Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driving a hot rod in Atlanta traffic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Due to our daughters recent accident we were forced into looking for a replacement vehicle for the Brenda's Flower shop delivery's and and knowing my daily pickup wasn't up for the trip we decided to drive my old beater '32, we were en-route to Cartersville, Georgia witch is roughly 400 mile round trip.

We had seen a nice clean low mileage Magnum wagon to replace the one that was totaled, the ride over was uneventful but as the daylight turned into darkness the traffic got more intense, these days I don't do a lot of night driving ,especially in 75 & 80 MPH, bumper to bumper traffic, and that's on spaghetti junction.

I feel for you guys that have to deal with that type of insane traffic every day, on the way home I don't think you could have drove a needle up my arse with a sledgehammer, makes me appreciate living in a small town. HRP

redoxide, Jibs, 1oldtimer and 33 others like this.
  2. Poor guy I feel for ya. I absolutely HATE driving through that nightmare Atlanta. If I have to go anywhere east of me I usually take the old back roads. It takes longer but its more scenic and my heart is a lot better off for it. I wouldn't even want to drive a tank through that armpit highway system.

john W., Elcohaulic, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Even though it was years ago,I drove through Atlanta at 6;ooPM going to a race,its was really bad even then,much more so then Miami>an I had thought Miami was bad.
    Used car adds are werid about how good they are,eye of who is writing the add. So looking is a crap shoot always.
    I looked at over a doz. Magnum's before finding one,that was kind of close too what the add said,I was only looking for the v3.5 V6 powered ones,the 2.7V6 were junk when brand new. The Hemi's are awesome power but there MPG suck. I'm still happy with my 2005 Magnum/under 100,oooM. Only probs have been the AC.

wicarnut, Lil32, williebill and 2 others like this.
  4. oldsman41

oldsman41

Chicago Is worse even on a good day. Dallas Fort Worth is insane and Miami they are suicidal. Atlanta really not that bad

verno30, Lil32, Dan Hay and 1 other person like this.

5. 476CCADA-9064-45A1-AA99-FA6BF1C729A1.jpeg A74AB08E-D8DA-4791-AE3C-73B531065BC1.jpeg 476CCADA-9064-45A1-AA99-FA6BF1C729A1.jpeg I'm with you guys. I love driving the Hot Rods almost daily. But I don't like the the super slabs with 80+ mph, and the bumper to bumper crazy's. I too live in the country and always try and take the country roads. Here’s a few fall photos of my Dad. We took a little fall road trip to see the leaves last week. C5A561F1-B692-4325-956C-AFC08CCB3BA2.jpeg

Rolleiflex, Spooky, Al T and 32 others like this.
  6. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

My business is right at Spaghetti Junction. I've been driving in it for 40 years. Only take the Chevy II on days I know there's no traffic. Twice in 15 years. Pulling a trailer is no fun but you get used to it. No other choice.

7. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

You guys have it easy!

I drive through Austin...

Dave

8. Dave, I swear, every time I am on that stretch of road it never fails, someone has lost a aluminum ladder, HRP

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

After nearly 40 years of trucking having to drive through Atlanta anywhere from 1 to 5 times a week, I refuse to go there anymore. I've been stuck in morning and evening rush hours, middle of the day and middle of the night. ALWAYS a crash somewhere! And I've seen my share of mangled aluminum ladders, LOL!

I trailered an OT car over there to a couple of show a few years back, that was bad enough, no way would I drive my old stuff through there. Like the song says, them cats are crazy!

Ragged Edge, Lil32, alanp561 and 3 others like this.
  10. Driver50x

Driver50x

Driving on I-4 between Tampa and Orlando is definitely risking your life. I won’t do it in my hot rod. I’ve got to be in something that I can hopefully survive a crash in.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Austin seems to have the most aggressive drivers I have seen anywhere. I'd rather drive in rush hour traffic in down town Seattle towing my sailboat or through Portland towing my car trailer than drive a rental car up I 35 in Austin. I've done all three.
    Maybe it goes with the age thing but it seems that I get far less interested in going to areas with heavy traffic every year. We used to go to Seattle every couple of months but outside of being able to see some boat friends don't care to go at all and unless they have the Portland Roadster show again or we go to the swap meet we don't have reason enough to go back to Portland.

12. jim snow

jim snow

I used to go to Atlanta frequently at my job. We always tried to time the trip between 9am and noon. In and out. Any delays would add hours to the trip. I don’t miss it. Snowman

lothiandon1940, AHotRod and 19Eddy30 like this.
  13. I read an article a few years ago about a study someone did about people with long commutes in heavy traffic. Their conclusion was that per 1 hour longer commute, a person would need roughly a $50k a year raise to justify the emotional and physical toll. Probably true.

johndee138, Ragged Edge, Tim and 4 others like this.
  14. HemiDave

HemiDave
    from Austin, TX

That swap meet you guys have up there in Portland is pretty awesome! I have some friends up there...one is Marlo Treit.

