Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 3W my way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Xman, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Xman

Xman

I know where your coming from. I didn't post very many of my build pictures because I didn't think they were interesting to anyone but me. Thing is, I love looking at what everyone else is doing.

2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

man that thing looks killer! glad to see it 1 color. The stance is perfect... now pile on the miles!

3. LongT

LongT

Good attitude for anytime you seem overwhelmed too. Just do something!!

Car looks great!!

Bill

4. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Too bad about the bearing, but you've got to be stoked about the profile

5. bonesy

bonesy

6. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Dan that coupe of yours is looking Outstanding man! You are out of control. Keep up the good work.

Brad

7. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How's that beauty doing?

8. Xman

Xman

The engine never ran as good as I thought it should. I suspected the carbs (I rebuilt them)and planned to send them out to an expert. One day while cruising around locally, the engine backfired and quite. Had to tow it back home. Come to find out the Mag took a crap. I sent it to Joe Hunt and they put a coil in it and now the engine runs great.
    I have a couple hundred miles on it now and lovin it. Looking forward to making rod runs this year.
    First chance I get I'm going to shoot a video and post it here. I always like it when others do that.
    Dan

9. mercmaniac

mercmaniac

Love your 3w. Here’s some photos of my recent build. Looks like I’m in good company! I build about two cars a year , and this one went to OK. about a year ago.

Attached Files:

10. Xman

Xman

My car bad 34.jpg as it is today. Yours is incredible!

11. Xman

Xman

OK so I screwed up and sold both of my 3W coupes. To rectify the situation I started another 34.I swear I'm keeping this one
    I have the chassis started and will post pics soon. No body yet but looking. It will follow as closely as I can with the car pictured above, so stay toned.

12. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool.Can't wait to follow along again.Love your stuff Xman.

jammer likes this.
  13. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Xman

Xman

I have the new frame put together and a quickchange mounted. The front will be a spring behind with a V8 60 axle. I cut the center out of an aftermarket crossmember and used it to make a flat one that is mounted at the top of the frame rails. This is very close to what I have done in the past.
    I am also finishing up on the build of a Mustang Bullitt so the 34 project has to share my tome. 100_1295.JPG 100_1300.JPG 100_1307.JPG

15. Xman

Xman

Picked this up 100_1320.JPG today along with a pile of parts including the most perfect frame I've seen. To bad I don't need it now.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

17. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow .Couldn't happened to a nicer guy. Sweet!

18. Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. JimSibley

JimSibley

Man, i love this car. This thing is as badass as they get!

20. Xman

Xman

Thanks for the encouragement guys, it helps a lot when your working by yourself.
    I removed all the wood from the body and will be taking it to the strippers to totally clean all paint and rust out. I'll have nice fresh metal to work with.
    Will be chopping it 6 inches.

Tim, XXL__, 2deuces64 and 2 others like this.
  21. 51box

51box
    from MA

@Xman Your old 3W was a great looking car. Look forward to this new build, keep the pics and details coming!

22. Xman

Xman

100_1344.JPG 100_1345.JPG 100_1347.JPG So, I loaded the body and small parts up and drove down to Portland Oregon to get it dipped. Had a quote before I left and thought it was high but probably worth it. After unloading at the stripper, the price more than doubled. Said FU and brought the car back home. Having it blasted locally.
    I have the new floor mostly done. Used Tom Bays subrails and sheet metal from a local supplier. Since I will be chopping it I decided to go ahead and cut the cowl section off and get it mounted to the new floor. It will be easier to work on it while its on the frame rack as well.

23. Xman

Xman

I decided to go ahead and replace the rt side quarter panel and panel below the trunk lid. Still splitting my time between the 34 and my 68 Mustang FB so things go slow on both cars.
    Getting ready to channel the body 2 inches. Never done this before so I'll be going slow and take my time. My other chopped 34 was channeled 2 inches but that had a Don Smart full floor. I'm no Don Smart but I'm going to give it a try. IMG_0770.jpg IMG_0771.jpg IMG_0291.JPG

24. Xman

Xman

Almost done with the 2" channel. I started by modifying the feet of the cowl. Then cut and tack weld in the 2" strips in the sub rails. Then bolt the cowl back on the floor that is solidly bolted down on the frame. I could then put the rear body in place and start tacking everything in so nothing would shift. I'm currently working on the rear floor area so it will flow together and not look cobbled together. I'm very happy with the progress so far. By the way, I did put both doors in place with gaps set dead nuts before tacking the cowl and body section in place,(very important step).

100_1348.JPG 100_1349 (1).JPG 100_1351.JPG 100_1357.JPG

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks nice, just scrolled up to see the old coupe, will the rear tires fit the wheel wells the same?

Bob

26. Xman

Xman

Yes , the tires will fit the same and the profile of the car will be exactly the same.
    Next projects are steel B pillars and then chop the top. That's when it starts looking like my other 34.
    The new magneto came back from Joe Hunt for the flathead and I ordered the Schroeder steering box.
    Aren't we havin fun. 100_1355.JPG

Tman, 3blapcam, Jim Bouchard and 4 others like this.
  27. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man I love this thread!

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  28. Xman

Xman

I decided to assemble the car as a roller so I could see how the stance was going to look. I think it's going to be just right after the engine, trans and other weighty stuff is installed, so I; ok with it at this point. Checked my windshield frame and it is too nasty to use so I'm 100_1362.JPG 100_1360.JPG on the hunt for a good one! Anyone have a good one?
    Not sure about the wide 5's look but I'll use them to roll the car around in the shop.

29. Xman

Xman

After I posted the pictures, I see I forgot to point out that all 4 tires are 600X16s. The stanse will be very different with 550X16 front and 750X16 rear.

30. Squablow

Squablow

Do you still have the old panel from below the trunklid, and would you sell it? Because I'd buy it, even if it's fucked up. I'm trying to piece together a roadster out of original steel and I have nothing for below the trunklid, I'd be thrilled with even a shitty one. Same with the RH quarter, even if that had to get cut into chunks to ship it easily. I've got some quarter panel sheetmetal but any extra bits would help.

Coupe looks good though, loving the build.

yard man and loudbang like this.