Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ideas needed: solid linkage to Quadrajet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59chev, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Hey Guys, just dropped my engine in and now I need to figure out my throttle linkage. I have a Quadrajet on a small block with the factory bracket for the TV cable bolted to the intake. Transmission is a 700r4. I have the 55-59 Chevy Truck V8 solid linkage on the firewall that I want to connect to the carb.

The carb has a stud where the throttle cable is supposed to attach.
    - Should I just cut the stud off and drill it for my throttle linkage?
    - Can I just use the hole behind it?
    - make / buy a piece that will go over the stud on the Quadrajet and thread on to the threaded rod?

What worked for you? Thanks in advance.

74E9F1DD-7F6D-4BCB-A5DD-AAB94308C8E6.jpeg

2. squirrel

squirrel

first see how much travel you get with the pedal, then move the carb arm back and forth idle to full throttle, and see how close to the pivot the rod needs to be attached, to get that much travel. You might be able to cut the pin off, and use the hole that's forward and below where the pin was.

I have an earlier Qjet on mine, so the throttle arm is different, but you might get the idea from the picture.

carb.jpg

59chev likes this.
  3. Thanks Squirrel!!

4. Here is how I did mine:
    0608191935_HDR.jpg

I was reluctant to modify carb linkage, although that may have been easier.

The piece over the carb pin is an aircraft item, I think from that Spruce place. It is similar to the hardware used to adjust return spring length.
    A threaded tube from hardware store to connect to the throttle rod, which is threaded.

The two nuts and chain are linkage for cruise control, so that can be ignored.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Fordors, chevyfordman, TA DAD and 2 others like this.

5. Thanks pprather.

That was my thought as well, I was hoping to find a solution that would avoid drilling out the factory stud so that gives me some ideas.

I was confused by the chain until I read your comment at the end. It almost looked like a solid and cable linkage when I first looked at the picture.

6. squirrel

squirrel

funny, we both have cruise

The truck throttle linkage might not move as much as you need to use the pin. Check the range of motion, first. Unless you don't want full throttle, in which case you can use the existing pin, with some type of adapter.

59chev likes this.
  7. 59chev likes this.
  8. Thanks for the posting that out Algoma56. I did confirm that the engine came out of a squarebody c10 with a factory 700r4. Basically last year before they went to the TPS plug in the Quadrajet. I did double check the casting number on the carb to be sure.

pprather likes this.