Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Starter Won't Start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Nov 15, 2021.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am trying to get my BB Buick started up but have hit a snag. Im sure I can figure it out eventually but thought the HAMB braintrust might save me a few obscenities.

The starter is wired correctly. I have heavy gauge 0 fine strand wire and the battery is less than 6 ft away from the starter. When I turn the key, I get 12.5 volts to the solenoid but nothing happens. No click, no heat, nothing. I took the heavy SOB off and jumped it with a pair of jumper cables and it worked. I put it back on and also tried to short from the hot post to the solenoid and nothing.

This is the same rebuilt starter, flex plate, cover, etc that was on the engine before. I just rebuilt it and put a transmission adapter for a 700R4 on it. What am I missing?

Truck64 likes this.
  2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Is it installed again I take it? Yeah, even though it spins "no load" that doesn't mean it will work installed. Should get a grunt out of it though.

A pretty good field diagnostic is turn the headlights on and watch what happens when you turn the key. With a good starter, with a good battery, they will hardly dim at all. If the headlights choke out it shows a problem. Battery, poor connections, roasted starter, etc.

03GMCSonoma, VANDENPLAS and rockable like this.
  3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oops. My bad. It was not wired correctly. What is that extra #8 sized terminal on a GM starter for anyway? :rolleyes:

4. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

If I’m thinking correctly it provides 12volts to the coil while cranking the motor. To provide a hotter spark on startup.

5. Wrench97

Wrench97

^^ Yep provides a full 12v to bypass a resistor on the coil of a 12v system while cranking.

gimpyshotrods and rockable like this.
  6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

On points ignition , hei is 12v all the time .

rockable and carpok like this.
  7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked it up when I got back in the house. It sure throws me a curve now every 4 or 5 years. :D

gimpyshotrods and guthriesmith like this.
  8. gene-koning

gene-koning

Its just trying to keep you on your toes.

Truck64 and rockable like this.
  9. 1ton

1ton

Good news. Now, if it don't run, put some gas in it.

10. Budget36

Budget36

At least we didn’t come on and find out someone bought it from because it wouldn’t start, then they drove it out of the driveway;)

Truck64 and rockable like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

I think you have that backwards.
    But I think the OP had the wiring hooked up wrong as was not energizeing the solenoid

Blues4U and rockable like this.
  12. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm struggling to imagine how, by virtue of the cable and terminal sizes, it would be possible to get the wiring connected up wrongly. It would seem like a lot more work to get it wrong than to get it right! :) Now, switching the start signal wire with the bypass feed I can see happening, not that I've done that, honestly!!

Chris

rockable likes this.
  13. belair

belair

Does the generator gen? Do the pistons ... never mind.

03GMCSonoma and Just Gary like this.
  14. FRANK GRELLE

FRANK GRELLE

A haiku:
    If the starter don't start...By Frank
    A starter is something that starts the car,A Ender is a broken Stater, It Ended its time starting the car,There for you must replace the Ender with a new Starter.....oh no applause necessary

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not to worry…..’crickets’. :D

Ray

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Voltage of a good battery loaded to its rated CCA should maintain 9.5 - 10.5volts .

Truck64 likes this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've gone out and checked a couple of GM rigs in the past 50 years that were no start rigs after being worked on that had the same issue. It seems to happen more often with rigs with HeI that have the solenoid with the resistor bypass post as his does. On some of the V8's the S post hides real well while the R post waves at you and hollers "Look at me"