Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical To the guys with with custom white upholstery.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40ply, Nov 20, 2021.

1. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Mark and HRP for the tips!

dana barlow and Moriarity like this.
  2. I offer the same encouragement as all the other posts. I have 3 white tuck and roll interiors (one I’ve worn out from use, but it was still clean) that pretty much get driven every day and have never really had any trouble keeping them clean. No question I’d do another one in a heartbeat. Go for it…you won’t look back in regret.

dana barlow and Moriarity like this.
  3. Thanks guys, a lot of positive encouragement and good tips here, it's appreciated. Also lot of beautiful cars for inspiration as well. I think the perforated vinyl gives me more of a muscle car vibe than a custom feel. I was also worried about the perforations lining up funny but never thought about what I could see through them.:eek: Those that are using vinyl with the piping at the bows, is that just regular standard type vinyl?

dana barlow likes this.
  4. @dana barlow, that interior looks great. I’ll check out your tech thread on making it, too.

dana barlow likes this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

It was as if I lived in one of 4 1950’s Chevy Sedans during my high school days. It was the thing to do to get custom white upholstery in any modification to the sedans. One was a silver 56 Chevy 2 door post, another was a custom Green, 54 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop, a 46 Purple Ford Coupe, and a 1940 two door Red Ford Sedan were the ones to showcase the white Tuck and roll upholstery.
    upload_2021-11-22_4-15-18.png
    They were daily drivers and did a lot of weekend cruising, too. The 54 Bel Air and 56 Chevy two door even went to the beach for some surf sessions. But, if any kind of tanning lotion was used and if it got on the material, which it did, then anything else that sits on the stain will leave a deposit of any color or grit.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1940-ford-coupe-interior.1246243/#post-14253745

All of the white interiors were done South of the border, except for the 40 Sedan that had a local So Cal shop do the work. They all looked good day or night. But, the maintenance of cleaning the interior was a daily thing with wiping off stains from anything, usually Levis and dark blue/black pants. Most materials are dyed and they rub off with the constant in and out of the daily grind. If the hot rod guy had Levis with some oil mixed in to the stains, then it was necessary to use more powerful cleaners.

Jnaki

The style of the 50s cars were what we drove. Some people did not care how much effort went into the cleaning and care of the white tuck and roll. We did spend Saturday mornings doing extra cleaning due to the white upholstery. Or prior to an evening out or an important event, so the car would be spotless. we had extra time and it took extra work, at the time, it was worth the effort to clean it.

Even the roof door jamb and post area took the brunt when people grabbed for some rear seat support in getting access to going in or out. But, white tuck and roll was the choice of most everyone that got the installation, whether in the USA or not. the interior roof had plain white Naugahyde with sewn in lines, one had tuck and roll to match the package tray in the rear, and one of them had the perforated holes in the material. It was the cost that was different and how it looked inside of the custom interior.

My brother and I never had white upholstery or white tuck and roll in any of the cars. We had plenty to worry about transporting slicks in the back seat, tool boxes and spare parts. But our clear plastic seat covers did the trick. It was a laughing matter, as no one put plastic seat covers on teenage hot rods, fast sedans, and no one definitely did over white tuck and roll. It just took daily and weekly cleaning to get things clean. Blue pants, Levis, black slacks, which ever choice was the daily in and out material, they left prints and rub offs.

The closest seat material we recently have/had was a light Grey Leather. Over time, they too needed cleaning of any type of dyed cloth rubbing along any surfaces. (Especially on the threaded areas.) So, most of our cars since those hot rodding days were black.
    upload_2021-11-22_4-26-9.png The last 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery had light tan seats and that color showed material rubbings easily. But by this time, manufacturers of Leather and Naugahyde had products that cleaned any color leather or other smooth surface material. That made it easier, but still, extra work.

So, dark material is best, but it is difficult not to like white tuck and roll everywhere as we did when we were teenagers. It just takes time to clean and keep it clean. My wife and I have a white leather couch and sit on it daily. Despite the sealer and conditioner we put on the surfaces, it tends to pick up just about anything that is placed on the surfaces. Grab an arm getting in or out and even with clean hands, it leaves something until someone touches it again creating a stain.

The white leather couch fit the décor and when we get another new one after the pandemic is over, we will have to consider a different color. But, any light color in leather has the same tendency as white tuck and roll. (prior to the white couch, we had dark tan leather one and it, too, needed daily maintenance, even with our clean hands) Meaning, cleaning and weekly maintenance to the nooks and crannies.

Our dark grey leather sectional in the other room can stand to have the dog on top, people sitting on it endlessly and both of us watching TV daily. The dark grey leather holds up well and there is no sign of any wear or stains. But, just in case, the maker of our other leather chair had their cleaner available and it works when there is a stain on any leather surfaces.

So, if you want and get white upholstery, be prepared to clean it daily, as we all wear colorful clothing, including the blue Levis and other dyed materials. It will stain or at least leave stain marks with daily use. Even old corduroy shorts in black, blue or other colors will be a part of the staining process with daily use. YRMV

GordonC, dana barlow and 40ply like this.
  6. I agree...leave the perf vinyls to the muscle car guys. So far as the piping, my 50 chevy has a white headliner with contrasting purple piping. They just take the regular vinyl and sew it over the piping cord (core). Easy peasy.

40ply likes this.
  7. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

409 cleaner and a terry cloth. Dad had this done in the early 90s. Daily driver but yes it is hard to keep nice.

Attached Files:

drdave likes this.
  8. wicarnut

wicarnut

I posted this pic to show marine grade vinyl, seating/back area is perforated and was good for breathing, back/butt never got wet, rarely ran the AC in this car. I've owned cars years ago with vinyl and they do not breath, AC does not help, like your choice of white, I had a few in past and only one black interior mistake, you can not give me car with a black interior. Good Luck, Be careful with your choice, way too many stories of crappy work and interior install Jail.

9. 1time

1time
    from minnesota

1933 Ford 046.JPG I use a product called Fantastic works great

EVL401, drdave, rod1 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Have white in Taboo, and have had other white interiors in other cars. New blue jeans are probably the only thing that makes it where your need to clean the seats often, but once you find a good cleaner, its pretty quick. In high school my o/t Camaro had white interior and I would clean the driver seat once a week from my jeans where you would slide in. I love the look of all white or white/other color interiors on these cars, it almost always works and looks good.

drdave likes this.