Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering stabilizers.Who’s using one ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by A-Bomb, Sep 26, 2021.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try 23.

RICH B, theHIGHLANDER and Tman like this.
  2. Mimilan

Mimilan

I assume the Vega box is cross-steer?
    Cross steer and split bones /hairpins is the problem.

Split bones allow the front axle to "parallelogram" itself [shackle wobble] and will shimmy via the cross steer.
    Install a panhard bar [which you haven't mentioned]

Stogy and A-Bomb like this.
  3. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

I have a panhard bar

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are radials I understand...I know I've certainly ran Bias plys low and lower than that...can you run radials that low?

5. phill

phill

I had a front end shimmy in my Sport Coupe some years ago. Couldn't get the kingpins to wobble, replaced front shock absorbers because one felt a little soft, replaced tie rod ends because one felt a little gritty, replaced 4 bar bushes just because everything was apart and the had about 50,000 miles on them, put a different pair of front wheels on. No change. The front end is a dropped 34 axle with 4bar, panhard bar, disc brakes, cross steer and a small scrub radius.
    I then decided to change the king pins and bushes anyway. When I removed the cotter pins from the axle I found that the left hand stub axle rocked. The problem was an ovaled king pin boss in the axle. I had the axle bosses re-sized and re-reamed then put it all back together.
    The test drive showed that this fixed the problem.
    Phill

6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i have one i dont need . cheap !

Stogy and A-Bomb like this.
  7. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

thanks, I have one on order

Blues4U, 2OLD2FAST and Stogy like this.
  8. Wayyy too high. As noted try under 25 front

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes.

sidevalve8ba and Stogy like this.
  10. A-Bomb

A-Bomb

Will try it

Tman and Stogy like this.
  11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

One reason the stabilizer works is because it stabilizes flex in a small diameter tie rod. The vast majority of beam or drop axle cars use a wimpy 1" diameter tie rod, and they can easily flex. The shake or death wobble is often caused by the tie rod flexing and that can happen at certain speeds, or when going over bumps as you're traveling down the road.
    The stabilizer attached to the middle of the tie rod simply keeps it from flexing and shaking. But a better fix is to go to a larger diameter, or thicker wall tie rod that doesn't flex. I use larger 1.25" tie rods and drag links on all my straight axle builds, and have never had front end shake, or death wobble on any of them.

12. Great point.

Tow Truck Tom and Stogy like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had death wobble in one of my vehicles. The only thing that tamed it was the steering stabilizer.

That had a tie rod, and a drag link made out of 1-1/2" 0.250" wall DOM.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My ‘32 drove amazingly well without the VW style stabilizer . I finally added one and it didn’t seem to change much that I can notice . But after driving a straight axle 4x4 Power Wagon daily . I think a Radio Flyer would drive and ride great .

15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here is the VW damper installed on my Logghe car. I'm done racing for this year so I will try it out next outing in the Spring. It has a 6" range of motion.

steering damper 06.JPG

theHIGHLANDER and Ned Ludd like this.
  16. sdluck

sdluck

Rock auto Sach vw bus steering damper 313714 $20.79 is what is on my model A with vega cross steer.

17. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Running one on my A with Pete &Jakes complete front end. All new, no wobble, no issues

18. Ford makes one for I beam pickup trucks available at most autoparts and goes on with 2 clamps that come with it. They work great and go on in 15 Minutes.

19. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

The P&J stabilizer fixed my death wobble but I also changed all of the poly bushings on my front end also. Hope U get it fixed soon. It's a shakey situation.............

20. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any pictures of how you mounted it?

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

like many others , i have gone thru most all of cross steer . slution is a good track bar ................
    and no i cant spell !

22. sdluck

sdluck

I used a clamp around the axle and another one the tie rod. I will try and take pictures later.

23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i say one more time .............. TRACK BAR ............ your getting movement on axle side to side

24. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Try lowering the tire pressure first. Doesn’t cost a dime.

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i had to raise mine & it worked (20# - 25#)

26. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Caster angle can be very critical on the early Fords. 1/4 degree off can cause shimmy problems and running radial tires just adds to the need to get it to it's happy place. I think, from experience, that you may need to reduce you caster angle. 7 degrees sure didn't work on my A V-8. It was horrible. Kept reducing it a little at a time until, suddenly, no more shimmy. I did add a stabilizer after that but doubt it has much effect. Each case is different, however and I don't think any two need the same treatment. The fact that it only does it when decelerating has me puzzled. Speeding up or slowing down should not cause it to shimmy. You may have another problem.

27. You have to do all of this: ballance and true the rims and tires, have between 3 and 6 Deg of caster, adjust all the play out of the steering box, put new Mopar (big) rod ends on drag link and tie rod, ballance the rear wheels and tires, they can transmit wobble to the front end, add tube shocks, keep the tire pressere about 25 lbs and ad a steering stabilizer.