Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Retirement Project Lasting Longer Than Retirement?...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOU WELLS, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yours also....

LOU WELLS, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personal experience says that we don't always dedicate the time to the project that we thought we would. if the grand kids are close, going to their ball games and other activities becomes a lot more important than a couple of hours of shop time. If it is too hot out in the work area or too cold out in the work area we tend not to be as dedicated as when we were younger and would sit in a snow back on Saturday to do a brake job because we didn't have a garage to work in.
    For some of us taking care of or checking on elderly parents takes up a fair amount of the day's time.
    Then the simple fact that we don't move as fast as we used to doesn't help get things done very fast.

TomT, Jessie J., 73RR and 6 others like this.
  3. I was concerned you were getting a job!

4. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I think 40's look so beautiful in single stage colors, especially the original colors.

klawockvet, Stogy, SlamIam and 4 others like this.
  5. jim snow

jim snow

X2. Snowman ⛄️

Stogy and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Not To Worry....I Had One.. 116288341_2701172043540393_3136008016228164639_n.jpg

hotrodharry2, Lil'Alb, fauj and 13 others like this.
  7. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Just remember something I learned years ago from a government contracting trainer: Better is the enemy of good enough!

Make it run, beat the snot out of it, and fix the rest as time energy and money allows.

I am only a year and a half into retirement, and reading all of the comments helps motivate me. I've got 2 project cars, and figure if I don't finish one or both, then a certain nephew on here will get the chance...

fauj, jim snow, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man I've had some terrible experiences with that type of winch...I guess you had a good go with yours...that was some precious cargo...

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. SlamIam

SlamIam

I got parts and projects when I was working overtime to insure I could never run out of projects in retirement, 10 years now - finished my avatar, don't push myself, go see my grandkids, help with preservation of a historic building downtown, take a day off when I feel like it - I don't make deadlines, too much like work - I do get my projects driveable as soon as possible and have fun with them long before the bodywork gets done

chevyfordman, bchctybob and LOU WELLS like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Well said. I retired in June this year, but I'm still working part time 3 days a week. The extra home time has been great, but has been filled with more household projects than shop time. I did manage to get My car back on the road, but haven't had time to refine some things I don't like how they worked out yet. Right now I'm knee deep in a floor replacement in the house, a retaining wall in the carport, and still have the bathroom to redo. Temps have dropped and I find the car stuff being pushed back until warmer weather. When I quit working completely, I hope to be able to do what I want when I want, if my health holds out maybe I can.

bchctybob and LOU WELLS like this.
  11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm, at the "awkward age"; all of the grandkids are old enough to have lives of their own, but not old enough to produce any great-grandkids.:rolleyes:

LOU WELLS likes this.
  12. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

All Excellent Comments And Appreciated...The Red Ram Ran Very Nicely.... 28619490_1996853353972269_4029319986682001056_o.jpg

13. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I started restoring my off topic high school car right out of high school now 45 years later still not done. I retired last year so the gto is picking up the pace, hope it dose not ( the project part) out last my retirement.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  14. bchctybob

bchctybob

I tend to overlook the accomplishments that I have completed since I retired because there’s always more to do. My wife reminds me of that when I start feeling like I’ll never get all these things finished. I just try to get something accomplished everyday no matter how small or which project. I guess it really won’t matter if I don’t finish everything, it’s the desire to drive them that keeps me getting up each morning. Hopefully, they will all be drivable before I check out but there’s a lot of work to do and it just may last well past my expiration date. We’ll see.

15. AWESOME CAR, I'm coming up on 63 and have 4 project cars ahead of me. I'm either very optimistic, ignorant, hopeful, stupid or all the above. Time will tell.

16. finn

finn

That would be me.

I’m slowly starting to realize that, at this rate, I won’t finish any of them. Also realize that maybe there’s nothing wrong with that.

bchctybob, LOU WELLS and chevy57dude like this.
  17. Yeah, at this rate I can never die!:eek:

LOU WELLS likes this.
  18. v8flat44

v8flat44

VERY NICE & I'm a flathead guy. A few posts back, being wedged in was mentioned. Kinda neat; a Hemi that is "wedged" in. One sweet est up you have htere Lou !!!!!

LOU WELLS likes this.
  19. v8flat44

v8flat44

Sheesh, why don't I eddit these things....oh well. Sweet set up you have there....there I did it right or rite or......

LOU WELLS likes this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-11-21_3-54-43.png

Hey LW,

I knew the color was similar to your sedan delivery and that it needed a little boost. The project is pretty outstanding. It would be a nice couples coupe for my wife and I to cruise around during the pandemic. But, the title of the thread is confusing.

“Longer than retirement” means different things to some, but is sounds like a permanent thing that we usually don’t want to think about or consider for now.

It is a good thing to clean up the last few projects and get things in order these days. No one wants to have our remaining family look at the stuff accumulated in the garage and think… what the… and be puzzled. My wife is one that wants things in neat and orderly fashion. She says that a clean and orderly garage is a good sign. But, that stuffed drawers and tall cabinets still hold too much clutter and needs to be cleaned out.

That in itself is a good thing because, during this pandemic and retirement, it gives me (and others) time to get things cleaned out since we no longer have use for it. I thought I would never get over the idea of not having a drill press, table saw or a bench vise. But, it was just one day, they were gone and it is a little bit cleaner and organized in the garage.

Jnaki

It would be nice to have a project like your 1940 coupe sitting in the garage space, but we all have different roads to follow or pursue. Nice project… We still love 1940 Fords and are planning, before it is too late, to get one for our last mini project, just to enjoy this pandemic epidemic in a different light.
    upload_2021-11-21_3-55-54.png
    Our history with the two 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery hot rods are memories that are hard to forget. Photos do not do those memories justice, but old photos are better to spur on the valuable time we spent in our hot rod cruising days. At least this time around, there will be little extra work, but the sedan will definitely have more room for our teenage granddaughter to either drive the sedan or at least enjoy what we used to feel, driving a cool hot rod, with two old folks in the front seats. YRMV

bchctybob, LOU WELLS and v8flat44 like this.
  21. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Very Well Said Janki And I Have Always Planned On Leaving My Heirs Cars And Tools That Are Easy To Sell In A Shop That Is Not A Hazard To Move About In And The Rest Is Up To Them....Appreciated... ODD ENDS 2016 002.JPG

22. Im turning 75 next month. I still work 2 or sometimes 4 days a week.
    Im buried in projects but somewhat concerned about finishing them.
    7 close friends in my age bracket have passed away in the past 3 months.
    I fear that unknown expiration date stalking me.
    Of course when my time is up MY PROJECTS are completed.
    Ponder that for a while.

23. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

I retired 22 years ago, and am still gathering parts for my project that I thought would only take a year. Probably will never be completed, but I have enjoyed the pursuit. Never claimed I was fast, just half fast. :D

24. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I dig the Merc wheels and ‘50 caps.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  25. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

I retired 10 years ago and have built 6 cars over that time. Current project below.
    At some point there will be an unfinished project. Great job on yours Lou.
    IMG_1044.jpg

26. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Hey Lou. I see some pedal cars in the garage. Do you still have the Ferrari that you bought from me about 30 years ago?
    Wayno

LOU WELLS likes this.
  27. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Thanks Wayno And The Kids Left In It And Have Not Been Seen Since... 24210503_10155967347933035_7735080619651783043_o.jpg

hotrodharry2 and Elmo Rodge like this.