Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Storing a transmission

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by trevorsworth, Nov 21, 2021.

1. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stupid question time… I have a nice 1936 transmission I am intending to use later. I have drained it & cleaned it out as it had been sitting outside and had some water ini it, but it is now bright and clean inside. It will be a while before I get around to using it. Should I fill it with oil in storage or will it be ok dry?

loudbang likes this.
  2. I would definitely put oil in it. I don’t think the type is important, but the way my luck works, it will rust internally if left dry. I would even overfill it so the main shaft is covered as well.

Jibs, loudbang, Desoto291Hemi and 3 others like this.
  3. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I would fill it and rotate it to get some lube on everything.

4. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. I am thinking I’ll fill it up with (clean, barely used) 40w motor oil for storage when I have to drop my pan here in a bit.

5. Condensation from normal temperature changes with humidity in the environment, will cause water inside and outside everything. Keep the trans lubed (overfilled) during storage.

alanp561 likes this.
  6. Great, in the future someone will install the transmission (nice 1936 transmission), not knowing, or forgetting that there is motor oil, and not trans lube in the transmission. Drive the vehicle with it's newly installed transmission, and then be wondering why the thing turned to worn out junk. Please, install gear lube in the transmission.;)

alanp561 likes this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And NOT GL5.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  8. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^anybody who would install a vintage used transmission and not change the fluid is beyond this kind of help.

9. ^^^anybody who would install a vintage used transmission and not change the fluid is beyond this kind of help.

^^^^ hey look there already is oil in the trans,... lets take the car for a test drive down to the parts store, to buy some NEW 90 weight to change out that old oil ,TOMMOROW in that nice transmission that I just installed . :(

Please, install gear lube in the transmission.

10. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ll put a sticky note on it so I don’t forget. ;)

I wouldn’t think anyone would try to install a transmission that is still full of oil, certainly not me.

Jibs, loudbang, Jrs50 and 3 others like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

What you need to do to store it, depends on where it is stored. If it's in a well insulated building in a relatively dry climate, then no precautions are necessary. If it's outside in a wet place, then bring the damn thing inside so it has a chance to survive.

12. Oil level will be low anyway if you don,t seal off the bearings on both ends.

13. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It will be stored in my garage but it isn’t sealed or climate controlled so I want to make sure I give it a shot. I try to keep anything usable in there so it will be worth something to the next guy even if I don’t use it.

As for the estate sale scenario, at 26 if I’m having an estate sale there will be much more important unfinished business than the type of oil in my transmission. As long as it keeps it til I need it it’s gonna be fine. Now if you told me it would potentially cause problems even after replacing with gear oil that would concern me. Please keep in mind I don’t have a lot of cash to throw around so not spending $40 to fill a transmission with oil that will be drained and replaced again anyway, when I have $300 in the bank, seems wise to me.

Jibs, loudbang, Dick Stevens and 2 others like this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put it in your hall closet.

15. chucka

chucka

NO, not in the hall closet! Those hangers won't even begin to hold it! Don't bother asking me how
    I - - - never mind

16. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it was mine, and I wanted to give it a decent shot of surviving storage and not break the bank, after your cleaning I would:
    1. Buy a can of LPS 1 and spray the inside of the case and all of the gears.
    2. After the LPS dries, go to Tractor Supply or a big box store and buy the cheapest motor oil you can find. Weight doesn't matter. Motor oil is cheaper than gear oil. And as mentioned, when you do get gear oil it needs to be an older GL rating that is yellow metal friendly. Fill to normal level and rotate the gear set.
    3. Install cover and tag the transmission as being filled with storage oil.

trevorsworth likes this.
  17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fill it up with (clean, barely used) 40w motor oil for storage when you have to drop your pan here in a bit. Then roll it around to get oil everywhere on the inside, put it in gear and spin the input shaft a few revolutions, stick it in a large plastic bag and put it on the shelf.

18. BJR

BJR

After filling it with oil it wouldn't hurt to spin the thing while in gear once a month.

loudbang and trevorsworth like this.
  19. trevor, I think your idea will be fine. That is something I would do. If one wants to get REAL protective, store it , with the oil inside, in a vacuum sealed bag. Or drop it down in a pail of oil.

Now if only the transmission I want would show up.

Ben.

trevorsworth likes this.
  20. redoxide

redoxide

No need to over fill it, oil will adhere to it , if your storing it for 30 years forget it, sell it , if your storing it for a couple of years it will be fine with a spray of good lube then stuff it with newspaper, soak the paper in oil if your that worried , remember that greasy paper you used to get gears and bearings wrapped in ,, same idea ,, stops moisture and keeps things dampened with oil .. No need to go mad, these things lived under cars in all weathers for years ..

loudbang, ClarkH and Jrs50 like this.
  21. Lol,,,,,
    In my old Mopar manual,,,,70 model,,for an A833,,,it read to use 90 weight in warm and hot summer climates,,,,,,in very cold winter months,,,,use ATF,,,,,yes ATF .
    So,,,,I think even motor oil would be okay for a few miles,,,,LoL.
    What makes gear oil so good,,is not just the viscosity,,,,it’s the EP additives.
    Extreme Pressure,,,,.

Tommy

loudbang and seb fontana like this.
  22. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

what he said..vacuum sealed came to mind...high and dry is the key...

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Under da bed.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.