Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fargo vin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jholli, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Jholli

Jholli

Does anyone know why my 1949 fargo has an x at the end of the vin numbers

2. They were out of w’s?

3. I am not sure about '49 in the '70s Harley was stamping a non-numeric symbol at the end of the vin/serial number so that you could not stamp an extra number on a stolen bike. Maybe Fargo was thinking the same thing?

4. SR100

SR100

VINs (a federally mandated type of serial number that encodes specific information) didn't exist until 1954. Your Fargo had a manufacturer-specified serial number. My best guess is that X meant it was originally intended for export. If you haven't already, try the decoder here.

gary macdonald likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would probably have to find a Fargo owners group to get the info on the X but Sr100's thought that it might mean Export could be logical. The serial number is pretty cut and dried, in that they show the starting number for each year and model and the ending serial number.

gary macdonald likes this.
  6. Jholli

Jholli

Vin number is 91503816X

7. gene-koning

gene-koning

So, did you got the the link SR100 posted and find out what they said it was?

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

9. Now that makes sense. Like the Hudson or GM models with the export package.

I am not sure that Fargos got exported to the US I wonder where they may have been exported to (typically). I know it is an entirely different topic, but you made me curious.

10. gene-koning

gene-koning

Fargo was the Canadian version of a Dodge truck. For some reason, Chrysler decided to send the Fargo trucks to most export countries rather then send the Dodge trucks. They were shipped to a lot of places, like South Africa, France, down under to the Asti's, and several other countries. I suspect it was probably about the truck building plants' ability to meet demands. The Dodge truck division was pretty busy building trucks for the US market (its largest market) and the Fargo division probably had a more available capacity for exports.

porknbeaner likes this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

And don’t forget that Canada, being part of the great Commonwealth of Nations, would ship to other Commonwealth countries without tariffs or very little tariffs like Australia for example.

porknbeaner and H380 like this.
  12. Fortunateson has it right.

Cheaper to import a FARGO than a DODGE into all British Commonwealth Nations as the FARGO was built in a Commonwealth Country.

13. The Fargo was a pretty truck some years, granted that is opinion. At least the '41-46 era Fargo was way prettier/fancier than its US counterpart.

The shipping to the commonwealth countries makes perfect sense. There was a time that the saying, "The sun never sets on the British Empire, " was pretty much the truth. ;)

14. Jholli

Jholli

Thanks for the replies
    I tried decoding it with the x and without the x
    If no x added it comes up as a 49 fargo with the x nothing