Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do 32-34 Ford Pickups "need" the cab bracing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HardcoreZ28, Nov 16, 2021.

1. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

I'm doing final assembly on my 34 pickup project. It's been chopped and channeled and I'm debating if I need to replace the inner cab bracing in the rear. I was thinking of just using the 2 horizontal pieces and cutting down the 2 vertical pieces around the rear window.

I build a full steel subfloor for the truck and it has a 1 piece floor pan so not much flex down low.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of not running the inner bracing at all? I tried a search but came up with nothing. Thanks in advance.

2. Henry installed it for a reason, the wood keeps the back of the cab from oil canning.

I used a all steel floor myself. HRP

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy, sko_ford and HardcoreZ28 like this.
  3. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

The oil canning is why I was thinking of running the horizontal pieces. With the top chop the window area has been significantly reduced but I like the idea of bracing up there too so my bodywork doesn't crack down the road

sko_ford likes this.
  4. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

Tried to order the wood today....minimum 90 day backorder of course. May just end up making my own since I was going to have to modify all the vertical pieces anyway. Nothing easy on this 9 year project

5. error404

error404
    from CA

could make them out of steel if you wanted to

6. Where did you try to order them from?

7. oldsman41

oldsman41

I have done some bracing in aluminum and also 18 ga sheet cut and bent

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have bought the wood for my last two 32 pickups from Brads Wood Shop and the fit was perfect but I suppose by now he's went south for the winter. On those pickups I painted the inside of the cab and just varnished the wood and left it exposed. No headliner.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  9. HardcoreZ28

HardcoreZ28

Thanks for the responses. I tried to order the wood from MACS. I'm going to just make my own since my cab is chopped and channeled anyway.