Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 3W in Japan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by panhead_pete, Nov 20, 2021.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So five months or so ago I bought a 3W coupe and had it shipped out. The whole process took 5 months for reasons that are just boring. Anyway it finally arrived and rather than have multiple posts when I need advice I thought I'd try and keep them all together.

It sat under a tarp for 20 years until rescued a few years back. Here is is the day it was found.

found 2.jpg
    And later on having been put back on the road.

91813273_2902870399735967_1589795136890470400_n.jpg

Now to be clear. The seller did his best to describe the car correctly and whilst taken back a little when it arrived Im all good with how it is. Having now had some time to look at it its a really solid car by the looks of it, just with some issues, no surprise being 88 years old and spending so much time under a tarp!

The initial issue was the state of the paint/body work, especially on the top. I did start a thread on that and to save you time I've smothered in Gibbs and will move forward on it at another time.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/saving-70s-paint-vs-rust.1247966/
    248170112_611553229993449_7830077828416529084_n.jpg

This afternoon I started checking it over and the car is generally super solid. Having got it started after standing for 6 months, today I thought Id give it a good clean which I did and then move on to checking the lights etc.

The headlight switch may be a little probleatic but I was stoked to have tailights, brake lights and licence plate light. But no headlights, no real surprise there, it will be one of the blue wires ;). I thought I'd have a look and see what was up. Who ever wired this must have been colour blind or got a deal on blue wire. Not sure how they even knew what wire was what and will reach out to the previous owner what the switches are for. If nothing else this part of the car should keep me busy over winter :)

258896236_906881660194535_36367429455491781_n.jpg 259228638_1262464677576133_9092905773183848010_n.jpg 259695482_577725590187975_8021864055964962307_n.jpg

Are these some sort of circuit breaker placed in a fuse block?
    unnamed.jpg

Thanks for now.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang, that car has some great lines, I see why you bought it. I'd be inclined to want to take the top and properly prime it and put some paint on it just to seal it even if I just took it down, took locally available spray can primer and maybe black paint and did the top to keep that surface rust from turning into rust out and rot. There is nothing about keeping it the way it was by leaving that rust.

My best friend had a 29 roadster that the guy who wired it did it all in red wire, What a pain to trouble shoot on the side of the road. Those braided blue wires make it worse yet troubleshooting wise.

Those breakers either say that someone just didn't like fuses or that it was blowing so many fuses that they replaced them with breakers. Not a big deal if it doesn't have issues that cause them to kick out all the time and they are the right amperage.

3. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way to go Pete .The long wait has passed. Avoid the urge to tear it down too far. Revel in the history. Now you need my Triumph .:D

Outback, Stogy and panhead_pete like this.
  4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car is cool as hell. The phrase "was a hot rod back in the day" usually means you are going to find some sketchy workmanship, so a totally blue wiring harness is just part of the package. As for the breakers, they are self resetting circuit breakers which trip when the amp load is exceeded, but reset when under the load rating. It is not what we use these days, but nothing to worry about.

You are lucky to own such a kick ass car, try not to let the little oddities bother you too much.

-Abone.

chryslerfan55, Jet96, Tim and 7 others like this.

5. From the photos, what I see, is that there is a lot of talent and time spent on the wiring. The rest of the '34 probably matches that craftsmanship.

Stogy likes this.
  6. alumslot

alumslot

If the headlights don't work you should click the dimmer switch a few times. May be that will clean the contacts in the switch. The power for the headlights go through it.

catdad49, Stogy, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  7. F-head

F-head

Mabee cleaning the contacts between the circuit breakers and the fuse panel will revive the headlights, they might be fused separately from the taillights. looks like a real high end build from the 80’s or so, thank god they didn’t put hidden hinges or a glue in windshield on it
    Gonna be a hell of a cool ride when you get it tuned up

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Looks like a great car. Seeing your blue wires, I look back many years to when I thought it would be cool to wire a car with all black wires. Man was I an idiot!

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

The wiring looks like someone did a good job. I would treat that just like the wiring in an old house. Use a test light and check what goes to what and write it down in an owner's manual that you make. You should be able to diagnose the lighting issue at the same time.

11. squirrel

squirrel

With all the corrosion issues on the top, I'd expect to find similar problems in the fuse block, etc. A test light, note pad and pencil, and a lot of patience, will probably be what you need to sort out the wiring issues for now.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  12. brady1929

brady1929

Congratulations.

panhead_pete likes this.
  13. that stance/lines. well worth the wait.

Stogy and panhead_pete like this.
  14. 2Blue2

2Blue2

I love the profile of that chop. I see the Chevy next to it and guess that it is possible to register in Japan?
    Got to be a rare dog in land of the rising sun.

