Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Disassembled a front end and found a surprise…

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el Scotto, Nov 15, 2021.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I've seen stuff kinda like that but it was on an old hay trailer. Jeez.

Deuces, olscrounger and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder what went on in the Stockcar pits...back in the 40s, 50s and 60s...

I often feel those fellas weren't only up against the danger of the race itself...

Deuces likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, show and tell of dad and grandpas craftsmanship...:eek:

Deuces likes this.
  4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Stogy likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, I have more integrity than you will ever know...Having near 40 years in Aviation Stuctural Assembly and repair I would never stoop to such ignorance. I also know my limit regarding my capabilities and enlist those that are skilled in things to address repairs beyond my skillset...

The link is there. It was Gas's Fathers Hotrod in the late 50s...I wasn't born yet...Perhaps his father knew nothing of the potential danger that was lurking every time he turned the key on his pride and joy...

This is truly why garage and even some shops are many times a base for potential bodily harm even death...trouble is weeding them out...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Just Gary and Deuces like this.
  6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I actually knew that, my avatar had some sketchy stuff done by my dad, he’s still my hero.

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah I've seen some crazy stuff on cars alot of it here...I guess we have to be careful of what we're being given in 'How to do things' even if it's from those we trust...:oops:

Deuces and nochop like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VANDENPLAS, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1957ish...Beautiful Hotrod...Gas did get it up to Speed...quite a great story...

Garage Hotrod was a way of life all over...but yes this is critical hardware...that could kill Hoodlum and others...not good...

Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  10. 1ton

1ton

11. cfmvw

cfmvw

Reminds me of a cobbled '32 my son and I saw at a car show years ago. Had a MII front end grafted in with some of the worst welding I had ever seen. Slag, burned holes, poor penetration, the usual hallmarks of poor workmanship. My son was probably 12 at the time, and even he recognized how bad it was. I won't even mention how bad the rest of the car was done...

12. Now that’s just not fair to Hillbillies!!

13. twenty8

twenty8

[​IMG]

Made with pride at 'Death Wish Engineering Services'.

427 sleeper, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  14. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

I take offense to that! :mad: Most of us are smarter than that.

Okie Pete, WalkerMD, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  15. Andy

Andy

Was it the Pinto that had the cable steering shaft? I was at a run and saw one shortened. They made a socket and just put the cable in it and drilled a hole thru everything.
    I was at a respected rod shop and they had an open house and a display project. It featured tubing and bolts to drop the tie rod and drag link down. The drop was at least three inches.

16. outagas1961

outagas1961

"they sure dont build em like they used to "

17. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

my father taught me alot . half the time it was dont do it this way ..........and do as i say not as i do was in there to

18. goldmountain

goldmountain

The parts that Stogy posted look a lot like the ones that came off my car. We do things differently here in Canada.

19. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

20. Some years ago I went with a friend to visit some of his friends in Kentucky. Seem to recall it maybe being around New Years. His friends were kind enough to put us up and feed us for a few days, treated us like we were family.

But they couldn't pass up the opportunity have a bit of fun with a couple of flatlanders like us staying under their roof. They were a farm family and explained to us that to "earn our keep" for a few days we'd have to get up at 6:00 in the morning and help them "strip 'backer". I had no idea what that meant, but I thought OK and figured it was the least I could do to repay their hospitality. Then it was explained that strippin' 'backer meant stripping the main stalks from tobacco leaves. Not exactly how we had planned to spend New Years in Kentucky.

As it turned out, they let us sleep till 7:00 or 8:00 and fed us a fine farm breakfast to boot. Including milk fresh from the cow that morning.
    :D

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yes they do...apparently there are places where safety certs and inspections aren't required...so sketchy motors/garage can operate dropping jaws and contributing to the wtf movement as standard operations at your service...I guess the silver lining is most of these end up points of conversation rather than death investigations...shoddiness didn't ever go away...

Deuces likes this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Walkarounds by eyes of experience are highly recommended and it's much more than just welds but many times certain things are flags for further investigation...it could save lives...

'28phonebooth and Deuces like this.
  23. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

cablesteering.jpg

Like this ? :( Mike

24. v8flat44

v8flat44

Ain't even good yard art ......

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sorry, no matter what you call it it's a serious problem that could kill...no offence meant to Hillbillies with integrity everywhere...
    Butchery has no borders...:oops:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Deuces and buick bill like this.
  26. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It blows my mind not only what people used to do but also that it so often somehow worked. Seems nearly every old machine I end up with has had some kind of hack job repair in the first half of its service life that just kept hanging on by a thread, but breaks as soon as I try to use it.

WalkerMD and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. twenty8

twenty8

Not "used to do"...........Still happens.......and still just as dangerous as ever.

Okie Pete, Budget36, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  28. SR100

SR100

That's wire-and-bobbin steering, typically only seen on cyclecars before 1925. That one looks like a GN. Pintos had rack and pinion, early ones ('71-2) were said t have a cable component. Does someone have a pic?

29. oldolds

oldolds

The cable was on the steering shaft. Connecting the steering column to the rack. It looks like a 5/8" thick speedometer cable. I never saw one that was worn out, but they seem to scare people.

SR100 and 427 sleeper like this.
  30. That’s scary .

Ive posted about the 1/2 assery I see on a daily basis and it drives me nut.

Im doing a bathroom Reno at home and everything , I mean EVERYTHING is bodged boogered and just plain wrong with the last guy who did it .

And the best part the listing agent and my neighbour both had to say how it was XXX company who did the bathrooms in this house and they are a LA -de -da fancy company , well they don’t know shit about squat other then selling high end fixtures and toilets ….. everything structural amd that could be hidden was of the most shit quality . It saddens me that this company probably got 20 grand or more to do the work and basically just shit everywhere.

There are time when a bubble gum or magyver repair is needed , get you out of a jam , or keep the project going until the correct part or repair can be completed . But out right crap is infuriating :mad:

if I could find the guys who did my bathroom I would squeeze there noses of there face like the pimple headed fucks they are !!

'28phonebooth likes this.