Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Regrets not buying a car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrquickwhip, Nov 12, 2021.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

But on a brighter note, I did buy an ex drag race 59 corvette for a grand. :D

2. SDS

SDS

When I lived in Los Angeles, around 1999, I saw an ad for a '67 Chevy II Nova SS. It was black on black with factory rally wheels, a Muncie 4 speed and a 327. It was an absolutely beautiful car - I pontificated about it too much and didn't go look at it until the next day - when I got there there was someone else looking at it and they bought it before I had much of a chance to check it out in person. $7500... To this day, still regret not going to look at it the first day I saw the ad

3. gatz

gatz

< dumb .....passed on this all-original 57 Century. (... still don't know why. Loved those 3-pc rear windows)
    Guy was asking $4800 for it. Ran great.

Saw it advertised for something like $12,000 a few months later.

57 Buick 2 dr HT.jpg

'course, this was about 25-30 years ago

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've had a few (OK, maybe more then a few) that I did buy that I should have passed on. Does that count?

During the years I was buying a lot of cars and trucks, my biggest problem was trying to figure out where I was going to put them after the purchase. For the record, my wife never tried to keep me from buying a vehicle, nor did she ever insisted that I get rid of any one of them.

RJP likes this.
  5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Two come to mind----A former drag Anglia. Set up for a SBC, already had a narrowed 9" with ladder bars. Inside it had a partial aluminum interior with two bucket seats of some sort and a 4 or 5 point roll bar. Couldn't come up with the $1000 the guy wanted.

Other was a 35 Ford Tudor sedan. Guy had partially disassembled it for restoration,then got divorced and left it with his ex. At first, she was going to keep it for their son, then he decided it was too big a job for him. She called me a few days after I had spent the money I had for a project. Had to turn her down.
    I had bought a Vega to put my 327 in......

mrquickwhip likes this.
  6. SDS

SDS

Rejoice in your good fortune, you got a good one (wife). It is rare and uncommon for them to not complain about husbands buying vehicles and not insist that you get rid of some

7. One of my biggest regrets not buying something was a buddies real nice 11-second 69 Superbee 440 6-pack car that was also a factory bench seat column shift. It was way cool, had the factory fiberglass hood and was for sale for $10k in about 91. It might as well have been a million bucks though at the time considering my budget.

Another one I should have probably bought was a 55 Chevy two door hardtop that another good friend had had since he was about 14. His dad had bought it in 1960 and passed it on to him. My buddy had put a blown 454 and 4-speed in it and had me paint it in the early 90’s. It was a great car and he stored it in my shop. One day a mutual friend came into my shop saying he wanted to look at the 55 because my buddy had priced it to him. I immediately called my buddy that owned the 55 after the other guy left asking what he was thinking. He told me if I would give him $10k, he would sell it to me. I almost did it but mainly just because I didn’t want him to sell it. Anyway, I passed after talking it through with my wife because I already had a couple old cars at the time and would have been buying it for the wrong reason anyway... This was the $10k 55 and what it looked like at that price.

4F37B725-40C0-49B5-B82E-3DBA774B4897.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    Thor1, safetythird, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  8. Took a long drive to see a chopped 34 olds three window project. Had headlights frenched into the fenders and hockey sticks for all the supports in the body, that kind of caught me off guard. By the time I changed my mind the next day it was sold. I may never own a three window coupe.

mrquickwhip likes this.
  9. Back in 65 I ran acrost a fellow selling his Jag XK for $1200, I thought about it but decided naaah, it's just an ole British car. Who knew? :rolleyes:

10. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

Back in the late 70s passed on a 66 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed. Needed a starter and a drivers front fender. Madiera Maroon just like my 65 Impala 396 Sport coupe. $75.00. Wife at the time pitched a fit because of another project car. Let a 68 396 Camaro SS go to the wrecking yard cause it had a spun rod bearing and she thought $100.00 was too much. Should have bought both. She ain't with me me anymore. I wonder why.

mrquickwhip, lothiandon1940 and 56don like this.
  11. gene-koning

gene-koning

I broke her in early. She knew I was a car guy, I repaired her car before we ever started dating. I was already working a full time job, and doing extra work on the side. The work I did on her car was extra work that I didn't charge her for. She was a full time student that worked as well, and needed her car to get to school and work.