Dave

15. 2935ford

2935ford

I'm with you on big city driving with a Hot Rod.
    I did the L.A. thing for over 11 years.....Torrance to downtown and back for work.....ugh! Every year got worse.
    When I finished my builds, I drove them daily on this route. Stop and go most of the time both directions.
    Then moved to small town Ventura.....ahhhhhhh.
    Now Little village in N.B. Canada. Still crazy drivers but nowhere near the number of big cities.
    I'm done with those types of cities!

Lil32 likes this.
  16. upspirate

upspirate

You guys are getting old and crotchety!
    I've driven tractor trailers for years.
    Driven hot rods pulling trailers through Atlanta several times as well as "normal" cars.
    But... I'm old now and feel the same as you guys do.
    When I retired I swore I'd stay off the interstates, but we just bought a travel trailer, so I guess we will be on them somewhat, but will try and use the backroads whenever we can

17. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I'm out in it driving my Willys all the time! My number 1 reason for wanting to leave Atlanta is the traffic. But there's a lot of money to be had here, so I keep on fighting the crazies. Usta be people noticed old cars, now they don't see anything, or just don't care.

upspirate likes this.
  18. ratrod0

ratrod0

Danny that's what I do, you where with in 20 mins of my house. Going up 75. It is Crazy but that's what I gur up doing.

HOTRODPRIMER and Lil32 like this.
  19. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Moved my shop from just outside 258 to a little town north of atlanta 21 years ago which was
    a 20 mile drive each way from home, But at the time a two lane highway and a flashing yellow light at the entrance, Now a six lanes, insane traffic and an hour each way "If no wrecks"
    Only time i drive my old 48 is when i go north out of atlanta, I envy you folks that don't live here
    one day i hope to get back to the country.

Lil32 and stubbsrodandcustom like this.
  20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The bigger the city, the more aggressive the traffic. Traffic's not bad in downtown Alvaton, Kentucky !

21. Yeah these amish buggies in Owingsville rarely get out of hand.

joel, Slick34, guthriesmith and 2 others like this.
  22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I do it alot here all the time in my vehicles.. I will say I have dealt with Houston traffic my whole life, I don't know any different other than road trips and vacations etc... I will say this about Atlanta, its the butthole of the south in regards to traffic and crappy roads... I never have seen a city with lanes that go from 10 ft wide to 8'6 in some places... Put that in conjunction with 80 mph text and drive fools, Its downright the worst place I have ever driven.

Around here there isn't any real relaxing driving till you get about 40 minutes away from my house, then your worn out by the time you get there its just not as much fun for sure.

I can definitely understand the feelings man when it comes to traffic. Id rather deal with small town any day... I was on vacation once in a town of 80k roughly... I remember someone saying they had to beat the traffic. I drove around in prime traffic and it was like a Sunday morning where I live... I laughed... But can totally understand where your coming from...

Did yall find a good replacement?

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Went to many Hot Rod reunions at Fomoso over the years and let me tell you, if you happen to go through Sacramento at rush hour you better be ready for battle.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

all of the highway congestion goes with the old saying "ya gotta do what ya gotta do" - more than once have planned out a trip to some event somewhere all excited be on the road in a Hot Rod only to come to an abrupt stop while getting on the Highway to sit in bumper to bumper traffic - used to be something called "rush hour" now it is pretty much 24 hours a day - even Country Roads can be congested - oh well

25. Slopok

Slopok

Plus they shoot at everyone! :eek:

26. williebill

williebill

As much as I love everything automotive, especially HAMB stuff, I sure do despise sharing the road with idiots. Atlanta interstate sucked 40 years ago at 2 AM , I thought. Spent a week in LA area back in the 90s. Saw drivers defy the laws of physics every time we drove somewhere. Don't want to fight those battles anymore.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  27. goldmountain

goldmountain

Where I live, rush hour is just a concept; and I'm glad that's all it is.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  28. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

In my 20’s I drove truck in Chicago, Boston and New York weekly, that will give nerves of steel real quick. Lately I have driven my hot rod in Minneapolis and St. Louis in rush hour, can’t say I loved looking in the mirrors all the time

29. One of the things you young guys missed is us old guys can't see after dark. That makes and excursion after dark a little dangerous.

30. rusty valley

rusty valley

At home here I go out for drive nearly every day. usually see more cows than people. I like that. 30 miles east is Minneapolis, I dont like that.