Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A DIFFERENT DRIVESHAFT QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GearheadsQCE, Nov 19, 2021.

1. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I have been building Quickchange rear ends for over 40 years. The larger units (Champ etc.) are based on 1938-52 Ford 3/4 ton components. I have never seen an original driveshaft for one of these trucks. I assume they are similar to the passenger cars of the '38-'48 era. That is; a solid shaft with a coupler (10 spline?) at the back and a u-joint at the front, all this housed in a torque tube with a ball and socket at the front.
    Can anyone confirm this? What is the diameter of the shaft? And, is there a spline at the front? If so, what is the diameter and spline count?

The sprint cars use a 10-16 spline or 10-32 with their QCs.

I need one longer than the sprint car parts that are currently in use. Thinking that shortening an original Ford part might be an option.

Thanx in advance,

Bruce

2. The trucks went to open drive in '42 I think.....I have a '49 3/4 ton (F2) that is open drive. It has the Timken rear. Not sure what the splines are on the yoke. 1310 U joints IIRC.

3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx!
    That explains why you don't see a bunch of them. 1938-41 were torque tube? That narrows it down a bit.
    Anyone else have more info?

4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor