Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sounds like you need to make a trek up to Petaluma with the roadster to make some high speed test runs on Paradise Road aka Frates Road!

It's good to see some pictures of Petaluma. My sister-in-law used to live there and I remember spending many, many hours just walking around town to find American Graffiti filming locations, breath taking historic homes and buildings, etc. Its definitely a special place. I need to go back.

catdad49, Stogy and Outback like this.
  2. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Good questions. To be honest, I don't have an answer to those yet. I'm going to make a note to discuss strategy on this front with di Falco on Saturday.

Thank you! I completely agree. It's always fun starting with a rough idea and slowly dial it in with the right tools. I'm digging how the motor mounts are coming along.

I love the sound of that. It's such a neat little town. It seems as if there's something interesting or historic around every corner. Seeing that the weather is traditionally gloomy here in San Francisco in May, I make it a point to drive up there on my birthday weekend to enjoy the spring sunshine. I can't wait to make that trip in my roadster half a year from now.

3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Between Sunday's Yerba Buena Antique Motorcycle Association 49-mile Ride and my recent trip to Seattle, I haven't had a ton of time to turn wrenches on the roadster. That being said, I've been collecting parts, little by little.
    IMG_9793.jpg
    The big one was the '39 Ford trans. It's been completely rebuilt, and I can't believe it's mine. IMG_9794.jpg
    Of course I had to customize it right away. With any luck, we will succeed. Thanks, Lucky! IMG_9694.jpg
    Other highlights include my front spring and shackles. The spring is a new, reverse-eye setup that will eventually be painted to match the rest of the suspension. But more on that later.

4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I was able to work on the car all afternoon. So what did I do? I addressed some big and little things.

While I was in Portland, my Holley fuel pump died on me. This had happened twice before, but I wasn't able to figure out why. Well, when I pulled the pump, I tapped a whole lot of sediment out of the metal filter. I found this surprising, considering there's a screen filter in the tank. Now that I think about it, my car's fuel is triple filtered. 1) Tank screen 2) Pre-fuel pump filter 3) glass filter bowl in the firewall. Nonetheless, Yama and I replaced the fuel pump with a fresh one on the side of MLK Boulevard in Portland. The whole process took about 15 minutes.

When we returned to SF, I wasn't happy with how the car was idling. For whatever reason, it was just too high. I played with the timing and the mixture, both of which only made it worse. I was pretty perplexed. Then, while it was running, I checked the fuel pressure gauge. At one point it was close to four pounds of pressure. Reviewing my Stromberg's instructions, it said 2.5 max. The new pump was identical to the old, but it was pushing out double the fuel pressure. My guess is that, with unrestricted flow, it's able to crank out max psi. But...that's too much.

So, what did I do? I bought one of Holley's 1.5-2.5 psi pumps and hooked it up. I then re-timed the engine. After a whole lot of driving yesterday, I can say that it definitely helped. We're back to regular idle, and the car runs well.

Just in the nick of time, too. I really wanted to drive it to the Balboa Theatre to see "The French Dispatch," which is a movie by my favorite director, Wes Anderson. It's a story about magazine journalism, so naturally you guys know how much I enjoyed it.

Rolling up to the theatre, I was worried about finding a spot. With the car idling out on the main drag, people poked their heads out of the neighboring bar to see what the fuss was all about. As I waited, I saw a couple approach their car, which was positioned right in front of the marquee.

"What is that?" the woman asked.
    "A 1930 Model A," I said with a hint of pride.
    "Model A?" she said. "My dad learned to drive on a Model A. He always talked about it, but I've never seen one in person until right now. Is it all original?"
    "It is," I replied. "Sorta!"

She and her husband pulled out of their spot, allowing me to take the best spot in the house. IMG_9819.jpg
    And for those of you who are neon fans, here's the sign in action here.

5. Neat little video of the neon.

41 GMC K-18 and Stogy like this.
  6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I thought the movie sucked

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Nobey

Nobey

That's a cool photo, why the wooden barricade in front of the Theater?

8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks! We're lucky to have so much historic neon here in SF. The Balboa's is especially nice.

To each their own.

Thanks! That's one of the new-ish parkettes—essentially extra patio seating for eating and drinking before and after the movies.

catdad49, Stogy, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

On our many trips between Texas & California when I was a kid my dad would drive straight through so we went through a lot of towns at night. I'd have him wake me up so I could see the neon. It was absolutely amazing even in very small towns. It's one of my greatest memories of those road trips along with my dad's amazing roadside repairs & sitting by the road while he hitched a ride somewhere to return with parts. It was in the time of black & white TV and still a lot of black & white movies. Comic books & the Sunday comics were the most colorful print material. It was magical.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  10. blimitedpt

blimitedpt

11. blimitedpt

blimitedpt

Hi Jeff34, A good friend of mine purchased the Model A roadster with the REM Manufacturing twin overhead cam conversion.
    Sadly after he had driven the car about 7 miles, the lower aluminum Gilmer drive pulley sepalerated from the cam drive shaft. The six cap screws holding the pulley were not properly installed
    We are going through the cam dive assembly and have got the everything back in place.
    Our obstacle now is to see if we can find our any information on how to install the upper cams at the correct position relative to TDC on #1 cylinder.
    If you know of any other owners of the REM conversion engine it would be helpful if they had information on setting up the cam timing.