We got married in May. In June me and 2 buddies had my first dirt track car in our driveway. She did some complaining during the first summer (justified most likely, it was a learning curve for both of us). We ran the car on a tight budget, after the first few weeks, the car pretty well paid its own way. I would do extra work on someone's car to fund the dirt track car. After the 1st racing season, the other 2 guys gave me the car to do whatever I wanted with it.

When that first big winter heating bill came around (at a house we just had bought in November), we had no idea how we were going to pay for it. I sold a few parts off the dirt track car, and paid the entire heating bill. There was no doubt in anyone's mind where the money to pay that bill (and the next one) came from.

Any money put into the dirt track car came from extra money I earned outside of what the real job paid for. Household funds were never used for hobby support, but several times the hobby money paid for household stuff.
    The next summer I ran the car another year, again on a tight budget with the car pretty much funding itself. At the end of that season, the dirt track car paid for some new furniture my wife liked. (it was a surprise to her).

The hobbies we both enjoyed together were never supported by household money, and those hobbies often generated pretty good extra income. Buying, selling, parting out, junking, and working on cars and trucks were always the way the hobbies were funded. After that 1st winter heating bill, she never questioned me buying any car or truck.

Most guys have trouble with their gals because they never consider her concerns, and try to hide the stuff they themselves do. Gene

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1982 I had a chance to buy a pristine 1971 Jaguar XKE V12 coupe, British Racing Green, for $8200. I just couldn't swing that much cash at the time. A co-workers husband bought it and still has it.

buick bill and mrquickwhip like this.
  13. when i was looking for a first car, i found a 1963 corvair coupe, 3 speed, 84 horse, 800 bucks, needed brakes but ran. my father told me that i need something reliable for a first car that can be driven in winter (ended up getting an 06 crown vic). i still want to get an em corvair one day. just its not gonna be for a little while.

14. goldmountain

goldmountain

There was this '34 three window for $300. Didn't buy it because it was channelled.

clem, mrquickwhip and guthriesmith like this.
  15. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the 70's I had a chance to buy a 34 Ford Coupe and a 34 two door sedan that had been hit in the rear for $500. The coupe had been "modified", i.e. they had cut out the firewall to make a gasser? don't remember the details, car was solid, both cars were solid:(
    At about the same time I could have bought a 65 Vette with a 425 horse 396, yep, I could have:( Money wasn't the object...I guess it was just another example of me not using good sense. Traded a 57 Chevy hardtop/327 with a stick, had a dent in the quarter and needed brakes but I thought I needed a basket case 38 Chevy worse. Bruce Wolfe in Des Moines IA did good on that trade, I always wondered if he was still around. I still have the 38.

