Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Are your parts really for sale?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 8, 2021.

1. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

Yeah, Bowie, I'd like an insider's shot at a few items too, like a red Hurst 4spd knob (just so you can keep your ad bumps down. ;))

3. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

I have sold things for cheap money and the next day the buyer posted it on here for much much more money. And apparently it sold fairly quickly.

Nothing wrong with pricing a bit high. If someone is genuinely interested they can just make an offer.

bowie, lostmind and -Brent- like this.
  4. I've sent guys messages before telling them that they're too cheap on something.

5window and Adriatic Machine like this.
  5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don’t wanna mislead anybody….but I won’t be parting with my Hurst/ Covico/ American/Cal Custom collections any time soon…

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    chevy57dude, loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Surprise me!

Curses!

7. phat rat

phat rat

Bunch of whiny guys on this thread. If you don't like someone's price or number of bumps just move on. Nobodies twisting your arm to look at it. If it was a problem Ryan would have taken care of it.

Stock Racer, Hamtown Al, K13 and 6 others like this.
  8. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^^^Now that’s funny.......:D

10. You're 100% right. I'll just avoid the classifieds. 90% of it is the same shit that's been there since I joined anyway.

low down A, RMR&C and MCjim like this.
  11. 1ton

1ton

Score! For years, I have been searching for a pair of usable doors for my 31 A pickup. Two days ago, I went on Craigslist and started the search once again. I usually hunt within a six hour drive from me. That's within my comfort zone of driving for parts. So I started local, then went out towards Des Moines down thru St. Loius up towards Muncie, Green Bay and then Minneapolis. And there they are. In Brainerd Minnesota. Doors are not mint, but quite nice and the price was very reasonable. Seller says that he normally does not hold stuff for people, which I fully understand. While Minneapolis is a six hour drive, Brainerd adds two more hours. I Said that I will buy the parts and see him around 1 pm the next day. Yesterday, I left the house at 4 am. Got to his place just before 1pm. Hung out in his wonderful world of hot rods for about an hour and left for home. Got home around 10pm. It's 6pm the next day and I just got up from an awesome nap. Still a little foggy as I write this but a big thanks to Danno. It was a pleasure meeting you. And yes, they are for sale.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

o_O:eek::oops:

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  13. 1ton

1ton

I don't waste money on crap. I spend it on useful things like cars and parts. I tell the wife how someday she will be flush with cash after she's done selling all my stuff. Same as money in the bank.

14. 54chevkiwi

54chevkiwi

Absolutely theyre for sale! Every single one of them. Trouble is, everyone wants them but no one wants to pay. Theoretically the prices should be going up for parts you actually have in hand nowadays being the delays and rarity of getting them, like engine parts for example. You can go on a waiting list for a dart block, or you can pay me a fair price to actually have the one sittng in my kitchen ... youd think ... but no, the stuff is still “worth” nothing.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  15. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

Me Too!

16. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I've got a 3 speed lasalle trans I can't give away. People want it but want me to ship it for free.

17. Budget36

Budget36

Double the price an offer free shipping;)

safetythird and 54chevkiwi like this.
  18. 1ton

1ton

Gee that ole Lasalle trans great. Those were the days.

Thor1 and Adriatic Machine like this.
  19. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

Girls were girls and men were men

loudbang likes this.
  20. Free shipping means they get into their car and come and pick it up at your place.

bowie, Budget36 and Adriatic Machine like this.
  21. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gave away 302sbc complete rotating assembly, in a 67 ML 327 block... eng won B/SR at indy in 80s. Fresh cleaned block..fresh crank polush, brand new Arias pistons. Felt good to make room.

22. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gave 24 302 std bore pistons to racing buddy...11:1

23. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can I be
    Can I be your friend?:cool:

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  24. 5window

5window

At the rate hot roddders are passing on as we all get old, you'd better die soon so there are some of us still left for your wife to sell your stuff to. Honestly, old parts that can be used to build traditional style hot rods are not the best investment choice. Pretty much hot rods are built for love and should be built with money it is okay if you don;t get back.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have now seen probably 200 full builds worth of parts hauled away by scrappers paid to take them.

All the survivors wanted was grandpa's property cleared so they could sell it quickly.

This is why I have sold off or given away every single thing not tagged for the two projects sitting in my shop.

My phylosophy is that if I have a part locked up that I will never use, that keeps someone from completing their build, I am not only a giant jerk, I am also keeping another person from enjoying a cool ride, in what little time we may have left in this sunsetting hobby.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  26. When I price something for sale, I first think ...what would I pay for this if I needed it?

27. Gimpy, I couldn't have said it better. Thank you. Not to be a dick, but the way I see it, if you wanna hoard up all of the good stuff, or price it so high that nobody can afford it, keep in mind that one day, it'll bring about $1.25 a pound.

28. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moultrie 2021 ....parts prices low, car prices stupid high. It's starting. How many shops refuse to work on cast iron heads these days.
    And remember if they ever tax by cubic inch.... dont bore these easiest sparkplug to reach.... jyst sayin.

29. adam401

adam401

When im selling stuff I start where I see other stuff priced at. The early Ford stuff which is what I like, can be ridiculous honestly. If something doesnt sell I drop the price and just keep dropping it (unless I forget about the ad haha). Honestly most stuff I sell if you showed up at my garage with beer and a pizza would just end up in the back of your truck haha

30. 5window

5window

There's some good pizza in CT. Pepi's in New Haven is my favorite, though popularity has made them go upscale a bit.

gimpyshotrods and adam401 like this.