Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Your worst car insult by someone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Driving a Morris Mini, how many clowns are in there with you?

Ned Ludd, Okie Pete, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What does one do while driving?

3. "Cute little dune buggy". Car that statement was directed at was a Winged Sprint car. Followed by the question, "those big tires work in the sand?" I just answered "that's why they're grooved."

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:p:p:p:p

5. desotot

desotot

Sometimes I want to tell people to stand behind my car to see if the backup lights work.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those clowns moved back there after they didn't have my truck to nit pick anymore I'd have to guess.
    There used to be the same two grease covered individuals who were probably parts pullers in a local wrecking yard who would do that around my truck every year at a local event. I think that was their thing though.

I had a coworker now just a good friend who the first time he saw my 48 loudly said that it wasn't any good because I couldn't take it up the woods because it was so low. One of the gals we worked with told him that not everyone was a redneck who ran around in the woods. He was the same guy who said my 71 GMC 3/4 ton was too little to haul anything though. Parked next to his 1/2 ton 4x4. Told him anytime he needed his truck hauled home on a trailer call me as mine would handle towing his on a trailer.

Still over the years since I chopped my 48 I have lost track of the times someone has hollered "Nice Studebaker" I got to where I didn't argue and just smiled and waved went on.

My 51 Merc did get called a Hudson a few times too.

VANDENPLAS, Okie Pete, TFoch and 6 others like this.
  7. Johnny99

Johnny99

Is that a Volkswagen? Nope a PT Cruiser prototype, super rare! Might as well have some fun with it.

willysproto1.JPG

elgringo71, clem, Shalamo and 20 others like this.
  8. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Around 1962 I had a '41 Ford 2 door. I had a guy ask me if it was a Volvo. You needed to remember what Volvos looked like at the time to appreciate that one. :(

9. My response: you drive a kia for Chrissake. As taken from the band untamed youth

10. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do think it's important to remember... a lot of these "insults" (silly questions/comments) are non-car people trying to show some enthusiasm and support for something they aren't in the know about, but they do still think it's cool... it's tiresome but worth reciprocating sometimes. Might turn a spark of interest into a fire.

11. I just realize not everyone is knowledgeable about old cars and appreciate they are showing an interest in mine. Part of the fun is talking to people.

12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Driving my mostly original 29 Business Coupe , a guy pulled up next to me and said, " Do you know you only have one tail light ? "
    our pic`s 234.jpg

aussie57wag, 40two, The37Kid and 13 others like this.
  13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

At a Silver Dollar Car Show in Carson City ,Nv . a guy told me Victorias are not supposed to have a Decklid and he didn't like it , I told him when you build yours don't add a decklid .
    IMG_0207.JPG

treb11, The37Kid, BradinNC and 23 others like this.
  14. I hear that one alot with my O/T Camaro, but when my grandfather had a 61 Impala (baby blue, bench seat, 348/4 speed hardtop) , I remember sitting behind the car at a show and a guy come up and say that line, but he told his group he was with about the exact same one his dad had. But it was a 4 door, had bucket seats, a automatic and it was an Oldsmobile, as well as being a 4 door. So yeah it was the same car.

With hauling Taboo to shows, I am used to lots of snide comments about cutting up and ruining a tri five Chevy. Could write a book of them.

Okie Pete, williebill, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sort of like, "You wrecked a perfectly good car".

16. Moedog07

Moedog07

Twice within 3 months I hear "I didn't know they made a two door Checker cab" as they looked at my 1955 Chevrolet 150 two door sedan in awe.

17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Yep , $99.95 @ sears roebuck ! Trouble now is no one knows what sears roebuck is !

Butler 32, Okie Pete, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

80 yr old talking to his wife about my 37. That’s the ugliest model Ford ever made.
    I bought an engine from him a year later and became good friends.

clem, Tin Lizzie, Okie Pete and 7 others like this.
  19. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One Saturday a few years ago I was working on my linkage for my 303 that in my 35 Olds. A guy that has the shop next to me brought his body over to see the car. He looked at the motor and shook his head saying " why didnt you just put a small block Chevy in it". I told him " this isnt a fuckin Chevy thats why" he looked at me and walked out .

20. Over the years I've heard it all, from nice dune buggy, is it a kit car? rodent rod, I don't let it bother me, They are just trying to make conversation.

In the greater scheme of things there will always be the inquisitive bystanders that like to share their limited lingo of the current flavor of the day cars they have seen on television or in a magazine. HRP

LSGUN, Fingers, weps and 13 others like this.
  21. Yup, I had that happen at the beer store this past summer. She was barely old enough to sell beer so I just laughed and said nope, car is older than I am.

Okie Pete, Deuces, Boneyard51 and 4 others like this.
  22. SS327

SS327

I was in a 4th of July parade on year. All I heard all day was nice Dodge. Problem was I was in my 1970 b5 blue with white reflective stripe and white interior PLYMOUTH GTX! Decorated and sponsored by the towns Plymouth dealership with Plymouth down the sides.

clem, Okie Pete, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  23. Moved into a new house. My 40 coupe was parked in the drive. I heard the kids next door yell to their parents: "He's got a Volkswagen."

:(

Okie Pete, clem, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  24. I haven't had to use it (yet), but if I get asked if I had "bought that new?", I'm going to confuse them and tell them "No, - I bought it old!".
    At the lights a while back, a pedestrian walking across shouted "Studebakers are my favourite!", I just replied "Me too!".

25. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Cruise in , I attended, a car lot lizard selling a glass 32 5 window , saying it’s a Model A and my 32 3 w is a 34 because the doors open backwards . I’m thinkin there is a hell of a lot more on backwards besides my doors , PAL .

Fingers, Okie Pete, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, I'm impressed that she knew that some Citroens had an adjustable hydraulic suspension system that allows them to be dropped like that. Most non-car people would not even have come up with that guess.

Fingers, Okie Pete, clem and 3 others like this.
  27. v8flat44

v8flat44

I see nothing, I hear nothing, I say nothing .........

Okie Pete, Deuces, Boneyard51 and 2 others like this.
  28. cfmvw

cfmvw

Met a guy once with a Mercer. During the course of our conversation, he said he was impressed that I knew what it was. Most people ask him about his kit car.

29. A guy with a new corvette asked me if my coupe was a car or a truck.o_O

Shalamo, Okie Pete, SS327 and 6 others like this.
  30. jim snow

jim snow

Same here Danny. I just smile and try to give a pleasant response. Snowman ⛄️

Okie Pete, Just Gary, Lil32 and 5 others like this.