Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Ford F-100 Restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1953naegle, Oct 20, 2017.

1. 1953naegle

1953naegle

First I gotta admit I haven't been very active on the forum lately. I've been busy with work, family... you know the deal. But It's fall, and I don't know why but when the Texas air starts too cool off and overcast becomes the norm, I get the bug to work on the cars.

My dad is the second owner of a 1953 Ford F-100. He bought it from a family friend in Arizona who had bought it new. The guy had never been into Fords, but he settled on this one because it was the only one in 1953 that he could fit all 5 members of the family on the front seat. He put quite a bit of mileage on it and ended up replacing the engine with a 1954's 223 before he sold it to my dad (living in California at the time) who restored the truck in the late 80's. Unfortunately in our family, we tend to treat tools like tools though, so it was put to work. It got quite a few dents hauling firewood when we moved to northern Idaho, and when we moved to Texas and got into the machinery business, it saw a lot of use. So when the 2000's came around, it was going to need some more work. The Texas climate has not been kind to the body and the Transmission needed an overhaul. My dad found a local guy who tore the whole truck down and did 99% of the body work (paint included), and got the chassis rolling. Then things started getting crazy. Outsourcing the work on the truck was getting too expensive so we brought it all home, and around this time we decided that after 20 years living in small town Texas, our family-run machinery company needed to get into the big city. So we built a new shop in Conroe Texas and relocated my parents, my family, and my brothers family to new homes in the area. That was 2 years ago and we are still sorting things out, but business is going well.

My dad's health has been declining in recent years. He's all there mentally, but doesn't have the strength or memory he once did. We've watched him decline, but he had a mini-stroke about 6 months ago that was kind of a wake-up call. The trucks been in the works for about 5 years and I worry that he won't get to see it done. So despite the long crazy hours my brother and I put in at work, we're going to get the truck done for him!

I'll post pictures and progress as they come. The goal is to restore the truck, but as it's been a work truck all it's life, some "practical" improvements will remain, such as the 12 volt conversion, air compressor and tank, and custom bumpers. It had an air horn and extra running lights on the roof and front fenders, but we decided to leave them off and let the truck show it's lines more. We also ended up with a very old but solid stake-side set that we plan on refinishing for the truck. My dad's been getting most of his parts through Mid-Fifties and Dennis Carpenters and I've been sourcing some other items online.

The current focus is to get the engine done. It's still got a lot of life in it so we are cleaning it, replacing exterior gaskets, repainting everything, and sorting out all the little details that bolt to it. One of the exhaust manifold bolt holes was cracked but we found a good deal on another set that's solid and much less rusted. Everything I found in my research lead me to believe that there was never a standard engine color for 1954 223's. Our's was most recently blue with red and black components. We decided to paint the block all red with black components. The transmission has been rebuilt and will just be getting a new coat of black before we put it back on the frame.

The cab is already mounted and the bed is loosely bolted together until we get some new mahogany boards cut for it. My dad bought a lot of new body panels for the truck instead of fighting all the dents and rust. The only paint we have left is the doors, hood, and tail gate. The truck is still the original light green color (almost looks white), however the old steel rims (not yet refinished) will be black as they seem to have always been. While we get the engine and transmission in, we'll also get the battery box, gas tank, and other under body pieces in place. The front fenders and doors are still off at the moment

We missed the opportunity to fill in some extra cut-outs in the dash before the final paint was done on the cab. It has extra holes for an aftermarket radio and wind-up clock (which we think came out of a 1940's Buick). My dad is dead set on keeping the clock in the dash, but I'm thinking about cutting some tin or stainless to cover the radio holes and trim around the clock to make them look a little more natural. I'll post some pics and see if you guys have any ideas. The truck has had many extra switches and gauges added and removed over the years, but we're planning to get the old cluster back to being fully functional.

One thing I could really use your help with: What did ford use for a floor shifter boot in 1953? Ours had a home-made leather job that had long since decayed, but I can't find ANYthing showing, much less selling, an OEM rubber or leather boot. We're not too keen on putting in something custom, but if there's a generic boot that will fit, we could go that route.

Once this one is done, my brother needs to get his 59' Chevy Apache done (been working on it since 1996, work halted since 2000), then I'll get my 54' Chevy 2100 done. My 53' Chevy 2100 is still getting around. Hopefully it'll keep going until I can park it, restore it, and use the 54' as the daily driver. This is all assuming we don't get any OTHER projects.....

