Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 ford with 37 tube axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt car, Nov 4, 2021.

1. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Anyone using or have snap-shots of 32-34's using a 37 original tube axle with the spring over application ? It's my understanding the 60 h.p. axle & 37 beam are of equal drop & realize it would require a 38-1/2" spring & no doubt with reversed eyes & 'A' crossmember to get it at reasonable ride height. Also probably not of concern is the track width of 50" as an unsplit wishbone would be utilized.

2. alchemy

alchemy

If you want to use an unsplit wishbone, with the stock K member, you will need to lengthen the wishbone as you widen it to reach the perches.

3. Guess you missed the Memo , not recommended to split the wish bone with a tube axle !!!

51 mercules likes this.
  4. -Brent-

-Brent-

I highlighted for emphasis.

5. alchemy

alchemy

And you missed the part where he said UNSPLIT.

'34 Ratrod and WalkerMD like this.
  6. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I hear you alchemy, I'm diggin up bones all around the shop 32, 39, 46, original, long, short, lengthened etc. trying to utilize what I have. The top half of the 'K' member is intack was trimmed for late engine/trans combo of some sort I'm running a flathead so subbed a bolt in complete f-1 cross member with pedal assembly set-up below it leaving the upper 'K' as is, ala drop out for the flathead open drive transmission. Have several axle choices including a tweeked 32 need to decide, spend the bucks to untweek the 32, buy new or use what I've available.

7. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Thanks, I'm well aware of the tube axle & splitting the bones precautions, point well taken.

8. LOL the internet has ruined hot rodding. People have been running split bones on tube axles for about 70 years give or take.

If you are lookin for snaps of a deuce or a model 40 using a V8 60 axle the easy way is to google LSR cars. That axle was really popular on the salt.

chevyfordman likes this.
  9. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

If I were to rate the success of a suspension component, I probably wouldn't point to it being used on what could be argued as one of the smoothest surfaces on the planet. ;)

I'm just joking of course, I'm building a roadster with a V8-60 axle, split hairpins, and a Schroeder sprint car box. Please don't tell the internet! :D

10. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

In my initial posting I incorrectly stated the 37 tube axle would require a 38-1/2" spring & should have read 33 1/2" as the spring perch bosses are 38-1/2"o.c. less 5" to provide proper shackle attitude equates to a 33-1/2" spring. In addition after giving pieces & parts a go around, I found that the 39 wishbone with the front of axle spring mounts trimmed would be the logical fit to the axle but falls 5" short of my home built f-1 combo/k member. At 42-1/2" vs. 32 wishbone at 47-1/2" a bit of a bracket might be a solution as opposed to reworking the bones. An additional interesting note, I found an original 32 wishbone requires only the slightest spread to open wide enough (2") to align with the axles 38-1/2" perch bosses but would require reworking the axle bosses or the wishbone to transition from the 2" boss to 2-1/2", need to rethink before proceeding on this one, not going to modify the axle for sure & the wishbone remains in question.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  11. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Anyone have any input on the ride height of the above discussion using a 37 original tube axle, with reversed eye spring over the axle & a model 'A' crossmember ? I realize the spring leaf count, can be toyed with, just wanting a general idea & was hoping someone had the low down with photo's. Ron

12. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

13. alchemy

alchemy

An A crossmember will get you one inch, a reversed eye spring will get you another, and maybe you can flatten the spring for a last inch or so. So, about three inches lower than stock. Will that do what you want?

14. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Thanks alchemy, need to dig around in my shop to search out what might be available, the current crossmember is bolted in & trimmed for front pulley clearance & lacks the usual motor mount stamped depressions so originally thought it to be a model 'A' but after placing the radiator on I still have an additional 2" to work with so may change that out. If I convince myself to use my 37 tube axle will need to purchase the special top of the axle 33-1/2"reversed eye spring anyway so not certain where that will put me, I believe the axle itself is real close to the drop on an original 32. In that regard several vendors list a seven leaf spring & some additionally list standing height others not. Between us probably came to the conclusion that the 3" number will need be.

15. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Okay ! I'll correct myself the crossmember currently bolted in my 32 chassis is more than likely a model 'A' & of course as it should it lacks the motor mount depressions, my mistake. At any rate as mentioned above least 2" of additional usable space for an attitude adjustment....need to slice & dice this one or get the repo bolt in unit.