Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do with your car today? * NEW*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j hansen, May 3, 2020.

1. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

I started to get the QC under the car and mocked up, so I can set the final body position on my roadster.

Attached Files:

2. Lil32

Lil32

coupe back home,all fixed,ready for some more cruizn
    ETba12_1894_p.jpg

3. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I finished the upper radiator hose and filled the cooling system up, no leaks ! Filled the brake system up and spent some time with that, tightening lines stopping leaks and getting the air out. That went well and it now has a good pedal but I still have to change a parking brake cable and dial in the rear adjustment. The big test will be if the system stops the truck. But so far studebaker build 004.JPG the system feels good. We are getting close to waking up the neighbors ! studebaker build 006.JPG studebaker build 007.JPG

Joe Blow, alanp561, charleyw and 8 others like this.
  4. Bjorn Wilsson

Bjorn Wilsson

005.jpg 009.jpg Finally I got the body tighten down to the frame. I testfitted the doors- fitted quite good. Then welded in some tubes to keep the body straight when i split the roof to replace the raingutters.

Joe Blow, Lil32, LAROKE and 5 others like this.
  5. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

studebaker build 002.JPG studebaker build 004.JPG studebaker build 005.JPG studebaker build 010.JPG I finished up mounting my battery in the homemade tool box. Right now all I have as far as a wiring harness is the starter and ignition circuit. They both work as they should , juice at the coil and the starter spins the motor !I had a Taylor cable trunk mount battery kit so I used that. It came with 2 AWG fine strand cable for the positive side and my local Oreilly auto parts had some 1/0 for the ground. The battery is a 65 series with 850 CCA. I still need to vent the battery but I have to come up with the rectangular connector that plugs on the battery. The battery is nice and secure and is not going anywhere unless you put this thing on it's top ! then you will have other worries. Should be just right for spinning around in the intersection. Next Saturday is the goal to fire this pile up

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    Joe Blow, alanp561, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  6. lake_harley

lake_harley

I promised myself to not start another project until my Model A was on the road, and it's now been driven, so here we go......

I've been cheating and tinkering on parts to build a front engine dragster from the ground up for the last few weeks but I guess as of today I'm started in earnest. Basic chassis jig is built and today I finished cutting down the rear end housing in my bandsaw. It was quite a challenge to get it clamped in straight and firm enough to cut but I believe it's going to be fine.

Maybe I'll start a build thread on it but then again I don't know if I want to put that much pressure put on myself.:eek:

Lynn

IMG_20211115_171715715_BURST000_COVER.jpg

7. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I had to change a parking brake cable so I went ahead and freshened up the wheel cylinders while I was at it. It looks like I have all my brake system leaks stopped and have a nice hard pedal. I still have to hook up the hand brake lever which is mounted between the seats. I usually have my wife help me bleed the brakes but today I had my old stand by throttle rod from the days of spin balancing wheels on the car. STUDEBAKER BUILD 003.JPG STUDEBAKER BUILD 004.JPG

reagen, hammer-time, Joe Blow and 5 others like this.
  8. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Gotta steal that idea! You need to put that on
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/home-made-tools-and-equipment
    so the guys can see how to make one.

alanp561 likes this.
  9. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Gotta steal that idea. Needs to be put on "Home Made Tools and Equipment" on the H.A.M.B.

10. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

6BDBBB85-308C-4414-A8D9-63F6BC771A24.jpeg E8D114BC-1FBD-4143-994E-261C76A33AE2.jpeg Working on all the engine details, fuel line fittings, oil pressure line to gauge, figured out what length fan belt, working on return springs for the throttle, tightened down the headers and finalized the generator mount, and all those little things that need attention before you fire it up!

40two, Stock Racer, reagen and 12 others like this.
  11. lake_harley

lake_harley

Now that ^^^^^boys and girls, is what a pretty SBC looks like!

12. Since the weather was decent, I took it for a drive for the first time in a few weeks, after putting a new alternator and battery in it. What a nice diversion from everyday life!

Blues4U and Lil32 like this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I like how this motor mount curves forward front he block to allow the use of a mechanical fuel pump. Very nice.
    [​IMG]

14. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I have the V8 quick change in mine mostly installed, one catch it has no vent from Winters. They say the best place is on the left bell. Well guess I get to pull it apart again! My error.

15. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Thanks

16. Pretty neat looking engine, nice detailing; but I was curious about what is behind the fuel pump?

17. Oilguy

Oilguy

Is that a 350? Don't believe I have seen a 327 casting quite like that.

