Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Add on defroster, 1952 Pontiac

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bruce A Lyke, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

[​IMG]
    Wondering if anyone has used a aftermarket Defroster/Heater to a early 50's GM car?
    My 1952 Pontiac Catalina gave up pretty much all of the OEM parts to allow for a 350 SB and Power disk brakes, both are nice to have, but need something to keep the windshield clear during heavy rain or cold.
    Please post any pictures of what you did or the unit you went with.
    thanks in advance!

2. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Plan would be to run 2 up to the original defrosted vents and the 3rd would be for heat or maybe cap it off.

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

What is the cfm and btu output ? Jegs and Summit have a 300 cfm/40,000 btu heaters .

4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Being from Seattle I don’t have a lot of “cold” experience like you do, but I’ve got plenty of “rain” experience. If you’re not using outside air with the defroster, and not using the air conditioning to dehumidify it, it never clears the window. The Classic Air unit in my bird will drive you out of the car with heat, but doesn’t clear the windshield for sxxx if I don’t turn the compressor on. And that’s true with my modern cars too. The more heat the more moisture comes off your clothes, the rug, etc, and when it hits the cold windshield it fogs. Outside air helps, but it’s still not like dry air.

So just a heater turns out to be “just a heater”. Not a defroster.

TrailerTrashToo and razoo lew like this.

5. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

^^^^This is correct. "Recirculating" heat will not do a good job of defogging. If you're planning a lot of cold, wet and rainy driving, I'd suggest trying to reconfigure the "deluxe" fresh air heat so it will work.

6. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

thanks for the comments guys
    the remaining fresh air vent on right side would be next to the fan inlet, so that should help
    typically avoid rain when possible, as well as really cold temperatures.
    looking for something better than a rag in one hand wiping the fog off :rolleyes:
    will check on the CFM

7. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

no info on CFM but guess it is 300 or perhaps less
    "BTU :: 12,000 BTU
    Motor Speed :: Off, Low, High"

really trying to get something that can hide under the dash as much as possible, likely taking up a lot of the glovebox space (since with 12,000 BTU's I will likely still need my gloves on if its too cold out, it should be just fine?:cool:)

8. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Here is the size and it might just barley fit under the dash, probably will need to leave the ash tray out also for room. there are some a bit smaller with 2 or more computer style fans
    Length :: 10"
    Width :: 9"
    Height :: 4.75"

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You probably won’t even need it but a Vintage AC or Old Air Products AC complete units come with separate hoses to your defroster vents. With the new fan in the unit instead of the one in the engine compartment they are unbelievable.

Bruce A Lyke likes this.
  10. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s more work, and probably more money, but this is the HAMB, right? Why not buy a vintage heater, rework it, and let it show? Just tuck it up enough to hide the hoses to the defrost vents. I did something similar in my roadster, works ok, looks the part. I just picked this one at random, but it looks like it’s got knock outs for the defrost that’s never been used.

New heater cores are out there, mount a fan (if you’re not 6 volts, or use a big reducer) and make it a feature instead of hiding it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194461284850?hash=item2d46cbb9f2:g:GzYAAOSwWhVhdIas

11. atch

atch

I have to agree with the comments that running the A/C along with the defroster, like newer cars, works much better. BUT for many years (50, 60, 70???) cars had defrosters that weren't using dehumidified A/C air. They may not have worked as well as A/C defroster air but they DID work.

Most of our hamb friendly vehicles didn't have factory air but a quite significant percentage of them had defrosters.

40FORDPU, gary macdonald and ottoman like this.
  12. 12 volt hair dryer

Bruce A Lyke likes this.
  13. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s the recirculating air that makes the difference. The heat just keeps adding moisture. My oem defrost worked ok on the 55 bird, but it was outside air, no “recirculating” setting. If he’s got outside air and can duct it to the fan intake, that would really help.

The 12 volt hairdryer is ok, but you’ll need a really big wire to the cigar lighter where you plug it in.

14. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

I live in Wisconsin so it gets cold... I didnt have a car with AC until I hit 40 so I drove a LOT of winters with just a defroster and it worked fine. Im sure on the rainy, just over 32 degree days it wasn't optimal like with the AC unit drying the air but we managed and heck... it was traditional!

gary macdonald and Bruce A Lyke like this.
  15. patterg2003

patterg2003

In Canada it was uncommon to see a car with A/C back in the day. Cars and trucks came standard with heat, defrost and an electric block heater. The highest heat range thermostat and some times cardboard in front of the rad kept the car warmer and helped with the windows. It makes one wonder why heat would be a delete option. Cars usually kept the windshield clear when it was cold but the the side windows would frost up and maybe the corners of the windshield. My Dad put frost shields on the side and rear window of our 56 Plymouth. Cracking the driver and passenger window a hair usually helped with clearing the side windows. A family of four could frost up the windows good especially as temperatures sneak towards -40. Cold air has a very low humidity and as it warms up the volume increases and the humdity is further reduced in the air. We built a new office complex and at 40 below the humidity in the building was around 15 - 17% that is about the same as a desert. The heater in the car should use outside air as recirculated air retains ever increasing moisture. It seems to me that it has been only in the last twenty years that vehicles have a recirc option on the heater.

http://westenddumplings.blogspot.com/2013/01/remembering-car-window-frost-shield.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    ottoman likes this.
  16. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Well, here is what will be going into the 52
    lots of air (see old fans), probably not a ton of heat but should keep the windshield clear

Attached Files:

17. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

finished and installed Htr AY .jpg

Attached Files:

jimmy six, loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  18. Where did you find this particular unit.

19. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Bruce

Thinking on it, might be interesting to see if a Packard or similar fan would fit up front on the right hand intake. Might even fit up under the wheel well at the back, behind the wheel.
    That would supply a significant volume of air, which could then be fed into the heater box.
    That would give you a fresh air intake for the defrost.
    With the intake from the radiator area into the fan, it would still operate to provide an amount of ventilation on the move without having to run the fan, too.

Just a thought.

Phil

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that one is pretty boring. I'd have gone with a vintage heater. here is a Chevrolet from the era, I'd bet Harrison made a Pontiac heater just like this one. there is also a plethora of vintage aftermarket heaters out there that are like little works of art under your dash

[​IMG]

21. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Basically, purchased on that was not going to work, and then modified as noted. Still not sure how well it will work but am optimistic it has as good chance to do the trick:cool:

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  22. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Nice job! Should work fine, especially if you get it fresh air plumbed.

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it will work great as a stand alone defroster as long as the coolant is up to temp. It also appears to use recirculating air only from the interior and no new fresh air from the outside. If your “right” air still works you can crack it to add new air and drop your driver window about 1/4” for flow thru. Did you cap off the 3rd one or is that going to your feet?

24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks guys
    I located the fan inlets by the Fresh Air, which is fully functional. Depending on how it works was thinking of adding a diverter to direct it to the fans. also looking to get or make something that can cap off the bottom outlet but still easily be removed. Overall, with how I plan to drive it, it should not be used much:rolleyes:

jimmy six likes this.