Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Went to the wrecking yard today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 325w, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Went looking for 53-4 Chevy hardtop vent window frame. No frames but found these. Didn’t get them however. Yard has tons of good stuff.. F7A997B5-A19A-4E47-A321-DDC513ACBF85.jpeg

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Surprised that they are still on the car and survived for so long.

5window and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_1946_Hudson_Commodore_Eight_coupe_at_2015_AACA_Eastern_Regional_Fall_Meet_3of7.jpg

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wik...2015_AACA_Eastern_Regional_Fall_Meet_3of7.jpg

:rolleyes:...1946 Hudson...Funny those tailights look like an afterthought or off another car altogether but I shall do some research...

Of note is the lights look more out of place there possibly because the fenders are removed...

Other than being rare for Hudsons are they a desired Hotrod/Custom item...not sure...and yes anywhere there's still vintage tin there's still things to be had...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    kidcampbell71, TFoch, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Postwar Commodore?

Stogy likes this.

5. 1ton

1ton

Wrecking yard and/or junkyard are no longer correct. Might hurt someone's feelings. They now refer to them as auto recycling centers.

rbrewer, TFoch, Rocky72 and 1 other person like this.
  6. 5window

5window

Are they actually for sale?

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He said he was at a yard looking for window frames so I suspect parts were for sale IF you wanted them...and I'm just assuming he was referencing the tailights but maybe it was the bumperettes...dunno...

GordonC likes this.
  8. 5window

5window

I got that, but it's odd that they would still be there on an obviously been there a while vehicle. No yards like that around here, whatever you want to call them. :(

Bill's Auto Works and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking they're not desirable that's why they're there...if they were Lincoln Zephyr or 37 Chrysler tailights that would be different...yes the yards with dry metal are a dying breed...bigtime...

5window and Just Gary like this.
  10. 58oldsmobile88

58oldsmobile88

Would have to look but I’ve got a 53 Hardtop that may have frames.

Stogy, 325w and 5window like this.
  11. If you Google Browns auto salvage in Sunset Texas they can answer that. Found they are ver fair on prices and have tons of OLDER cars. Almost got myself lost walking around.

Stogy and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  12. Decades ago when body parts were part of my business, I would be in the Southern states (Tennessee, Georgia & South Carolina) every other week & would spend days in junk yards loading up on rust free doors, bumpers,etc. While most of the stuff I brought back were for more current cars at the time (70's, 80's & 90's) , I absolutely loved wandering in the yards that had the old stuff & found some amazing pieces that somehow got overlooked for years!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

13. You know, if we find good stuff in a junk yard and don't buy from them the owner will think the old stuff is no longer in demand and might crush it. These few remaining yards need to be patronized.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  14. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

junk yards are about gone around here . with the exception of my neighbors front yard . and if they have more junk than me .its gotta be bad !! oh well . makes my yard look good !!

15. goldmountain

goldmountain

I really miss wandering through wrecking yards. That was my favorite playground when I was a kid.

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

I wanted to bring my son into a local one to pick a part for my OT 4x4. They wouldn't let him in, too young. It bummed me out because it was definitely a "times-have-changed" moment.

17. Did buy this D3EFD243-FDF7-4039-995C-C645368C01AC.jpeg