Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buyer Beware

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Nov 18, 2021.

1. fuzzface

fuzzface

Yes it is buyers beware out there when you buy somethings or should say almost anything. but it boils down to how long you want to look for something to save on it versus the time involved especially when it comes to a few dollars. There is always someone selling it cheaper or more expensive then the next guy or store especially during these times.

Even before this nightmare we are in, you had to shop around. Family business a few years ago priced out a new off topic semi from a local dealer and we decided to wait. My nephew saw an ad for a dealer next state over for the same brand we were looking at and decided for the heck of it and call. Their price was $60,000 less for the same truck. We thought that couldn't be right but nope it was. So we brought it from them thinking just in the tax savings we could send 2 employees there to get it. But on top of that the dealership delivered it for free to a shop for modifications to our spec's that was only 45 minutes from us.

Yes, it does pay to shop around first but don't wait too long or it might go up like our steel prices we get quotes on. Quotes used to be good for 30 days but now it is like gas prices, quotes are only good for 24 hours now.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  2. 5window

5window

Adding weight decreases fuel mileage and increases weigh on parts so you example is not quite right.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  3. fuzzface

fuzzface

"Not to mention the fact that a lot of the time, you might be dead-heading to pick up a load. It still you the same to move your hauler down the road whether it's loaded or empty."

We got lucky on this deal once. We had to get a piece of machinery delivered to the New Jersey port and we happened to find someone that was originally dead heading there to pick something up that was almost as big so he had the right size semi trailer. Charged us half of what our cheapest quote we came up with. Just got lucky everything lined up just right.

4. I have been blessed to have so many customers all over the country that I very rarely deadhead more than a tank of fuel to load the next car, but I understand your point!

Hey Jeff, believe it or not neither of my Duramax trucks are affected by weight when it comes to fuel mileage. Pretty much the same loaded or empty (within reason) Wind is really the only thing that changes my fuel mileage with the enclosed trailer & believe it or not...I get better mileage when I have a car on the open trailer than empty (especially if the vehicle is about the same height as the air dam, because the big air dam creates a negative drag behind it when it is empty! I track every mile & fuel mileage to the tenth on every trip.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

VANDENPLAS, ffr1222k, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  5. 1ton

1ton

Only thing worse than the old record clubs from back in the seventies where you pay $1 for the record plus s/h. And then they just won't stop sending you the shit. Is the shipping costs some Ebay sellers put on their items. My understanding is the Ebay charges a percentage of the shipping cost to the seller, why I don't know. But you really have to pay attention to shipping cost before buying on that auction site.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Very common in the tool world, IF the local machinery sales outlet is next door, you still pay the freight of what it took to get the tool/machine there. Its a cost passed on to the consumer. I have bought heavy tools from McMasterCarr, and have not had to pay freight because they have their own trucks driving coast to coast constantly

alanp561 and ekimneirbo like this.
  7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It isn't cash on the barrelhead yet, though is it? That's something to look forward to, when living in a failed state.

No credit, no "90 days net" or anything like that.

8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It was just 1c ! And then "shipping and handling". Great way to get those Steppenwolf 8-Tracks. Find a vacant house address and load up big. Born To Be Wild, Baby!

VANDENPLAS, ffr1222k and williebill like this.
  9. 5window

5window

Bill, thanks for the information !! Stay warm and safe and have a great holiday season.

alanp561 and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yessir, I understand the things that cost you having myself driven for a company that had over 2700 trucks on the road every night. You can believe that the company paid real close attention to fuel mileage and it made very little difference whether the trailer I pulled was maxed out on weight or empty. What really mattered to the company was that there were as many bills as possible on that trailer. The more bills, the more money that load of freight paid per trip. I don't know what kind of trailer (s) you have but if you can get more vehicles on the trailer, you make more money per loaded mile. As you also said, wind was a major factor in performance and a good many times, pulling a light load or empty trailer in the wind was also a hazard. Not trying to start anything with my comments but, it might be there are members here who have never seen what it takes to get something they order moved.

11. 1ton

1ton

I don't know much about the commercial trucking industry, but I do know one thing. Those orange barrels that they line up and down the highway in construction zones are called Schneider eggs ............And they grow up to be Schneider trucks!

alanp561 and Beanscoot like this.
  12. I also buy from ebay.. Sometimes I ship to work address if it coming UPS and my PO via USPS..
    When shipping to work address being in a different zip code the tax rate goes up !

I pitched a bitch about it one time and all they could tell me it going to a zip code and thats the tax you are going to pay..

Used to be able to goto NV and buy a new car with NO sales tax.. But now AZ will charge you that sales tax even tho bought in NV when you goto register it..

They got you coming and going now...

13. Truck64, VANDENPLAS, alanp561 and 4 others like this.
  14. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Jim is right - there is no free shipping.
    Someone has to pay for it.

If you think things are expensive now - wait until they all are free.

15. 54chevkiwi

54chevkiwi

Napa wanted to charge me $50 for a bearing they didnt have in store (suprise suprise), and wanted $12 “shipping” to get it from THEIR local warehouse to that store. I just left. Found the exact same brand, part number etc on ebay WITH race, $30 free shipping. No brainer.

alanp561 likes this.