The previous owner of the car said there were at least 3 of the twin overhead conversion in existence and may be as high as 11 conversion.
    Perhaps the new owner will bring it to Bonneville Salt Flats in 2022 if he can get everything dialed in.
    Any help with knowledge and owners of this conversion would be greatly appreciated!
    Best Regards,
    Louis

12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hi Louis, sorry to hear about the mishap. I know you guys will get to the bottom of it. I feel like if you posted this on the main board, it would likely get more traction. That is such a neat car, and I'm glad your friend got it!

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Quick lunchtime update:
    IMG_9869.jpg
    I've just been dialing things in during my neighborhood excursions. It was sunny here yesterday, so you know I just had to drive the car to the grocery store. An older woman pushing her shopping cart took a look at it and said, "Wow, that's a big project!"

14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

After reading the updates on @Six Ball's roadster thread, I was inspired to share a list of my own. As all of you very well know, this is basically two projects happening at once. The 'banger version is close, and I'm slowly but surely gathering parts for the V8 version.

To be honest, I've been spending a lot of my free time parts hunting. Whether it's on here, Instagram, Cragislist, estate sales or garage sales, I'm always looking. That being said, some parts are proving more difficult to find than others.

Here's what I have collected thus far:

'32 Frame
    '32 axle, dropped by @jackandeuces
    '32 wishbone, un-split
    Posies reverse-eye front spring
    '32-'34 spring perches from @Hitchhiker
    Repro front shackles
    Round-back spindles
    '40 backing plates from @gimpyshotrods
    '40 brake shoes
    Vulcanized '39 trans mount bracket w/ hardware
    Model A rear crossmember
    Model A rear spring
    '34 rear axle bells
    '40 rear brakes (complete)
    4 x tube shocks (more on those later)
    '40 Ford steelies
    Original '32 grille insert
    '48 Ford flathead V8, rebuilt
    '39 Ford trans, rebuilt
    2 x air cleaners
    2 x Fenton mufflers

Here's what I'm looking for:

'32 Ford radiator
    '32 Ford grille shell, steel
    Front U-bolts
    '40 Ford front brake internals
    Steering arm/tie rod/drag link
    F-1 front shock mounts
    F-1 steering box
    59AB headers, preferably old
    '32 Ford rear transmission yoke
    Emergency brake components
    Torque tube
    Rear U-bolts (Model A)
    Rear shackles
    Halibrand 201 Quickchange rear (I have a lead on one, but I'm still on the hunt)

I'm sure there are a lot of other items that I'm missing, but this is where I'm at. I would love to buy some/all of these directly from you. Please let me know what you have!

15. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I have a torque tube and front u-bolts Joey.
    I'll send pictures tomorrow

J.Ukrop, Stogy, Nailhead A-V8 and 2 others like this.
  16. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lemme go through my shed tomorrow. I am hoarding chassis stuff for my next build, but I think I ended up with some extra '40 brakes.

e: Yep. Make sure you check your text messages!!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  17. RodStRace

RodStRace

Joey, the lady got you thinking about how big the project was, and triggered the list. Give 'er credit! :D

Do you have a M/C and pedals selected/acquired? That was the only 'chunk' that jumped out as missing from the list.

J.Ukrop, Stogy, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  18. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Lists are good tools. Especially when you can check things off or move something to the other list.

19. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

there are U shaped and squarish front u bolts,
    which hand crank retainer do you have ? crowned or flat...
    get bolts to match it...

Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Haha you're right! Subliminal for sure. I have a set of '34 pedals and '39 pedals, which I totally forgot to include on the list. I'm going to try to figure out which I want to run as more components come together.

Amen to that! New list happening soon.

Thank you again!

@wheeldog57 hooked me up, so it's looking like we're heading in the right direction.

22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

What a weekend. Friday, Saturday and Sunday were all filled with hot rod hijinks. IMG_9921.jpg
    On Friday evening, my friend and fellow photographer Xander Cesari dropped by the house. He was out in San Francisco on assignment, but he was able to carve out some time to take a rip around town in the roadster. We had a blast putting this old car through its paces on these historic streets. Richmond, Haight, Sunset, Marina, Presidio, you name it—we were there. People were extra excited to see this car out and about on a warm fall night.

The following morning, I made my way up to Petaluma to pick up some critical pieces of the puzzle. As much as I would like to share the details now, it's getting late. I'll continue with the full story tomorrow.