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Here's something to start with:
    motor1.jpg motor2.jpg

I'm hoping to finish cleaning the engine and trany exterior tomorrow morning. Then all the covers come off and I'll finish flushing everything. I've got new gaskets on order and once the covers are back on, I'll wipe it all down and get some paint on it.
    I've been doing the dirty work (cleaning, blasting, painting) at our machine shop, and we're assembling the truck in my dad's garage.
    paint.jpg
    There's lots of "this" kind of stuff going on right now. Lots of details and loose ends. That's the transmission cover and the air tank (which mounts under the bed behind the driver).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    cpd682 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. 1953naegle

1953naegle

I'll add to that the stand the motor is on I built so we'd have a heavy duty motor cradle to work on our engines with. The generic motor stands are just so flimsy, especially with our heavy inline engines. I have plans to add appropriate dampeners and connections to the stand so that it can also be used as a test stand.

4. Everything sounds all too familiar.

5. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Progress! The engine and trany are grime free inside and out. Now I'm cleaning and media blasting the covers and pans, taping off holes, and otherwise prepping for paint.
    [​IMG]
    20171021_163648.jpg
    20171021_163702.jpg
    headers.jpg

Headers and carb are also done and getting together.

6. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Here's the truck.
    20171021_175603.jpg 20171021_175548.jpg 20171021_175940.jpg
    Here's the dash. Ultimately I want to make all the additions to it look less "additional." I'm thinking a piece of sheet metal painted grey to match the instrument cluster, with strategically placed mounting screws, will cover up the radio holes and act as a bezel for the clock (which has two random mounting screws that look out of place to me, I think it was part of a cluster in it's first life). My dad wants to put the trucks name on it somewhere (Ol' Mike, after the first owner), so the Dash insert could also give place for that.

40FORDPU and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

good luck with the doors and hood .

8. 1953naegle

1953naegle

20171027_193930.jpg 20171027_193942.jpg
    more progress...

Toms Dogs, charleyw and Ford52PU like this.
  9. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great thing you're doing for your dad, love this truck!

10. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

looks like a great job on the engine! Making your Father proud.

11. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Forgot to add: made a last minute decision against painting the block ALL red (obviously). Figured it would look less generic this way, no masking between components, and the black and red seemed to he the most common OEM color sceme.

My dad also told me the other day that this isn't the 2nd, but the 4th engine the truck has had. It's seen alot of miles in its time. One of the previous blocks was a flathead. Apparently, when Mike wasn't doing ranchwork in AZ, he was doing roadwork. This truck would drive with the graders with tanks of water spraying behind to keep the dust down.

Also, sorry about the picture links. I'm not the biggest fan of photobucket at the moment.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  12. 1953naegle

1953naegle

20171111_140531.jpg 20171111_140544.jpg 20171111_153739.jpg 20171111_153752.jpg
    Tight squeeze, but we got it in! I was stubborn and went for a lower mount for our lifting apparatus as opposed to pulling head bolts and having to re-torque them and touch up paint (kept the blanket over the motor to ward off chipped paint). I still need to put in one of the rear motor mount bolts, but otherwise It's secured to the truck.

I'm HOPING we can fire it up by Christmas. We're going to order a new gas tank (lots of rust shaking out of the old one), buy a battery, and get the radiator checked out. The socket on the bottom of the distributor that connects to the oil pump had a piece broken out of it, so I bought another one on Ebay as a doner. Otherwise it's just a matter of refinishing parts and assembly.

We have a new wiring harness now, but before It can go in, I still need to order all the rubber grommets and a firewall pad.

13. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Got another question for you guys:
    Does anyone know where I can get an original fan blade, or one that looks original? Our's had a newer style blade that looked out of place. All the 223's I've seen online show the fan blade being mounted to the water pump, but our's is on it's own belt and pulley independent of the water pump, and I am yet to see any other motors like this. I bought a used blade already that was supposed to be out of a 1954 Ford 223, but didn't match the pulley (possibly out of a passenger car?). I know 1954 was the first year for the 223. Is it really that much different from the later years?

Still looking for a shifter boot too....

14. 1953naegle

1953naegle

I think I just found my answer. Our fan blade configuration is the same as the original 1953 215 engine. I think they swapped it over to the 223 so that the fan blade would still be centered in the radiator shroud.

mitch 36 likes this.
  15. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

Nice! Thats looking good so far!

