Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how to seal a brake pedal arm going through sheet metal flooring.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NVRRDUNN, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

The way that Studebaker did this...

1. Put a hole in the floor for the pedal arms.
    2. They laid a piece rubber with a "slit" (NOT really a hole) in it for the pedal arm to go through.
    3. Another piece of sheet steel laid over the rubber with a hole just large enough for the pedal arm, and screwed it to the floor.
    4. Laid the carpet over that whole thing. The carpet has a "slit" in it for the arm to come through. Smooth, clean, no junk on the floor.

For my modern cover version, I found a piece of 1/8" thick silicone rubber sheet that I put between the floor and the cover piece.

Mike

2. brading

brading

The VW T2 Split 60-67 and T2 Bay 67 to 70 had a brake pedal rubber mat with a round hole.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  4. I use the pedal seals from a 40 Ford …..

Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. ratrod0

ratrod0

Ok I'm not good at this but here's what you do. Greeze the pedal arm up good, put tape on the top and bottom of the floor 1/2" away from the hole, Silicone top and bottom mond it up and shape it to your liking, pull the tape off and then don't touch for a few days. Then clean the brake pedal arm, the greeze won't let the silicone stick to the arm.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've always used a piece of tire inner tube myself. Just cut a big square, and use a razor knife to put a slit in the middle. Then slide it over the pedal and arm, and slide it down to the floor. Attach it to the floor with strips of metal I cut for each side to hold it down. Then just install the carpeting over it, with clearance to not rub on the brake or clutch arms.
    It's cheap, easy, and once carpeted over it doesn't show.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

One other suggestion to what Val said is to punch a 1/4" hole at each end of where the cut is to be made, this will help deter the rubber from splitting farther.

Just Gary likes this.
  8. Mo rust

Mo rust

I use a piece of black foam like what is made for roll bars and cut a piece a couple inches around and poke a hole in the middle and I put it on the brake pedal arm below the floor and move it up to the floor with the pedal pushed down. When you let the pedal up, it locates the foam where it seal's the air except when you are pressing the pedal.

9. I use these:

[​IMG]
    1946 1947 1948 PLYMOUTH P-15 PEDAL DRAFT SEALS

I bought on ebay from a seller called moparpro

Rubber sheet or felt is cheaper but I really like the look of a vintage factory car part

10. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

I'm planning to use "whiskers" to seal my pedals, too, Nevvrrdunn. If you've had to modify the pedals, they may not go exactly through a small circular hole, so you have to seal a slit.

Home Depot sells aluminum brackets with whiskers that are used to seal the bottoms of doors.

11. Buckster

Buckster

Clutch & Brake Pedal Seals Part no. 91A-2476

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

The secret to any seal is to first get the pedal to swing in a perfect "arc", sometimes not so easy!

jimmy six likes this.
  13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Me to. Flat piece of inner tube with a slit, glued to the floor boards and covered with carpet. Done dozens this way.

kadillackid likes this.
  14. I have always used a piece of inner tube, A older hot rodder thaught me the trick many years ago.HRP

15. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

I once used a piece of leather from an old welding glove. Have since found that an old truck inner tube works better. Rubber is much easier to slip over those pedals with a 90 degree bend on the end. Glad I read this post as I now will try some of the Plymouth seals that Gregger Rod and Custom showed us.

16. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Yup, these work quite well... I use a little silicone grease to keep it smooth.