Lil32 likes this.
  18. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Almost there, I still have to put the dist in time and fill the bowls with some fuel !
    Installed some nice Taylor cable studebaker build 001.JPG USA made solid core wires.
    studebaker build 005.JPG

Joe Blow, Lil32, impala4speed and 2 others like this.
  19. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I just put it on that thread. It is a indispensable tool.

20. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

6E5D55A8-CD91-4D06-B292-1834BBCDD004.jpeg C8CE3264-B0E2-4CE4-A9DF-753B57C19BB0.jpeg
    Good eye! I was going to use a 327 until I researched the cost to overhaul it. Quite expensive to say the least. My wife, who loves to find a bargain, came across a deal from Jegs, 290 horse 350 delivered for $1300. Even has a 3 year warranty. Being on a fixed income the cost prevailed. However being an old hot rodder I disguised it a bit. I almost cut that tab off behind the pump. My build is a fiberglass body so I figured anything goes. Found some valve covers on the local Craigslist, they came off an original 62 corvette. Turns out the are kinda rare. So I decided to use the crate heads but love the camel hump markings. So again I got creative. There’s more, Glass ‘32 5 Window build thread has most of the details!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  21. Been slacking; but I finally added the back to the shortened glove box liner and after trying it out in the car found it was too stiff to flex into place. Ended up making the third version of the support strap for the heater to get it in place.

On to better things; I gathered up all the parts for our '47's steering column and got them together with minimum paint gouging.

The signal switch acted up and while it tested OK before it didn't work once in place. Took it apart and sanded down the contact block, guess the pressed fiber stuff swelled up over the past 74 years since it left the Lincoln factory.

Going to have to get serious about knobs soon; was thinking about laminating maroon and white plastic, or maybe getting some repop Merc knobs and making shift and signal knobs to match.

PB180012 (Medium).jpeg PB180013 (Medium).jpeg PB180014 (Medium).jpeg PB180016 (Medium).jpeg

Joe Blow, Lil32, Hamtown Al and 5 others like this.
  22. Oilguy

Oilguy

Those 62-63 covers are rare; seldom see them at a swap meet, etc. The following years had arrows stamped on either end of the decal box.
    The thing that got my attention was the lack of crankcase ventilation. The 350 works best with a breather cap on one cover and a PCV valve in the other, connected to the carb base. You have a breather tube on the intake but I don't believe the 350 blocks have an open passage way to the crankcase underneath the intake. Fresh air flow through the crankcase will be minimal at best. But the detail work is great.

Lil32, Blues4U and Splitbudaba like this.
  23. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

488230FF-44F0-4855-8D02-63EBE6C1DDDD.jpeg 0351D299-8254-41B5-8891-2908C03C3C68.jpeg B2847416-0024-41AB-BEF0-824893113A87.jpeg
    There are two fairly large openings down to the crankcase area. Also between each lifter bore. One in front and another next to the distributor. Having said that this is an experiment at best! Too much pressure or oil vapor and the 62 valve covers might hang on the wall! I also have a PCV valve behind the carb connected to the carb with baffles under the intake and a windage tray in the lifter valley. I am surprised I didn’t get crap for the fake camel bumps !!!!

24. Only because I was too lazy to respond until you opened the door!

Splitbudaba likes this.
  25. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That looks awesome. That's definitely the way to do it if you're trying to run smooth valve covers. I'm going to be doing basically the same thing in my SBC here soon, except I'm using a baffled grommet and a push in breather. Makes the hole in the intake bigger (1.125"), but does the same thing you did. I love how you put the baffle in the bottom.

Splitbudaba and guthriesmith like this.
  26. Hauled 300 lbs of chicken feed in the trunk yesterday... Should have snapped a pic. Had that kool taildragger stance. Lol

The guys at the feed store never know what to expect as far as what I might back up to the loading dock with. They got pretty used to the T-bird. :D

27. Oilguy

Oilguy

The PCV valve looks like things may work for you.
    I didn't pay any attention to the mud on the heads until you mentioned it. Hey, you have phony camel humps.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  28. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

So do a lot of women!! My only worry will be moisture in the valve covers. Time will tell.

29. Put the drag coupe up on her jack stands. Time for winter work, get her ready for spring. Yea, I wish it was spring right now.;)

30. spanners

spanners

Hey Mad Mikey, how's the body healing after the trip through the shop wall? No lingering ailments?

mad mikey and Lil32 like this.