16. 1953naegle

1953naegle

More progress:

Found a fan blade. I don't know if it's an exact original 53' Ford, but it's period and looks much better than the one we had.

While getting the motor ready to run, I'm assembling the truck from the inside out. So I have the floor and firewall pads in place and am getting everything threaded through them.

The instrument cluster is in and I'm getting the dash wired. Found out that the ignition switch hole had been drilled out at one point so there are no detents to keep the switch body from turning. I'm fuming over that and wishing they had planned the dash's needs better before painting. I think I can make some kind of bezel to adapt the original switch to the modified hole. We'll see...

The battery box is together with a battery patiently waiting for the cables to be connected.

The drive line and speedo-cable are connected, and the transmission access panel is sealed up. Accelerator pedal and linkages are done.

New fuel tank is almost done being installed . Need to install one of the steel straps, clamp the filler neck in place, and install the sending unit and it'll be ready to hold fuel.

The steering column seems to be 1/2" off center, so I'm guessing it either needs to have the steering box shimmed out or something. That's holding me up from finishing the column/pedal access panel and with it the last of the flooring.

I'm getting the heater and vents rebuilt now too as they are going to be fairly "buried" in the dash assembly. This truck still has the original deluxe 4 knob system. It just needs new paint and seals.

The motor is down to getting the starter, generator, and radiator painted and hooked up. I'm making a "primer" tool to run the oil pump via electric drill, because I'm sure I rinsed a lot of oil out of internal places it's needed before we crank it. After all that, I'm hoping it'll run with minor tuning and we won't run into any major issues or set-backs. I'm not a fan of that Holly single barrel carburetor! It's so much more complicated than my old Rochester single barrel carbs. Guess I'm just biased.

2 Other uncertainties that I could use some direction (or a picture! Goggle's no help) How were the E-brake cable and dimmer switch wire routed through the firewall and pads? The dimmer switch fits into a big dent in the floor, I'm just not sure how the wire is routed to get to it. The E-brake cable comes inside at the top edge of the transmission access cover, but how it reaches over to the handle assemble doesn't seem straight forward. Mine seems too short to make the bend.

17. Progress so far is looking good for this old truck Sir. Keep up the work.

18. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Not alot of progress. Holidays and new babies have eat'n up alot of time.

We got the radiator in to find it leaked... so it got sent off and is back now ready for round 2.

We found ANOTHER error in the cabs body work. The rib that runs across the roof was welded in the wrong place. That was the last straw for me; we're doing more body work...

I'm going to strip the dash back down and get the engine, floor, and firewall finished up. With our time and what'not, I'm looking to see if we can outsource to a local body shop. We're confident in our sheet metal welding ability, but I'm more concerned with all the stray sparks and dust and what they'll do to what we've already finished, assembly wise. I figure body shops are more experienced keeping that stuff under control and they'll do a better job touching up the paint, and our time will be better spent sorting out the endless list of other details that still need to be addressed. If the body was still bare and in primer, it would be a different story.

We're pretty much looking to fix the roof rib, and put the dash back to being stock, which includes losing the radio and clock holes, correcting the ignition switch hole, and filling in a couple other random switch holes. Then, the clock and any other aftermarket items will be mounted on brackets cleanly under the dash.

19. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Been awhile....
    The old ford sat for awhile while life did it's thing. Now that it's old car season (something about autumn.... I dunno), we're back at it.

Mabey I'm a flake, but we gave up trying to fix the dash "correctly" via weld and repaint, and went back to the original plan to fix the issues individually in other ways (more on that later). I've been focusing more on all the tedious assembly details.

Tonight the gas tank assembly was finished and we made some progress with the steering columb and floor pedals. As of right now, they're all shifted over from where they would line up in the floorboard holes. We need to replace some bushings in the clutch pedal mechanism and I think we can adjust it over when we put it back together. The steering box I think just needs to be shimmed into place against the frame so it lines up with it's hole and the dash bracket.

We also have the first 2 rims refinished so they'll be getting new tires shortly and replacing the two back rims under the truck so they and the spair can get sand blasted and painted to go on the front (current front rims are extra beaters). I think the rims were originally the same cream color as the grill, but we went with gloss black as that's what they've been since we had the truck.

I also sorted out how the e brake cable routes along the firewall, but didn't leave enough of it exposed above the transmission cover, so I'll need to pull the cover and pull the slack out of the cable.

20. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Sorry for the lack of updates, but have made a bit of progress. I need to get some pictures, but we have a new OEM exhaust pipe installed (minus one clamp that I swear is sitting on a shelf somewhere, so haven't bought another yet). Big thanks to Waldron Exhaust for putting the kit together, as most of the old pipe was gone so we didn't have anything to reliably follow, and there are way more bends on this thing than I ever would have figured out on my own. The kit they built us was the OEM 53' F-100, but altered for the 54' engine (different exhaust manifold).

All five rims are refinished with new Bias Ply tires and tubes, and the caps are polished up and snapped on. My dad wanted tubes even though we could easily have gone tubeless, I think because he felt having that little bit of extra rubber might keep a thorn from pushing in, and it just makes it more period.

Still working though 1000 things putting the dash and firewall together.

Now that the frame is 99% done, we've started assembling the bed. I don't know where he found it, but my dad had some mahogany milled up for the bed boards. They were cut a little too thick though so they're making some trips through the plainer. I THINK we have all the hardware ready, so once the wood is ready it should come together. The only exception is that the new tailgate and the strip that caps off the tail end of the bed have not been painted yet (we're also going to stick with the galvanized finish on the strips). The only other pieces left to paint the body color are the defroster vent strip that goes bellow the windshield on the dash, the hood, and the doors. I might do the doors later but I'm going to paint the other pieces as a batch.

One hold up with that though is that the hood my dad bought new rather than patch up the old one, and he already found the old hood a new home before we could measure out where the emblems mounted (new hoods come without holes). I can't find anything online, so is there another 53' F-100 owner on here that kept the hood badge and scripts that wouldn't mind getting me some measurements? All I need are the edge of the hood to the edge of the side scripts, vertically and horizontally, and how far the bottom of the badge is from the bottom edge of the hood.

Jim Bouchard and 41fordor like this.
  21. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Why is there no pictures?I am fond of F100 Frank

22. spudshaft

spudshaft

Old thread that was photo bucketed I think.

23. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Sorry, I'll repost the pictures. Not sure what happened as I haven't used Photobucket for a loooong time.

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  24. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Ok, I fixed the links to the old pictures by uploading straight to this site (It's great that I'm still able to edit an old thread like this! Other forums I'm on you can't edit after a day or so...)

Here's a picture of the truck as it was before my dad tore it down for this restoration (my 53' Chevy behind it). The big dent in the front fender was my fault. When I was 3 or 4, my mom went to a school or church meeting and I asked my dad where she was. He told me and I said 'ok' and took off to go get her. When he realized I was gone, he started driving around to find me. He thought I had walked off into the woods around our place in California and he got too close to a tree. When my mom came home, she gave him some lumps and they called the police. I walked a little ways down the road before an older couple lured me in with a cookie and turned me in to the authorities. I remember that the cop who picked me up had a big beard and gave me a grape laughy-taffy. I also had it in my head that my name was 'Scott' for some reason, so the police gave may parents a hard time when they said I was 'Miles.' My parents laughed about it later, but I think dad was happy to finally get that dent fixed 25 years later.

Out of what you see in the photo, we're going to keep the spotlight, fender lights, and the grill guard. We removed the air horn and the roof lights and likely will keep them off. The air horn would be a little to close driving into the garage, and it's a little 'big' for the truck. If we put one back on it, it likely will go under the hood. At one time, my dad had the air horn, an ooga horn, a programable musical horn, and the generic steering wheel button horn. We're going to be a little more practical this time with the trucks noises. We're probably going to add the tie-down hooks back to the bed too once the new/old stake-side set is restored. It has a peek in the middle for a canvas tent cover that I want to have remade out of some khaki canvas.

The horseshoe on the grill guard has a story. Mike, the original owner, found it on the side of the road while doing some road work and desided to add it to the truck. When asked why he put it on upside down, he replied that his luck was going pretty good when he found it, and he wanted the luck to keep flowing (I guess the common superstition is to keep horseshoes with the open end on top, so your luck doesn't run out, but he seems to have done ok).
    53' ford f-100 dads.JPG
    My dad has a stack of pictures from the trucks first restoration that I'll add once they're scanned.

