Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Stuck 292 y-block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rladams65, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I wouldn’t worry too much, after some measurements I would except you’ll find that you will need to rebuild it completely anyway. Mine was a running engine and it still required a complete rebuild. They are extremely tough engines, they will still run pretty well even when worn out

rladams65 likes this.
  2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Try squirting PB Blaster into the area where the ring gap is. Another idea, (if you are not in a hurry and which I've done before) is put the pistons in cans just a little larger diameter than they are, dome down of course, and pour Marvel Mystery Oil in to just above the pin and let them sit. It will soak in behind the rings and you can get them out without damaging the piston. A gallon of MMO is way cheaper than pistons and who cares about the rings, you should replace them anyway.

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

sometimes you can tap the ring out from the gap with a small flat screwdriver and small hammer (tapping on the ring end) . Heating and cooling may help. If your boring it out just bin them, spend time on something useful.

rladams65 likes this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Use the rings that are loose on other pistons and break them into short pieces and tap them with a small hammer starting a t the gap, driving the rings out of their grooves. Also broken rings make the best ring groove cleaner!

Bones

5. rladams65

rladams65

That is not what I was hoping to hear - but thanks

6. rladams65

rladams65

That is the same advice Wanderlust gave me - which makes me sigh. Thank you

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Totally depends on what you are going to do with this engine and your expectations. Folks here on the HAMB have a tendency toward perfection and there is nothing wrong with that. But guys that have made a living as a line mechanic can testify that there are other ways. Many times , on the line, a car would come in for an overhaul and the owner was short on cash. He would get a price for a bore job or just rings and bearings and choose the rings only route. I have seen many engines that needed bored but only got rings and ran just fine and did not smoke! How long the engine continued to run good……not sure, but I saw some with 30,000 miles still going fine. There is difference in building a crusing engine and a race engine. Hone the worst cylinders and inspect and measure, then make a decision.

Bones

Truck64 and rladams65 like this.
  8. finn

finn

If the pitting is towards the outer edge of the piston crowns, it’s likely caused by detonation of oil sucked past the rings.

Truck64 likes this.
  9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yep, back in the day lots of engines got the "Dingleball" overhaul. Without even removing the engine. DeGlaze the cylinders, new piston rings. New bearing inserts in the lower end, and a new timing set & chain. Bob's Yer Uncle.

With a Y-Block some attention would need to be paid to rocker shaft oiling.

Boneyard51 likes this.