Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 60 El Camino Spinning Wheel Stud

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al T, Nov 13, 2021.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Shoot , I'm not sure I own a drill bit that would go through a chrome lug. Guess it's time for some new ones.

kidcampbell71, lowrd and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh...I doubt that...why the hell read just slap it together...that's MUCH more likely...I wonder of the 20 Lugs how many are actually on correct...I mean there was 50/50 odds...:p

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A tire shops worst nightmare I suppose...

4. The HAMB humor is rampant!

5. Regardless of what you do if you want to save the rim chrome. Tape up all around it with multiple layers of blue tape of better yet some gaffers tape

I would put the wheels in the air and roll that lug so it’s facing 6 o’clock with the other lugs loose. Then knock it from the rear of the wheel with a BFH and block of wood to try To swedge it back into the hub hole.

onviulsy take all the other safely percausions when having the car in the air.
    Otherwise like everyone else said use a smaller Dremel cut the nut off.

Ebbsspeed, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. If your drill bit selection isn't tougher than the lug wrench that rounds off/mars lug nuts .. then YES .. it's time to upgrade your bits. :cool:

The stud is generally harder than the lug nut. Cutting oil is your friend. So is patience. Either or .. start with the smack of a good center punch. Make your mark, pilot hole drill with smaller bit, then jump up in size.

More to it, & more process, but ..

It's just metal. Regardless .. looks like Al has it licked, but I've drilled lugs many a time. Usually from loose wheels, being re-tightened on damaged threads. If you can't break it off, it'll sometime spin the knurl.

.. and here we are. :)

Stogy and tommyd like this.
  7. Andy

Andy

I saw a YouTube vidio of a guy working on a high end Audi. The tire store had seized a nut and also rounded it off. He drilled it out. The stud is 7/16 not 1/2 like Ford. He got it out without hurting the wheel.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

You get it off yet?

abe lugo, Budget36 and Stogy like this.
  9. sunbeam

sunbeam

As I said before if you remove the 4 nuts holding the axle retainer you can pull the axle brake drum and wheel as a unit. This will allow you to get to the back side of the stud and weld something to it that you can use to hold it from turning.

hemihotrod66 and Stogy like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's not going to work worth a damn on the front wheel he needs to take the wheel off per what he said in his first post. Never Assume.

SS327, 427 sleeper and Stogy like this.
  11. sunbeam

sunbeam

My bad How about removing the center cap they are $20 if you destroy it? Is there enough room to remove the dust cap and nut?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  12. I made up a 5 foot extension years ago from black pipe and a sacrificed short extension, welded it all together. It was used to shut the water main in the street when I moved my water meter. I still have it.

13. OK here's my 2 cents:
    Weld an arm onto the side of any old beat up socket that fits the wheel nut and drill it out
    1/2" using the 1/2" square as a guide.

tommyd likes this.
  14. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I tried posting this earlier but was not successful.

I like my way best. Quick, easy, done. Tightest socket ( half inch ) you have, extension ( prefer a foot or more ) and pipe ( 4 ft long is nice ).

Move the lever in a straight line back and forth. Each time push and pull harder and harder. The stud will bust, with the nut on it. The remaining stud is easily punched out and replaced for about $4.

Works Quick, easy, done.

SS327, Lone Star Mopar and nochop like this.
  15. I've also cut lengthwise down one side of a nut to help relieve it's grip on the bolt. A sharp chisel, whacked in to the crack, and the nut expands enough to come off.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Flat toe it around a while. It'll fall off soon enough. :rolleyes::p

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  17. wayne-o

wayne-o

I had this happen twice recently, one on a friend's car w high dollar aluminum wheels where the nut was sunk down in the wheel and on my car w a steel wheel. In both cases drilled out the center of the stud using a good cobalt drill bits stepping up to 3/8 inch. (7/16" stud). Had to take an old socket and weld a handle on it to keep the nut/stud from turning. After drilling deep enough put a large punch in the hole and w a hammer broke the stud off. The studs are case hardened so drilling out to the OD of the threads is difficult but easy to break. Took about an hour to do.

Andy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. inthweedz

inthweedz

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but if you removed all the other nuts, dropped the vehicle/wheel on to the ground, then using the weight of the vehicle to put side thrust on the shaft, would that be enough to prevent the stud spinning??

kidcampbell71 and tommyd like this.
  19. 1ton

1ton

Lots of good suggestions here. Whichever method you decide to use, you must not concentrate on how you are holding you're mouth. You know, tongue hanging to one side while mouth is open a bit. Maybe you do it another way. That has to be a natural expression that you make when concentrating on a task at hand. Although, keeping the mouth shut will keep shit from flying in there. But if you smash a finger or bust a knuckle, go ahead and open it wide to let the cuss words out.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd just amazed and appalled on how many don't actually read the gent's complete post all the way though before throwing out an answer. Many that can't possibly work.
    Then there are some that will work but the added cost of special drill bits are probably more then he actual value of the wheel he is trying to take off in the real world.

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you stroke it enuff it'll get off...:eek:

Hey, nobody else said it:cool:

alanp561, SS327, Budget36 and 3 others like this.
  22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yikes

23. Success. Used a small Zip disk on a Dremel and was able to cut through the nut shank on opposite sides. 18”extension and a socket and the nut snapped. You can see the nut was almost off but was stubborn. All 5 studs will need to be replaced. The PO buggered up all of them.
    804F9833-D49B-4FA7-9A53-E7B50D62E070.jpeg

24. Yay!!!!! Go brother!

25. Couple of light knicks…. but they’ll be fine. It’s surprisingly difficult to use a cutting disk blind because of the sparks in the contained space of the spokes. Couldn’t see shit.

Stogy and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  26. You did good man

Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How do you spell relief? THIS!!! Good job Al. The hole in the hub looks pretty Loosy...yes blind operations are difficult...that's when you can fill your eyes with crap trying to get in close to see what's happening...

28. 1ton

1ton

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap

Stogy likes this.
  29. Success! Glad you posted your success story, it encourages others to persevere.

30. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pour some denatured alcohol in the air line. Keeps the tool from freezing up.