Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bello's Kustoms '39 Zephyr stunning candy paint job

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jakespeed63, Nov 17, 2021.

1. alanp561, Voh, reagen and 5 others like this.
  2. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Caught it on ut, it was awesome!

loudbang and jakespeed63 like this.
  3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way too kool, thanks for sharing the link

loudbang likes this.
  4. Fogger

Fogger

Outstanding, what could represent customs better that a Lincoln Zephyr!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.

5. Love their work.
    (I was amused at the start watching the hood being blocked and creating dust while old mate in the background was polishing/detailing a motorcycle :eek:)

6. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

The True definition of Sex on wheel's!
    Unbelievable talent He has..
    I'm not a "subscriber" on YT, But I am for his Chanel.

8. loudbang

loudbang

This cars paint looks awesome came out great. :rolleyes:

Sorry if I seem like I am stepping on some toes BUT back in the day when we painted a car the goal, using single stage, was when you were finished painting the result was that it was looking great BEFORE and without any cutting or buffing. Any cutting and buffing just added to the shine that was already there.

Admittedly it was years ago but now it seems like the color coats are just that adding color and are layed down ending up with no or very little shine and relying on clear coat and cutting and buffing for the shine.

Is that the case now? Any reasons for it? :)

9. Basecoat colour does not dry shiny. ;)

10. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

11. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

That car is coming straight outta the booth..
    Going back to his shop to cut/rub...
    Even "back in the day" it was always about"hand rubbed lacquer" an how Many coats...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. loudbang

loudbang

Yea and when you started hand rubbing it was already smooth and shiny. :rolleyes:

13. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

That zephyr looked pretty shinny to me straight outta the booth...
    I believe your point is, Base or color is just that dull/flat, Because the component that make's it shine, Is the clear, clear lacquer Never shinned as bright as what you just saw come out of the borrowed booth which is urethane..

14. loudbang

loudbang

Not true that brown layer was nowhere near smooth and or shiny. It is AFTER the application of clear. A good lacquer job is already shiny BEFORE and cutting rubbing or clear applied and that is the difference.

chryslerfan55 and brady1929 like this.
  15. Torchie

Torchie

For what it's worth.......
    I cut my teeth working in a Cadillac body shop where 90 percent of what we shot was still lacquer. Early 70's.
    We shot the lacquer, and single stage enamel just as you posted. Like a mirror.
    Having said that.....
    Techniques and materials have changed a lot since then.
    I watch Bellos you tube posts. He does beautiful work and I have no doubt that up close, His paint jobs are great too.
    Torchie

16. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

36 yrs. In the biz... You win )

17. As X38 stated basecoat isn't formulated to be shiny. It is suppose to look flat.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  18. loudbang

loudbang

And that is what I was trying to clear up. If it is supposed to be flat that answers the question.

Now the next question is why is it formulated to be flat, any articulable reasons? WHAT is the advantage of it being flat as opposed to being shiny?

chryslerfan55 and brady1929 like this.
  19. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

20. oldsman41

oldsman41

It a shame that beautiful car will probably be dragged around in a trailer.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Actually.... He's a driver.

22. Different Zephyr, but the owners he does car for seem to like to use them.:)

jakespeed63 likes this.
  23. It only needs to be a simple product to carry the pigment because the whole idea is that the clear coat does the gloss work.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  24. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I guess a "air-board" sander would be out of the question around these guys.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Not used in Primer sanding going to paint

Guy Patterson and jakespeed63 like this.
  26. Hey Fellas, the point of posting this video was not to necessarily critique anyone's painting style, but more for the end result and entertainment value. This dude is quite the character. But, I'm glad to hear all the years of experience speaking. Even though I'm technically a professionally trained mechanic, I've worked in and around many private shops and dealers. 2 shops in particular, one a Dodge/Jeep store and another a high-end collision shop, both had fantastic paint jobs. These were mainly insurance jobs and high volume. When the cars came out of the booth, they removed the tape/paper, cleaned it and gave it to the customer. BAM!
    At Center Tyler Auto body, in Mentor Ohio, Phil the owner was super OCD. they cleaned BOTH downdraft spray booths every Saturday. 1 for primer and parts the other strictly for finish work and NOTHING else. NO sanding ever took place in that booth. And NO silicone products like Armor All either! Was always super impressed with the jobs Jimmy would do. Sometimes a few fish eye or dirt specs, otherwise ready to go and on to the next job. they were also a Spies Hecker dealer.
    Thanks again. Will continue to post cool shit when I see it.
    JT
    P.S. I also subscribe to Coldwar Motors YouTube channel, from up in Alberta Canada. Now this guy(and a few of his crew) can turn out some amazing work, from his backyard workshop. Amazing Boogie Van paintjob starts at coincidentally 4:20
    Boogie Van Paint! Also: Is it the new Bluesmobile? And a Classic Darts Special: Will it Light? - YouTube