25. 1953naegle

1953naegle

20171219_230710.jpg
    Here's an updated shot of the interior. Biggest hurtles right now are getting the peddles and column lined up, the dash hole cover panel (which is starting to take shape), and wiring.... It seems every time I finish one connection, I find out that I have the wrong terminals for another or I need another component to connect. I'm also doubting that I have the polarities oriented correctly on the gauges, since this truck is positive ground and my cars are negative ground, so i want to double check that. I'll get more recent pictures as more parts have gone on since this.
    20171219_230724.jpg
    20171219_230735.jpg
    Here's more of the engine. Since this, we got the radiator in, but the re-cored radiator has ANOTHER hole!!! It looks like something was leaned up against it after assembly. I want to take a stab at soldering it before I pull it out AGAIN. After I found the hole, I went ahead and mounted the front bumper and grill guard and my mom taped a piece of foam over the radiator.

The rear bumper has had some work done too. It's a home-made wrap-around job that we ant to keep on the truck, but I'm welding up extra holes and smoothing it out. I want to set it in place and check that I didn't weld up a wrong hole before it gets painted.

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  26. 1953naegle

1953naegle

20211113_145606.jpg
    IMG_20211113_165741_697.jpg
    IMG_20211113_165741_724.jpg IMG_20211113_165741_819.jpg
    20211113_153420.jpg
    IMG_20211113_165741_645.jpg
    We had a productive Saturday. My brother, one of my dad's neighbors, and I met up and pulled the bed off, bolted all the strips and boards in, and got the assembly permanently bolted to the truck. The last bit will be the cover strip and the tailgate (after they are painted). The boards I finished with linseed oil. It of course needs to be reapplied annually, but I think it will be more durable, and less prone to scratch, and let the boards breath better (and is period too). Next I'm getting the fenders and step sides bolted on. The step-sides my dad had painted with rhino liner for extra durability and slip prevention.

I also got the original 'shield' taillights restored. One of the old lens has a small crack, but I can always replace that later. They have new gaskets, paint, sockets and wires. The new sockets ended up being too small to press into the old housings, so I made some reducer sleeves from brass shim stock and sanded the edges so there would be good contact. With the chassis mostly done and the bed/rear body coming together, I'm going to get the taillights wired and mounted. The truck had an old 6-wire trailer hitch plug which we want to keep and I'll get the wires run for it too. At one point, the truck had one of the old under-dash mounted slider trailer break controllers, but I found a 50's/60's vintage break controller that will go on instead. It's the style that clamps to the steering column with the lever bending up near the wheel. We don't plan to really 'work' the truck hard anymore, but I could see it pulling a few more trailers in the future. The current hitch is the style that bolts/welds to a flat bumper with no interchangeable receiver, so we'll put a 2" ball on it as that covers all of our current trailers.

Speaking of bumpers, I also plan to get a pair of YOM license plates. Texas is really easy to work with on this as as long as you have both matching plates to register, and they are in very good or restored shape, and the number isn't in current use, you can register them to a vehicle of the same year with no added cost or restrictions. You still need an annual registration sticker (and annual inspection), but they give you the option of putting the sticker on your windshield, or on a license plate topper. The hardest part in all this is finding a pair of plates that are not in use. The way I went about it on my 53' Chevy was that whenever I found a set for sale, I'd run the number through myplates.com (Texas' vanity plates service) to see if the number was available. Once you got them though, you'll need to get them registered soon to keep the number from being reassigned to a regular plate somewhere else.

Toms Dogs, Randall and Jim Bouchard like this.
  27. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Nice truck as well as helping your dad out. :cool::cool:

28. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Thanks! I've seen that style of boot, but it looks like it was only used on the F-1 trucks up to 52', but I might get one and see how it looks. When I put the floor mat in, it made a pretty clean joint around the shifter socket, but something to keep dust out would be nice.

29. 1953naegle

1953naegle

This project is still ongoing. Slow and steady and whatnot.

I'll post some of the progress later, but we lost my dad this last July. It was a good thing though as he had been struggling with Parkinsons and some dementia. It was always frustrating working on the truck feeling like we should have finished it years ago or planned it out better, and my Dad and I wanted to work on it together, but his mental deterioration, and unawareness of his limitations made it impossible. I miss him terribly, but also feel like we can finally work on it together now that he has his mind back. Right up to the end he never gave up his drive to "go to work", and I got to be his hands when I took on this project, and even more so now that he's on the other side.

He's taught me to know your limits, so one thing I've done is offloaded the remaining body paint to be done to a coworker who's really good with it. He's helping to get the hood, doors, tailgate, and a couple trim pieces done so I can focus more on assembly and the detail stuff.