Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Ford Pick Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AULIZ, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Auliz, mad props. You make me feel like a slouch on my '35! Better go get to work myself....

Stogy likes this.
  2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hahaaa..... don´t feel like that.
    I have good reason to spend daily 5-7hours in garage. Easy dayjob, which takes 3-4hours my working day.
    I have been working alone homeoffice 16years. days are long if no phonecalls or bigger inquiries (offer calculating; prices, load factor or strength calculation) --> I walk to garage and do something there. Im not in social media, God Bless. Also not want to spend all time reading newspapers webpages.... I can do it in the evening.

Next winter I continue my 1932 5w coupe ready. That one which I have done very much new sheet metal (rear quarters, door skins,...) years ago. I have owned car 5years and worked with it only 6-8weeks. You find that project pics in traditional hot rods. I was decide that car is next after this. I have push it foward, but now I really wait that I can continue building that car ready. One project at time. This car takes 6-7months, maybe not ready after that (electrics, interior,....). 5w coupe takes approx 1000hours. I have decided that I chop that car. Looks OK like it is, but I liked my ex 409cid 5w coupe which I chopped 4.5" (www.auliz.fi).

Aulis

Boryca, AndersF, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  3. AULIZ

AULIZ

Drv side rear fender is ready.

bought some "italian china" stuff. Hydraulicpump for my welding table and 70cm high table for sandsack.
    Aulis

raiski-138.jpg raiski-139.jpg raiski-140.jpg raiski-141.jpg raiski-142.jpg raiski-143.jpg fervi-1.jpg fervi-2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  4. AULIZ

AULIZ

Friday I cleaned garage and fixed my friends 55y old moped rear fender.
    Real bikers are drive moped!
    raiski-144.jpg mopo-1.jpg mopo-2.jpg mopo-3.jpg mopo-4.jpg mopo-5.jpg
    a

5. AULIZ

AULIZ

Monday.
    4hours sanding and few hours painting. After used "grease remover" -cleaner I pushed frame out and painted it. 2.5litre ready industrial epoxy primer (semi-gloss) sprayed all over.
    First thing I removed few things like bad quality brakelines and few wirings. Need to make new exhaust tubes and brakelines with new proportion valve.

Aulis

raiski-145.jpg raiski-146.jpg raiski-147.jpg raiski-148.jpg raiski-149.jpg raiski-150.jpg

Okie Pete, AVater, mgtstumpy and 6 others like this.
  6. AULIZ

AULIZ

Frame is waiting for new brakelines and exhaust. Wheels I leave to Sweden when i drive there after 10days. Micke will remove crome i DalaKrom -company.
    Today continued sheetmetaljobs. tailgate was not rusty, mostly like potatosack. I was hammer (shrink) few hours and also let some heat too. Also straight beads. 1meter long straightedge is show how much need to hammer and what way.

Aulis

raiski-151.jpg raiski-152.jpg raiski-153.jpg raiski-154.jpg raiski-155.jpg raiski-156.jpg

The 39 guy, Okie Pete, AVater and 7 others like this.
  7. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thursday is ready.
    Small parts welded and fixed.

aulis

raiski-158.jpg raiski-159.jpg raiski-160.jpg raiski-161.jpg raiski-162.jpg raiski-163.jpg raiski-164.jpg raiski-165.jpg raiski-166.jpg

8. AULIZ

AULIZ

I can see my pics are all the time more and more junk. We can see what happens when man is going older....
    hands are shaking, sight is worse,..... I hope vision what to do is nearly same level than earlier.....

Saturday start to weld running boards. those are not bad at all. Monday couple of hours working with those and can move on next parts, front fenders.

Saturday, yesteryday, I was pricing stuff. next weekend I drive 350km down to Turku (South-West Finland), take ferry to Stockholm where they have Ekens Gassers garage swapmeet. Want to sell stuff out. Yesteyday one man from South-East Finland picked up 34-35 rear axles, driveshafts, 1936 rear wishbones, some engine parts like ss valve, springs, locks.... I want to sell out all extra hot rod parts. This winter I work with this 1936 pick up. Next winter with my 1932 5w coupe project , which has been "pushed away" too many times. 5years ago, I bought that scrap. A have worked only 7-8weeks total with that project. I think it´s my last hot rod what I built (never say never). [​IMG]

HamB project thread: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...arrived-home-1932-5w-coupe-fed.1021060/page-3 , which will continue 2022 September when i continue project

I have been dreaming american style "barnhouse". If I sell this 95y old house, middle of the city, that would be my next project. Before that , I want to get all cars ready. 200squaremeter (2200sqf) floor area. 1st floor all for hobbies (Oskar for playing quitar or playstation.... need own room, my girlfriend Mirja needs one small room for haircutting, I need 90% of that space for hot rods.

