Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Purchased 1940 Ford today!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 2bubbas, Nov 17, 2021.

1. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Money has no value, unless it's spent"
    You have spent your money very well!

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it were mine I'd be losing the billet dash and gauges and thinking about how many insert 40 dashes and steering wheels into so many Hotrods I'd follow that suit feeling this is the favored period option...

I guess regarding the Impala wheel, IF I was to keep it I might replace the Center badge with something either Ford or a non identifier insert that matches the period the Car is specific to...

Since 2bubbas hasn't barely had a chance to sit in it I'd certainly like to hear his opinions on moving forward...

I gather it's an automatic so a column shift or a floor mounted shift are both viable options...

I don't like to mix the periods...but the Steering wheel looks to be 58 or 59ish so I would be scouring the little pages or Hotrod mags to see what the fellas were doing as part of the decision process...at the end of the day it's pretty spot on minus a few easily fixed details that skew the situation...

Perhaps the 40 ford Threads here which are vast in historical imagery for reference are a good place for ideas as well...

3. Billet is not a favorite of mine- so if nothing else for now it might just get painted to soften the fact it's billet-
    Already looking for a Ford badge to change center of steering wheel- I like the wheel so that will likely stay-
    Those 7.50 tires in the rear do rub with suspension travel- may try smaller tires with whitewalls that more closely match fronts-
    It has a 350/350 combo with 9 inch Ford rear- Mustang II front changed to 5 x 5 1/2 bolt pattern to match the rear pattern-
    Running stock 16 inch '40 rims which I like-
    No plans to paint unless I just freshen up the satin black-
    For now it will likely sit until April- we already have snow on the ground- as it is totally done enough to drive and enjoy- that is the plan next Spring as I make a list and check it twice-
    Clean up some of the wiring- under hood clean enough for now-
    I had a '39 Deluxe that I built in late 70's and owned for 24 years- that was a frame off and do not plan to do that with this one- too much down time.
    Photos of Western trip taken by PO in 2019- AZ NM and CA-

Attached Files:

4. A Boner

A Boner

Easy way to get rid of billet...just polish it! The dash insert polished to a chrome like finish will look traditional and fantastic.

Ron Emerson, 2bubbas, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  5. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Congratulations. Enjoy

2bubbas, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  6. The fact that you drove it home with no problems already says a lot. It's nice to have something you can drive while you think about next steps with no pressure.

Looks like a couple of those pictures weren't taken in Indian River, MI.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    2bubbas, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Good for you, and home runs from here on. Please keep the gangster wide whites on for me.

A Boner, 2bubbas and Stogy like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seeing those pics of your old coupe its easy to see how you were drawn to this one...​

catdad49, A Boner, 2bubbas and 2 others like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Other than the too tall rear tires it looks pretty good to me. I prefer the tires to be the same radius as the fender, with just a little gap so the entire tire shows instead of being hid by the fender, but that's just my thoughts, yours may vary.....

2bubbas likes this.
  10. 2Blue2

2Blue2

That is so neat.
    Tis a fine trifecta your collection, congrats.

2bubbas and loudbang like this.
  11. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I like your idea, drive it for a while and make notes of the changes you'd like. Glad you like the steering wheel even if you change the center, that's how Hot Rods were built not off the shelves of a Rod parts warehouse! Enjoy!!!

12. catdad49

catdad49

Cool coupe, I see that you're breaking the seat in correctly!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    loudbang and 2bubbas like this.
  13. Hmmmm ... has a white beard and uses the term "making a list and checking it twice" huh. I can't put my finger on it but there is something very familiar about this o_O;)

loudbang, Roger Loupias and 2bubbas like this.
  14. Congratulations. HRP

2bubbas likes this.
  15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations!! Can't beat a 40 coupe!

16. Well done!
    (From one 40 owner to another)

2bubbas and chevyfordman like this.
  17. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Hey if this guy likes it. It has to be a keeper door panel-  1940 J Hall.jpg

18. A good driver that can go anywhere is worth a lot. I think most have more fun going down the road rather than broke down on the side of the road. I think you will really enjoy the car. :)

Roger Loupias and 2bubbas like this.
  19. Mustang II front suspension- disc brakes rotors converted to 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern to match the rear bolt pattern on the Ford 9 inch- It does have the 350/350 combo- It was a Street rod that is being converted more back to a Hot Rod-
    Running 16 inch 40 Ford rims with bias ply tires- I do like some of the Street Rod features- the tilt steering wheel- power buckets- power windows-
    The 350 has no billet items and the trans shifted from the column-
    I For now it will stay satin black but with a freshen up-
    Totally drivable as is but do plan minor changes- Front bumper for sure-
    It joined it's brother in the garage today- 100_4431.JPG 100_4432.JPG

catdad49, PONTNAK123, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  20. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Nice car enjoy it and make it yours with a few minor changes that make it the car you want , don't change anything about it to please others ideas

21. I never do! Any changes I make will be because it is my choice and not to please anyone else! Front bumper because I like them better that way! Smaller tires but still wide whites in on the rear as these rub! Maybe seat change because these do not tilt and almost impossible to access the rear area!

22. 4tford

4tford

Nice 40, enjoy it!

2bubbas, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree on the front bumper. I always wanted a custom front "nerf" on my avatar, but lately, I'm liking the plain '40 bumper in front.

2bubbas and loudbang like this.
  24. I'd put the 40 headlights back on it keep it shaved, put the front bumper back on, ditch the horse on the cowl and go.

25. A Boner

A Boner

You might try polishing/waxing the satin paint. Depending on the particular paint, with luck it will end up looking like a somewhat faded gloss black...perfect in my opinion!

Stogy, 2bubbas and loudbang like this.
  26. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Love that Impala wheel. It's a classic choice that's right at home in a '40.
    Those gauges though fight the Art Deco style of the clock and look out of place, like they arrived from Summit last week. But if satisfactory to you, that is all that really matters. Hell of a nice ride anyway.

2bubbas likes this.
  27. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

Congrats on the '40. I also bought a similar '40 Coupe recently. I also bought a well-sorted driver so I can drive and enjoy it while changing things to my personal taste. I'm getting too old for another big project.

Looks like a nice car!

Stogy likes this.
  28. Horse is gone- Won't wax as may repaint next Summer- but still flat-

Stogy likes this.
  29. Me too! Can hardly keep up on normal stuff on the cars I have!

Stogy likes this.
  30. Question- 600-16 on the front- huge 750-16 on the back- I jacked it as high as I could and still had a dickens of a time getting the big wheel out- had to release the fender brace for clearance- put a 650-16 on and it looks to small- Ford 9 inch rear end- any one running 700-16 as it has smaller section width but still tall?

Stogy likes this.