they get clean. And oil the pins well when you're done.

3. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Clean them up with solvent or carb cleaner, and make sure to clean out the ring groves (old broken rings work good) and lube the pins.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I use our dishwasher, then blow dry with air ...

5. Budget36

Budget36

All is cleaned from the previous use. Ring gaps have been taken care of. The dust/debris has just collected the past year.

bchctybob and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

You’re assuming I have a dishwasher;). I did ask a few friends, the answer wasn’t just no, but “eff no”. Lol

But, one of my daughters rents an apartment, might be a good option there. ;)

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

I like starting fluid for a final wash on small parts. Cheap compared to carb or brake cleaner

8. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does the Mrs. know about this? LOL :D;)

Hnstray likes this.
  9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was going to suggest this too, but you beat me to it. For what it's worth, you can also use a dishwasher to cook fish.

'34 Ratrod and Budget36 like this.
  10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^
    Actually, it was her idea to get one so we can clean non-greasy stuff ... she's one of a kind, & I'm a lucky fella.

Tman, Budget36 and 427 sleeper like this.
  11. Wash them in a good sink of warm water and dawn,,,,since they have already been cleaned .
    Blow them dry,,,,and oil the pins like Jim said,,,that’s S O P .

Tommy

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ yep, soap and water, I might dry them in the oven just to be sure there’s no moisture in the pin area then oil em and bag em.

13. 54chevkiwi

54chevkiwi

Is this thread for real..?
    its gotta be a troll right? ...right??

I mean.... “i cleaned my pistons but now theyre dusty. how do i clean the dust off them”

Tman, Truck64, 1946caddy and 4 others like this.
  14. Budget36

Budget36

No, I’ll explain it to you slowly so you will understand.
    Pistons were put in a pan with carb cleaner for two days Just the pistons. Not the rods. Are you with me?
    Okay, think when an engine is running, oil film is on everything inside the engine. Still with me or am I trolling ?
    So after soft bristling the carbon off the tops and lands, I wipe the pistons off and set them on a shelf.
    So 7/8 months later I’m going to put them in the block. mare you still following along? I hope you are.

Now they need to be cleaned. Normally I’d be up against two different things, a shop would give me a clean assembly I could blow off and install, or I’d have a née part that I could do the same with.
    My concern (if you are still following along) is what would be the best way to clean oil filmed and dust impregnated assemblies.
    Now you did read the replies I suppose. My concern with using a water type of solution would be rust. As noted by one helpful person, even after the dishwasher route he blew them off/ out. Seems like a good idea.
    So please go , Aw never mind. Spent too much time replying to your post to have to tell you what a real ass I think you are.

15. adam401

adam401

Sounds like youve got it under control. But just for someone who might come across this thread say through a google search: when cleaning and reusing pistons always make sure the ring lands are clean. They collect tons of crap and if not clean will mess up your newly installed rings.

16. Mineral spirits work well, but bag the parts up right after to keep them clean. I'll blow off the excess with compressed air.

Budget36 and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Scrub down with mineral spirits and a new stiff bristled parts cleaning brush. Dry thoroughly.Soak in a bucket of clean motor oil, and place into individual Zip Lock baggies. Store in a secure cabinet. Or just store them in the bucket of oil with the lid on. They will be ready to go for years.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    bobss396, Budget36 and Boneyard51 like this.
  18. indyjps

indyjps

After things are degreased and doing final wipedown.
    I use rubbing alcohol or acetone/ mineral spirits.
    Rubbing alcohol doesn't cost much and does a great job.

Budget36 and Boneyard51 like this.