Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical To the guys with with custom white upholstery.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40ply, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Looking after to redo the upholstery in my 40 sedan in a traditional white tuck and roll. I'm looking for some advice or suggestions from those that have it in their cars. Would you do a white interior again? Hard to keep clean? Any lesson learned? Also what material did you use for the headliner. The headliner is a suspended type with bows. I have heard regular vinyl is too heavy but I'm not a fan of the perforated type. I've also been shown tier vinyl just not sure about it either.

bchctybob and Fortunateson like this.
  2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

If the theme of the car asked for a white interior I wouldn't hesitate. Nothing looks cooler than white tuck and roll in a hot rod. While not in a hot rod I've had 2 cars with white interiors, a 66 Impala SS and a 72 Grand Prix. They did require some extra maintenance but they were in daily drivers.

3. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Doing a customers "A" right now with all white tuck and roll. The headliner will be perforated.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. I love my white interior. Just have to wipe it off once in a while. I’d do it in a heartbeat again.

bchctybob likes this.

5. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Fresh blue Levis will stain leather..

loudbang, SS327, rockable and 3 others like this.
  6. It never crossed my mind to do anything other than white. Would never reconsider it. Front seat is leather, rear seat is vinyl, but you can't tell the difference at all. No problem keeping it clean, but then I NEVER get in it with dirty britches ......

jim snow and bchctybob like this.
  7. White pearl vinyl....

One issue I've seen come up; if you attend car shows, printed flyers with the printing against the material can 'bleed' onto the white and stain them. We tell anybody dropping flyers at our shows to make sure to keep them off the seats.

8. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

I find its easy to keep clean and if for any reason I may have some concerns getting the white dirty a simple towel to sit on solves the problem.

loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I had white vinyl in my 55 for almost 20 years, lots of miles. It did get dirty, but I drove it a lot and didn't mind. Had a perforated thin vinyl headliner, which was fine, although if you looked close, you could see the metalized film insulation...so if you do use it, think about what the perforations will show.

40ply and bchctybob like this.
  10. If the grain in the material is very deep, it will take a lot of effort to keep clean. The smoother, the better in my exp.

40ply likes this.
  11. jaracer

jaracer

Love the white interior in my 57.

12. stinson

stinson
    from alabama

I love my white interior but its pretty dirty especially the stitching, what do you guys use to clean with?

13. john walker

john walker

Best to find a color that matches the grease on your hands. White carpets too, hell ya. Not.

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Heavy material for the headliner is not a problem.

40ply and Moriarity like this.
  15. Kinda depends on what you do for a living, and where it's gonna be parked, alot. Had a 66 Charger with an all white interior when I was working two fulltime foundry jobs. All you had to do was look at the interior and it was dirty. 69 GTO. Had that one when I was keepin' track of my rental stuff. Stayed pretty clean. I found towels were your best friends.

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My interior is white with a pleated broadcloth insert. The stock interior was white for this year with inserts. I had the perforated head liner removed and the shop found a vinyl headliner material with a miniature herringbone pattern from a bmw and it looks great.

-Brent- and bchctybob like this.
  17. goldmountain

goldmountain

I had a headliner made out of material that was too thick. I couldn't pull it tight enough.

18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

My '71 cutlass supreme had a Pearl white vinyl interior Remember the orange fender covers the clean towel guy had ? Always had the seats covered except for date nights or vacation trips ,got clean covers every week .

427 sleeper likes this.
  19. bchctybob

bchctybob

Several of my cars have had black and white interiors, it was easy to clean when it needed it. In my ‘55 F100 I let it go to develop a patina to match the rest of the truck. Looked right.

427 sleeper likes this.
  20. We have a green & white interior in the Ranch Wagon, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    Blues4U, 40ply, dana barlow and 4 others like this.
  21. SS327

SS327

My 70 GTX had a white interior. My 65 nn maroon GrandPrix has a pearl white interior and I love white interiors. Like said earlier don’t wear new blue jeans in them until they have been washed about a dozen times.

kidcampbell71 and 427 sleeper like this.
  22. I have a white tuck & roll interior in my 47 Chevy, with a matching tuck & roll headliner. Just wipe over with some spray cleaner every now and then, a bit extra on the door trims, they get dirty the quickest. To keep the seats clean, I make everyone get in my car nekid. Maybe not.....

brEad, loudbang and jimmy six like this.
  23. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In keeping with the white interior theme I have one also in my roadster and can already see it starting to show signs of being dirty. Mine is a marine grade vinyl. What all are you guys using to clean them with?

20211026_175346.jpg

Blues4U, 40ply, jimmy six and 2 others like this.
  24. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I absolutely love white interior. My 48 sedan was white leather except for the headliner which was vinyl. Used saddle soap and/or Meguiar's leather cleaner. The pix our from the add to sell the car after driving for 21 years. The coupe is bead rolled sheet metal painted white headliner is vinyl) and really easy to keep clean.;) Its basically a open car so needed easy maintenance.

Attached Files:

Blues4U, 40ply, jimmy six and 2 others like this.
  25. reagen

reagen

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have a bunch of cars with white interiors. One thing that is VERY IMPORTANT when you are choosing a color of white is this... Do not choose a stark white that is as white as a piece of paper. It looks cheap and "plasticy" if you know what I mean. always choose something off white just a touch or choose a pearl white. Mine are pearl and they look great. White does not get any dirtier than any other color. I have been in my corvette with dirty pants on like if I am working on something and have to run to the parts store. It cleans up easy, I use Kent vinyl and plastic cleaner. It literally takes 10 minutes to clean the whole interior so no excuses.... corvette.JPG corvette2.JPG corvette3.JPG corvette4.JPG
    D8E71116-3E90-46A4-A711-E8AA0979C0B6.jpeg

Blues4U, brEad, 40ply and 4 others like this.
  27. I keep a Mr. Clean magic eraser handy, they do a great job. HRP

28. firemangordy

firemangordy

I've had white upholstery in my '55 for 25 years. It's held up very well and is easy to clean. We put white upholstery in my daughter's '55 3 years ago. Both have solid vinyl (not perforated) headliners with colored piping at each bow. 2-05-05 022.jpg CMD 55-138.jpg CMD 55-124.jpg

lucky, jnaki, Blues4U and 8 others like this.
  29. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My Son Lance,wanted white for for his T-bucket,so that's what we did at home. After he asked a few shops how much too do it ??
    Each one was very high $$$$. So I said,lets try an do it our self together at home. We did ,an for never having done it be for,came out OK. I did have time back in the 1960s, a part time job doing clean up at a small upholsrety shop,so saw it done.
    I did a tech for HAMB about it;
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tech-sew-at-home-upholsrety-hot-rod.604077/
    [​IMG]

wicarnut, Blues4U, Jessie J. and 2 others like this.
  30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am too lazy and sloppy to have a all white interior.

dana barlow likes this.