1st floor need to devide few room. 3 x smaller approx. 10sqm (1100sqf) room (Oskar, Mirja, own coffee room...), one bigger garage for ready cars or car what I put together, one +20sqm (220sqf) room for welding etc. one same size room like "engineroom" where put together engine etc., one storeroom and one approx 30sqm room for paintjob, washing car....

2nd floor for living. big livingroom/kitchen with big fireplace, 2 sleeping room, utilityroom, big sauna, showerroom, toilet.... Simple barnhouse is my dream. when walk in to living floor, must use that old style "ramp", as they used early days when they drive in with tractor...
    This kind of dreaming early Sundaymorning when I am laying on sofa and drinking pancoffee and have fire on fireplace. This dream can be done after two year if im still good condition. One year project, but that kind of barnhouse is my big dream and You do not find those here in Finland.
    Aulis

raiski-167.jpg raiski-168.jpg raiski-169.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    The 39 guy, Okie Pete, bymanr and 7 others like this.
  9. AULIZ

AULIZ

Last 5weeks I haven´t spend my time in garage. I was sick weeks (influenza). I got virus when I was selling stuff in Ekens Gassers Swapmeet , Stockholm Sweden (27th Nov). God Bless, not Covid old or new version... I sold OK and see plenty of Hot Rodders and Racers.

Before Christmas I drove approx. 1300miles to see my industrial and dealer customers. Christmas holiday with Oskar..... Finally before New Year I continue welding. I had big problems with another hood top. when sheet metal is not welded on its place , like this hood, its not so easy to shrink steel with heat. Last week I drove down to South and bought own gas welding set. 20kg asetylene & oxygen bottles + what need. Little used set, bottles are inspected until year 2028. Now separeted sheet metal shrinking is OK.

I sold so much hot rod parts in Sweden, I reward myself and bought over 80euro Casio watch. When i was 13y old, I had same kind of watch. I bought some old enamel shades from Ebay, also ordered few old style arms. Need to made 5pc old style outside lights. Glass and porcelain insulators are made in Finland 40´s - 50´s.

Oskar is paint, glue together his first model car. 1:24 Revell Chevy Chevelle 396 SS. He has listen me all of his age. I talked him distributor, he answered me magneto....

raiski-170.jpg raiski-171.jpg raiski-172.jpg raiski-173.jpg raiski-174.jpg raiski-175.jpg raiski-176.jpg raiski-177.jpg raiski-178.jpg oskar-70.jpg oskar-71.jpg raiski-179.jpg barnlight-1.jpg barnlight-2.jpg barnlight-3.jpg barnlight-4.jpg barnlight-5.jpg

Aulis

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    The 39 guy, Okie Pete, bymanr and 8 others like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Looks Like you have been busy!

Stogy likes this.
  11. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

You do nice work! Great attention to detail from what I can see. Thank you for sharing!

Stogy likes this.
  12. AULIZ

AULIZ

Now feels that nothing comes ready.... too much dayjob, less in garage. Thats not combination.
    Finally another hood top was ready for putty. This week I want to get ready for primer rear fenders, hoods, small parts, tailgate. Hood´s new SS hinge installed and checked that it works. Side hinges I changed from original "oval" to new "round" 8mm stainless steel bearing shafts. Tight little hooks, now sides and tops move easily.
    raiski-180.jpg raiski-181.jpg raiski-182.jpg raiski-183.jpg raiski-184.jpg raiski-185.jpg raiski-186.jpg raiski-187.jpg
    Aulis

The 39 guy, Okie Pete, bymanr and 4 others like this.
  13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Another rear fender is ready. Two days,
    15hours interesting job.

Aulis

raiski-189.jpg raiski-190.jpg raiski-191.jpg raiski-192.jpg raiski-193.jpg raiski-194.jpg

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

Looking good!

Stogy likes this.
  15. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Amazing work! I’ve owned 3 1936 Ford 1/2 ton pickups. My first car in 1961 was one. All three had fiberglass rear fenders so the fact that yours has metal is amazing to me.

Stogy likes this.
  16. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    No showquality, only for driving. This fender was very bad. I weld a lot, they were welded +20y ago a lot.
    Looks out that there is very much putty, but I have used from begining (hoods, small parts, this fender, started another fender) less than 1kg. Earlier I used lead, but now a days only metalputty and this normal , medium hardness. Soft or supersoft are too soft for me.

When get those parts ready, I drive to my friends carpainting company. Black epoxy primer (industrial) all over.
    When epoxy is "fall" and dry (2-3weeks), I can continue welding front fenders and bed. Front fenders are better than rear ones. Bed is like "potato sack", so my new gas welding set will be used much.

Aulis

Stogy likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy New Year Auliz and Oskar and the family...;)

brady1929 likes this.
  18. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Great work!!!

Stogy likes this.
  19. fleetside66

fleetside66

Nice work, Aulis. You are the hot rod spirit of Finland!

Stogy likes this.
  20. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Thanx for sharing your pics and stories with us. Real Nice Work!

Stogy likes this.
  21. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    Happy and Health Year 2022 everybody!