guthriesmith likes this.
  16. brando1956

brando1956

There have been way too many. They say you always remember your first and this is one I'll never forget. I'm 17 y/o in 1973. Had my license but no car. Parental units were dead set against me having my own ride. To be fair I had pretty much free access to the family cars and they were sure that having a car would put me on the road to perdition. Little did they know I was already on that road just getting up to speed.
    Harry was a good friend of the family. He traded in his 65 Impala to the local dealer. Resale price was $1100. Some background: Harry was about 75 y/o and the car had very few gentle miles on it. It was a 2 door, white on white, with bucket seats. Why was I interested? It had a 396 under the hood. With a Q-jet. With a 4 SPEED behind it! Harry bought it when he turned 65 and thought he needed something to spice up his life. He called it "the hot rod." However, Harry didn't drive it like a hot rod. That 396 had so much torque he only used two gears. Second to start, shift straight to fourth.
    I was actually a responsible kid at that time. Worked a nearly full time job at a grocery store, 30 hours a week when school was in session and 50+ when school was out. My dad and I were in the process of building a house so when I wasn't in school or at work I was on the job with him. With help from friends and family we had that house ready to move into in six months. I got good grades in school even with that schedule and felt it was time to have the big discussion with dad about buying a car. Keep in mind he knew the car well. When I brought it up, his words were, "Hell no, you'll kill yourself in that thing."
    He was probably right but I still have regrets.
    I did end up with something that belonged to Harry. When he passed away his wife gave his dress overcoat to my dad and it was passed on to me. Fits perfect. It's not just any coat. It's black 100% cashmere and it's still not out of style, even though it was purchased in 1948. That's not why it's a big deal to me. Harry bought that coat to wear to the presidential inauguration of Harry Truman. He wore it to a meeting with a much more famous Harry in a white house at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. You see Harry served as a Sergeant in Battery D, the artillery battery commanded by Truman in WWI and they remained friends through their lives. I still wear it proudly on the rare occasion I have to dress for an event for which jeans and a T-shirt are frowned upon. It still looks like a million bucks. If someone comments on it, I've got a good story to tell. Not at all ashamed of wearing a hand-me-down with that kind of history.
    Back to cars. There was a nice Roadrunner 383 4-speed for $1500, 64 Covette roadster, big-block 4-speed for $2500, 71 Corvette 454 4 speed for $4500...I could go on and on but I think I'll just go mix myself a drink.

five-oh, das858, mrquickwhip and 4 others like this.
  17. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

57 chevy, clean body and interior 150 dollars, did not want an automatic/6 cyl.

18. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

A few years back, this lil one came up for sale. Agreed on the price and was planning the trip to Upstate New York to get it. Sons Drag Car ate some expensive parts and he was short on cash soooo. I doubt I will ever find one like it at the price we had agreed on. 31-1.jpg 31-2.jpg 31-3.jpg

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

1940 Ford deluxe Coupe, original black paint with primer showing through, beat up mohair interior, bubbled quarter glass, complete and stock, but it had an old 283 in it. Guy was asking $500.
    This was 1974, 2 years before I turned 16 and I'd been saving my money and casually looking for an old car for my first car. It sat in a driveway on a cul-de-sac and I rode past it every single day on my paper route. When it rained, it glossed up and you could see how straight it was.
    Stopped by one day with my best friend, knocked and asked if it was for sale. Guy said "not really but if you're really interested I guess $500 would buy it". He stepped out opened the hood and said it someone put a 283 in it and hadn't ran in a while but would start with a fresh battery. It was super straight never been hit and zero rust!!! I envisioned it done in black w red/orange/yellow flames like to one I saw in 1001 Custom & Rod Ideas...
    Talked to my Dad and we decided I was better off finding something that was already drivable rather than a restoration project. Settled later on a 55 Chevy 2 door post...
    That car haunts me. Still wonder what became of it.

20. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also a '40 Ford coupe,also in 1974. There was a '40 in a local junkyard. Straight, complete, no rust. I tried to talk them into selling it for two years. I'm sure they got tired of seeing me.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

My wife's uncle yesterday offered me a truck a few years ot for here so I can't post pics. GMC version of the c10, camper edition. It's absolutely perfect, fresh motor and Trans. Just needs small tlc stuff, heater sliders don't work, radio, etc. All original and not a spot of rust absolutely anywhere, I've never seen a cleaner old vehicle. He wants 8k from me. But I just can't right now, so I already regret it.

I did pass on a barn find 65 mustang after I sold my c10 bitd. It was also immaculate, it had been sitting forever and at the time I had a new baby, and a Chris Craft upside down in my garage half done, so I passed. But I do wish I'd have popped on that one too.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  22. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

How about 90% of the ones in the classifieds here now I can't afford? Does that count?

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  23. Papas32

Papas32
    from No.Ia.

i was sixteen and had to go to a neighboring town for a school project. Had a railroad overpass coming into town and I looked down there was a 30/31 Model a pickup sitting in front of the lot in the salvage yard. After finishing at the school I went straight to the yard. Met with the owner of the yard and agreed on a price. He asked me was I going to restore it and I said no I had a 283 and a 4 speed for it. His face turned red and he slammed his receipt book shut and said not in my truck your not!. That was over 50 years ago and I still think about that when I enter that town.

24. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

210superair likes this.
  25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Timing is critical, I'd just bought my FE powered 64 Fairlane when a similar 'Plain Jane' Wimbledon white FE powered Comet became available on the HAMB. The Comet was eventually sold however if I could sell the Fairlane I'd see if the new owner would consider parting with the Comet;)

26. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Regrets,
    I have a few,
    but then again,
    too few to mention....:rolleyes:

All baloney aside....
    It's much better to regret "not buying" a car than it is to regret "buying" a car/stinker.
    This is much like the "one that got away" ....The girl you did not ask.....The job you did not take...
    The thing is, what about the one/ones you did get and enjoyed.;)

das858 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Of all of the hot rods we were introduced to and were for sale, there was one that happened to us, when my brother was in his burn recovery times. Our mentor from Los Angeles knew the agony of the burns and recovery for my brother. So, he also knew that we had the Impala for my brother’s doctors’ appointments.

He wanted to know if we would be interested in buying a different kind of hot rod, one that had a good look, but was geared for the high speed runs at Bonneville, not the Lion’s Dragstrip. As a close friend, he knew that we needed something to ease the recovery and memory.
    upload_2021-11-16_4-9-5.png similar in looks

The standing start was good and powerful, the shifts were easy and everything was just outstanding. It was a fine build and our friend wanted to sell it to us because it was something different. Time to get the mind away from a tragic incident and do something else to stay involved in auto mechanics. This Ford Sedan was one good way to do just that. The original builder/owner was now moving on to another Bonneville car, but something away from sedans.

Our friend knew we needed a new direction and thought this two door, 1956 Ford Sedan would be a starting point. We could see ourselves driving this cool looking sedan on the salt. In a drive around that part of L.A. it had the power and the mellow sound of a race car, but was comfortable on the street.

Since it was street legal, cruising up the driveway at the two teenage gathering spots, drive-in restaurant, parking lots in Bixby Knolls would have been just classic. We almost bought it to add to our current hot rods. But, we were a "sell one, buy one" type of family and couldn’t part with the 1958 Impala or 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. Although, our mom would have kept the 58 Impala for her own car. My brother was done with that portion of his life.

Our parents knew the friend from Los Angeles and if the car was for sale, nothing would be wrong. They had the utmost confidence in their friend’s knowledge and understanding. So, she was encouraging us to consider it.

Jnaki

upload_2021-11-16_4-14-17.png
    1956 Ford Sedan fresh off of the salt flats 1961. Friday Art…

How would it have been if we did purchase the 56 Ford? If the 58 Impala stayed in the family, my 40 Ford Sedan Delivery was a keeper. So, my brother would have driven the 56 Ford sedan. But, as he was continuing his burn recovery, he was getting back into surfing and discovered desert motorcycle racing. So, he knew the 56 Ford was not going to tow a trailer.

He liked my description of the 56 Ford, the test drive results, and overall look. But, after a few days to consider, he declined.

28. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

Local junkyard when I was growing up (mid-70's) had a '40 Willys sedan gasser. Really just a shell and chassis, fiberglass front end and rear fenders. My dad talked me out of it because I really wanted a coupe. The price when I looked at it was $75. A friend and his dad had seen it a little earlier and the price was $150. We never knew we had both looked at it until years later and both kick ourselves over it.

29. Mo rust

Mo rust

Back in the 80's I had the chance to buy a 34 ford 5 window that a local guy had built for the strip. It had an injected 392 hemi with 14 to one compression and a four speed riding on a set of magnesium halibrands. He was asking $3,500 and my $4 an hour job made it just as well be a million.

mrquickwhip likes this.
  30. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

When I was in high school in the 80s a friend of my parents brother was selling a 56 Chevy sedan delivery. It needed work and I didn’t have a pot to piss in. Sure wish I could have acquired that one.