Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best daily driver carb for my stock ‘51 Ford F1 226 flathead six?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigSherm, Nov 17, 2021.

1. BigSherm

BigSherm

Hi fellas,

I searched and found nothing, but maybe I missed the answer to this.
    I just brought my beautiful ‘51 pickup home, and love it!
    My stock carb is leaking and, I think it needs a rebuild.
    With a stock intake, exhaust, and Pertronix ignition, would you guys choose a stock rebuilt carb or something else for daily driving?
    I like keeping it stock, but I plan to drive it a lot, so function comes first and if something modern would be best, I’d be open to that.
    I’m planning to switch to a modern paper air filter, anyway, either adapted into the oil bath housing, or replacing that entire housing.
    I realize my stock distributor needs vacuum from the stock carb, so there is that consideration. I’m not currently planning to adapt a distributor with mechanical advance.

Thanks!
    Scott

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  2. oldsman41

oldsman41

I’m believing the Holley 1 barrel should do the job I think 1904 was the number, I’m old can’t remember for sure.

gary macdonald and BigSherm like this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

BigSherm likes this.
  4. Scott, you just drove the truck across a big chunk of the USA. How bad can the carb be?
    I'd find a source for a rebuild kit and go at it. These carbs are really simple.

BigSherm and gary macdonald like this.

5. BigSherm

BigSherm

Hey Phil,
    The truck runs great, but it’s weeping fuel at a few places, which of course, drips on to the intake and hot exhaust manifolds.
    That makes me a little nervous!

Thanks,
    Scott

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  6. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Those oil bath air cleaners worked really well.... For a daily driver I think I would use it...The stock carb worked good from the factory so just freshen it up.....

pprather likes this.