This Covid is strange and I hope it´s slow down now. I want to travel USA see friends, meetings, swapmeets,...
    30th of Dec 2021 evening, I was visit my friends company here in Seinajoki city. Same location is also Jaska Salakari´s Nitro motorcycle "factory". I knew that I meet there friends all over. You know what I mean, old style coffee drinking and talking shit. There was 8 person, we all have get 2shot. Two days later 6 of us had covid on. I think, I had covid before that. I was selling hot rod stuff in Ekens Gassers swapmeet (stockholm, swe) last Saturday of November. After that I was weeks just inside house, do my dayjob and have fire on fire place. I was not feel good, but not very sick.

Travelling is not easy now, not good happenings arranged,... everybody is suffer way or another. Im lucky that I have garage, I can spend time there daily, but slowly it makes me more hillybilly. I have been dreaming to sell this 1920´s house and built countryside American "barnhouse" (100 squaremeter living quarter upstairs, 230 squaremeter differendt hobby/car spaces 1st floor). I need to calculate costs, and somebody must make me drawings. I know that it´s too expensive now a days, but never know before I have calculate all costs. American Barnhouse is my 30y dream, so next years its last time to make dream true or forget it.

Now need to wake Oskar up and send him to bicycle School and go to garage continue "dustjobs".
    Aulis

Stogy, brEad and Shadow Creek like this.
  22. AULIZ

AULIZ

Rear Fenders ready.
    Today get ready grill.

Tomorrow I get DHL shipment. Vertex magneto arrive from USA. I need to work one day with it. I make from Chevy Vertex magneto --> Ford Flathead 8BA fit magneto. One customer asked me to do that job.

I have note that Teams -meeting is good to do same time than sand putty...

Aulis

raiski-195.jpg raiski-196.jpg raiski-197.jpg raiski-198.jpg raiski-199.jpg raiski-200.jpg raiski-201.jpg
    Aulis

23. patsurf

patsurf

multi tasking!

Stogy likes this.
  24. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You.
    I have been lazy , no posted pics here last weeks....

Here couple of pics. LH front fender. raiski-211.jpg raiski-212.jpg raiski-213.jpg raiski-214.jpg raiski-215.jpg raiski-216.jpg raiski-217.jpg raiski-218.jpg raiski-219.jpg raiski-220.jpg raiski-221.jpg raiski-222.jpg
    Aulis

The 39 guy, Okie Pete, bymanr and 4 others like this.
  25. AULIZ

AULIZ

RH Front fender is still "under construction".
    Aulis

raiski-223.jpg raiski-224.jpg raiski-225.jpg raiski-226.jpg raiski-227.jpg raiski-228.jpg
    raiski-229.jpg raiski-230.jpg raiski-231.jpg raiski-232.jpg
    raiski-233.jpg raiski-234.jpg raiski-235.jpg raiski-236.jpg raiski-237.jpg raiski-238.jpg raiski-239.jpg raiski-240.jpg raiski-241.jpg raiski-242.jpg raiski-243.jpg

The 39 guy, Okie Pete, bymanr and 7 others like this.
  26. AULIZ

AULIZ

front fenders ready for epoxy primer.
    Now shrinking tailgate
    Aulis

raiski-244.jpg raiski-245.jpg raiski-246.jpg raiski-247.jpg raiski-248.jpg raiski-249.jpg raiski-250.jpg raiski-251.jpg raiski-252.jpg raiski-253.jpg raiski-254.jpg raiski-255.jpg raiski-256.jpg raiski-257.jpg raiski-258.jpg raiski-259.jpg raiski-260.jpg raiski-260.jpg raiski-261.jpg

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know personally how much work that is and I must say you make it look so easy! You are a craftsman sir! Are you going to paint it as well?

28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

its great to see them come back from the dead ,nice work

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    Stogy likes this.
  29. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    When I was Young there was many older man who were doing what they want. One, Gunnar Pinola, was worked in Detroit car factories. I can´t belive how they shrink and stretch metal without english wheel,.... I was try to ask if they are teach me, but You know finnish "iceman" style men.... they were quiet and continue working.... Once Gunnar told me (finnish small talk) "come tomorrow". I wonder why I go to his place,... but he remember I was asked 1-2y earlier to teach me. He teach me little (shrink, lead) I helped him to sell his 1972 satellite which he as bring to finland when they moved back to Middle-Finland.

My dayjob , I sell bearings to industry/dealers, is easy. I have worked 16-17years homeoffice. I have deal with company owner (old man in Helsinki) that he do not care what I do all days, if there is come in enough turnover and sales margin is OK. I have fixed salary, I make good money them and everybody happy. while I work garage, while inside my house (office).... dirty clothes all day long like all sales managers.....;-)

Aulis

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  30. AULIZ

AULIZ

Friday is kicked.

Two x thin putty.

Aulis raiski-266.jpg raiski-267.jpg raiski-268.jpg raiski-269.jpg raiski-270.jpg