282doorUK, Nobey, cactus1 and 14 others like this.
  23. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Looking forward to seeing what you picked up!

Wife and I stopped in Petaluma a few years ago, on our way from San Francisco up to Mendocino. We'd planned on taking Hwy 1 but found it tedious, so we headed inland instead (and loved it). Didn't spend too much time in Petaluma other than lunch, but it seemed like a cool place. Hopefully we'll spend more time there someday, especially since I found out later that Lagunitas is based there! At least we found North Coast up in Fort Bragg.

We caught The French Dispatch on Saturday, first movie we've caught in a theater since early '20. Very interesting. Thought the prison art and student rebellion stories went a tad long, but as a whole, creative and fun and worth a watch. Our favorites remain Fantastic Mr Fox and The Grand Budapest Hotel. I assume you've seen Castello Cavalcanti, it's a fun little short centered around a Mille Miglia-esque race.

dwollam, catdad49, J.Ukrop and 3 others like this.
  24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The tease effect of some of the posts here remind me of Crusader Rabbit. Each episode was maybe 5 minutes 3 1/2 of review one minute of update and 30 seconds of tease for the next episode. :D We loved him too. :rolleyes:

Nobey, catdad49, Outback and 2 others like this.
  25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It's beautiful country up there. Although the coast gets all the hype, I love traveling north on the inland route—when it's not summertime on my motorcycle!

Glad you got to see The French Dispatch. I agree that there were parts that felt a little drawn out, but overall very enjoyable. Just like you, I hadn't been to the movies in well over a year.

I love the Castello Cavalcanti short. Such a hidden gem of the Wes Anderson universe. For those who haven't seen it, you can view it in its entirety here.

Hahaha you know that's not my intent. I'm doing everything I can to keep the ball rolling. Sometimes it's better for me to post updates in sections rather than bogging you guys down with too much stuff at once.

26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As promised, we're back with the weekend recap.

Saturday morning, I made my way north to Petaluma to meet up with fellow H.A.M.B.er @bushwacker 57. Although it was sunny in San Francisco, I ran into some heavy fog as I rolled into Sonoma County—usually things go the opposite way. The air was crisp when I stepped out of my truck, and it wasn't long before I was in Mike's driveway. Boy, was in for a surprise.
    0CD839FB-9C41-4E4A-ACA6-B6FB440552CE.jpg
    There, front and center, was his freshly finished 1932 three-window. After decades of collecting parts, he put the pieces together to make a first-class hot rod. I was blown away by the hot flathead and incredible detailing throughout. IMG_9950.jpg
    Next level stuff right here. A huge inspiration. IMG_9949.jpg
    Flathead goals.
    IMG_9935.jpg
    This is the engine in Mike's survivor '32 roadster—one of my favorite hot rods of all time. With any luck, you'll be seeing more of this one in the not-so-distant future.

For the rest of the morning, I got to hang out with Mike and hear some amazing stories about everything from racing Gassers to tearing around San Francisco on a brand new Harley Servi-Car. I can't wait to go back to his place soon.

So, what pieces did I pick up? Well, first and foremost, I got a really nice F-1 steering box. I also bought my F-1 shock mounts, pitman arm and drag link. Thank you again, Mike!
    IMG_9954.jpg
    My latest acquisition basking in the sun at di Falco's.

27. Jeff34

Jeff34

Hey Joey,
    Welcome to the fog belt. The last week has been crazy foggy. Maybe 1/4 mile visibility. I have lived here for 20 years now, but my family has lived here since the late 1800’s, and I wouldn’t leave this place for anywhere else, unless the developers screw it up too much. Glad to hear you’re making progress on Roadster Gen 2.0. Haven’t seen as much of David since he moved and doesn’t walk his dog down my street every day, but I do drive by his shop when I’m out and about to see if he’s open. I’ll be out at Cars n coffee in Petaluma this Sunday at Peet’s on the Eastside if you’re up.
    Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Six Ball, catdad49, Outback and 2 others like this.
  28. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @J.Ukrop
    You should start making plans to attend the 2022 Portland swapmeet this coming April. It's a pretty amazing gathering of cars and parts and a whole lot more! Lots of cool stuff on the race track and up at the expo center as well.

Six Ball, catdad49 and Outback like this.
  29. Mike's roadster has always been one of my favorites. And now his 3 window......really nicely done. And you scored some bits, great to see your project progressing.
    Yes the fog has been something else last week or so, I did an OT sporty car type of run out to Tomales on Saturday and there were patches of near zero visibility, then you go over a rise and pop out into the sunshine. I love this Bay Area climate.

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I miss the fog though I don't miss driving in the really thick stuff. We get frozen fog here in the winter pogonip, white death. Not roadster friendly.

Stogy, 97 and Jeff34 like this.