Stogy and panhead_pete like this.
  15. That thing is ( . )( . )

Jet96, NashRodMan, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  16. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Hi Pete, nice score. I used to work in the lift (elevator) industry years ago and we used wires that were numbered every few inches for the entire length of the wire no matter how long, we also used small plastic c shaped clips with small lugs to prevent them coming off that simply slipped on to wires wherever you wanted to fit them, so you could test each wire on your coupe and number the wires.
    Hope that helps.
    Bob in bonnie Scotland

17. Pete,,,,,you lucky dog !
    I remember a few months ago when you had purchased it and was gonna have it shipped .
    Well,,,,it finally made it,,,,,considering how far it had to go,,,,,I guess that is reasonable .
    Yes,,,,it needs some work,,,,,but,,,,it’s an old steel car,,,,,,not bad in my book .
    Congratulations,,,,,I wish I had it !

Tommy

18. RodStRace

RodStRace

Please, please once you get the lights working get the car up on stands or a lift and "nut and bolt" it from front to back before driving it. Grab a set of sockets and wrenches and check every fastener. It should be a slow, eyes open process to get to know what other things you might find 'interesting'.
    Being stuffed under a tarp indicates it was rode hard and put away wet.

19. Lil32

Lil32

20. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

I can tell you exactly what he was thinking as he ran the wires... "fuck the next guy!"

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but... a lot of 70s-80s street rods didn't see much street, rather being built to win trophies while sitting still. Go through it with a fine-toothed comb! The car has a really fantastic visual presence... it's too bad about the paint, but I've said my piece on that.

Tell us about the drivetrain!

21. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

I chimed in awhile back on your paint chunks and rust and what I would do, so now I would do this if it were mine. As one just suggested get her on a lift first and document on paper everything you carefully find that needs direct attention in regard to safety, structure, and or modifications or past hacking if any. You know your replacing what needs to be done just from common sense alone. Hell I would replace all nuts, bolts, spacers, washers, shims, brackets, hangers you possibly could, and the more you do the more you find. This little shit wont break the bank either. Plenty of time for drive train and body work worries. I love posting this favorite image of mine, it's the solution for all of us.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and panhead_pete like this.
  22. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Probably a good chance the thick layer of bondo is confined to the roof only, often times a result of to little contour of the fabricated insert or poor heat control when welding results in a feeble attempt to slather it up. While extensive to correct certainly repairable, might consider a faux insert overlay until the best approach is decided. The worst case scenario that comes to mind & I hope not is some kind of fire damage, I only say that in speculation having noticed some use of undercoat, but then it may be a means of sound proofing.

notice some degree

chryslerfan55 and panhead_pete like this.
  23. rusty valley

rusty valley

I want to hear whats necessary to pass the inspection so she's road worthy

24. congrats on the 3window... I'm sure you will sort things out... looked way better with out Knock Offs... just my 2 cents worth... enjoy it !

iwanaflattie, Stogy and panhead_pete like this.
  25. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Be careful flipping that red switch with the flame decal under it!!

Jet96, 1940Willys, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

The round black button switch is a horn button.
    In addition to the test light that Goldmountain and Squirrel mentioned, pick up a basic electrical "toner";

https://www.amazon.com/Finder-Gener...ocphy=9031301&hvtargid=pla-906439828688&psc=1

The 'sender' sends a tone down the wire and you use the 'wand' to locate the audible ring at thee other end of the line. Us it all the time to locate wires doing telecomm work in buildings.

To prevent fire, confirm that you have (good condition) rubber grommets anywhere wires pass through a panel such as the firewall. I'd be inclined to place all new fresh fuses and breakers in the fuse panel and recrimp new terminal ends on anything that looks questionable.
    Be mindful that the fuse panel etc., lies directly under the cowl vent. Confirm the vent gasket is good and water tight as just a few drops of water can bring trouble.

Great find! It's a killer 34 Coupe with a great looking chop. FWIW, I'd deep six the cowl lights and swap in chopped headlight stands.
    Spend the Winter going through the mechanicals so you can pass your inspection. Then drive it with "as is" paint all Spring/Summer. Come next Fall you can decide if next Winter is the right time to get started on the body repairs that car damn well deserves.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  27. SS327

SS327

Back in its day I bet it was a good looking car. Please keep it that way.

panhead_pete likes this.
  28. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks one and all for input, assistance and interest! Its much appreciated. The previous owner Jay has also been really helpful!

I removed the headlight switch and had a really good look at it. With some effort got the headlights working but the switch has an issue with a barely discernable loose contact and the dash/tailights etc go off when the headlights go on so will replace the switch. The current switch has an inbuilt fuse in it, is there a need to replace that like for like or can I use one without the fuse.
    71Jh16+5bdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    Being the weekend and the car having genuine Halibrands I jumped on the HAMB and reseearched how to clean them up a little. The night before I was a little concerned as when applying liberal amounts of Gibbs on the body a little had ended up on one wheel but was put at ease when reading Gibbs was exactly what they needed and once again was stoked Jay had thrown in a couple cans with the car, amongst lots of other consumerables and some PB Blaster which I cant get here affordably. So after some gibbs and a little polish I now love the look of these but am on the fence re the spinoffs. I may take two off and check the look but much more to do 1st :)
    258373517_356055279652592_1903759621976848337_n.jpg

259652344_274749047892165_1364459014619847924_n.jpg

29. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER