Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Are your parts really for sale?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Are you sure about that? While that might be technically true, it's my understanding I could be wrong, a buyer technically has up to a year to claim "item not as described" and file for a refund.

2. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Bump...

-Brent- likes this.
  3. Anderson

Anderson

From eBay’s buyers protection page:
    “If you have a problem with a purchase, your first step is to open a case with the seller to resolve the problem. Most issues get resolved with direct contact between buyer and seller. If the seller doesn't respond, or if you can't come to an agreement, escalate your case in the Resolution Center within 30 days of actual or estimated delivery date.”

So long as you’ve represented your item properly which I try to do as best as I can with as many pictures possible. You might get some jerk eventually, but I’ve never had an issue.

BigDogSS, 210superair and Squablow like this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Top left of the page, little black flag with three boxes on it. Click on it, a drop down menu drops out, click on new posts. Gives you everything new since your last visit.

daylatedollarshort likes this.
  5. Okay, thanks that opens up a whole new world, I was just enjoying the 5 that were displayed. I really should likely read some of the tutorials, for the whole hamb experience. I appreciate your help.

RodStRace, 210superair and Blues4U like this.
  6. Yeah I started a thread on Mike's posts in the classifieds, I've bought stuff from him, kinda hate to, because his bumps are interesting :cool: my thread got kicked out :oops: :p

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  7. chubbie

chubbie

I've sold alot of stuff on the HAMB. It's sometimes hard to price stuff not knowing what stuff is worth. Sometimes your looking for that one guy that needs that part, he can be hard to find. I listed a part and 5 guys said they would take it in just minutes. 1st guy gets it and i asked what it was worth and he said i was way under the money. Well thats the deal i offered and i sent it to him and he sent me a bonus. I did have a Man a Fre intake complete, NOS listed for 5K... It just may have been the only one in the world. years later i get asked if i still have it, took an offer and sold it maybe should of held out and kept bumping the listing with humor

8. So is your El Camino holy grail find/sale an example ?

9. I don't guess I understand what you mean by that? Apparently you'll have to dumb it down for me. I can tell you that I paid less for my El Camino than a 32 Ford grille shell costs. And it was in the classifieds here.

Blues4U likes this.
  10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done ok ( for myself and I hope the members) but we all have our own "herd immunity" to seeing the usual suspects in the classifieds. We are as cyclical as market trends in our own right. Actual sales action is mostly among membership, no? An outsider might find something thru a net search but it's not a wide open venue. Just throwing in some logical perspective. I've had parts on here that went the same day, some that never went, some I said screw it and kept (and glad). Cars? Tough call. I figure the odds of a member buying are slim but we are NOT the only car folks we know and maybe a member's pal gets told of it. It helps. I had the 47 Caddy conv here for 2 years. 1 guy asked about it. Out of frustration I put it on IG and it sold in 3 days. Action was nonstop. I guess I priced it right after all.

Now, if want to bitch about a for sale venue I could name one attached to a huge car club but I won't name it. Stuff there is in the roach motel. I think it's just a picture post place, or the Sears Christmas catalog for dreamers. Unless it's a seriously under priced car or part you see shit that's been there for a long time. Some of you know where I mean, but by comparison I've done real well here vs there. But 1 thing, every interaction with stuff sold here has been friendly, polite, fun, fair, everything you hope for whether I've bought or sold. Raise your glass or coffee cup to yourselves HAMB brethren, few and far or right away, I'd bet a finned aluminum valve cover the interaction will be as good or better than you hoped. Worth the wait. Cheers...

11. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

I have had a few parts for sale on here for awhile, 3 times people have contacted me wanting to buy and never paid.

12. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

Yeah, I'll take my flogging, I've been that guy also:(. I contacted a hamber about some merch and shipping cost.... he sent me an amount. In the middle of it all I totally forgot, and days went by.So needless to say, when I contacted him back the seller was unhappy with my stupidity and would not sell me the items. Sometimes I mess up.

Just trying to say that not all of the jerking around is intentional.

210superair and Beanscoot like this.
  13. I was sitting in the waiting room at the cancer center with my wife, surfing the classifieds. Seen something i wanted. Contacted the guy, got the info needed. Well, i don't take care of that stuff, my wife does the PayPal stuff. Let's just say that things went south at the doctor visit with her oncologist. I truly didn't give a fuck about cars for a couple of weeks. When I did get back around to it, the guy told me that I didn't carry through with my part of the deal. Wasn't even worth trying to explain the situation.

14. 5window

5window

Good post. I can see his point-and yours.too. There's often a story behind the story.

15. This thread reminded me that I have a dual quad setup I need to list for my dad. Came off his 56 Chevy

-Brent- likes this.
  16. phat rat

phat rat

Lloyd's paint & glass and pigiron. The guy must not have wanted to sell too bad or he wouldn't have backed away. Things sometimes happen beyond our control or we get busy and forget. As long as a guy hasn't committed what's the harm. I've had many guys contact me for shipping cost and never hear from them again. I would appreciate a return message but!

210superair likes this.
  17. -Brent-

-Brent-

18. Lol that would be hilarious. I'm not complaining, so much as wondering what it takes for reality to set in. I've seen some items with 8 pages of bumps. I give up on a shit within 3 minutes lol

210superair, 427 sleeper and -Brent- like this.
  19. I did take somebody's advice, I went through and hit the ignore button on a bunch of them ;)

210superair and -Brent- like this.
  20. -Brent-

-Brent-

As someone whose been in sales since elementary school (no exaggeration) sometimes you have to soldier on and keep putting the item out there for it to be sold.

We aren't dealing with commodities.

There are parts for sale that only one guy has been looking for. I've been that one guy, at times, and I've sold to that "one guy" at others.

But really, if I am not the guy for the part, I usually skip the ad and move on.

21. phat rat

phat rat

I feel the same way. But you're forgetting that many on here are experts at everything so they know how it should be.

williebill and -Brent- like this.
  22. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I have a buddy that has a garage full of good and not so good parts. He sells stuff but it’s usually at some astronomical price. He told me he was going to start liquidating. He must have a dozen SBF C4 transmissions, said he wants 300.00 a piece for them. I said take a zero off and you may sell them. I will say though, he had a 289 hipo out of a 66 Shelby that he held on to for probably 40 years and finally sold it for big bucks to the guy that found the car it came out of!

Budget36 likes this.
  23. 5window

5window

It takes quite a person to look at what they've collected and sell it for true value and not the platinum it has become in their head.

Hutkikz, safetythird and 210superair like this.
  24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

There is usually nothing I am needing in the classified and lucky I have a old junkyard near by that usually has what I need.

25. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I do the same. If I see a member in the new posts that is constantly bumping for sale posts, but rarely has other input on here, I add them to the ignore list.

On the guy whose wife had cancer, I've had something like that on an upright bass. Guy contacted me all hot to trot, then disappeared. A few weeks late he reached out still wanting it and I told him to kick rocks. He explained a very similar family situation that had come up, and I simmered down and he did end up with the bass, and turned out to be a hell of a nice guy. If you'd have explained the situation, I'd like to think that seller was human being enough to understand, but who knows. Lotta anger out there nowadays....

26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a similar situation right now. I've got some '54 Ford parts that a guy wants. He's tried to make the drive to pick them up a couple of times but family issues have gotten in the way. I know he feels bad about the delay and he offered to send me the money. But he's helped me out with parts and advice in the past so I know he's good for the parts. And at some point will connect.

27. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I appreciate the feature...however I have never posted anything here because I am perplexed by the seeming inability to delete the ad....every time I search the classified I have to weed through tons of sold sold sold...I'm a get in and get out kinda guy the very first thing on my mind after I sell something is deleting that ad!!
    That being said I just recently attempted my first buy from the hamb classifieds and am currently several days in... anxiously awaiting my cross border shipped item...wish me luck!
    *edit: got it! everything went great...despite massive flooding in my area...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    5window likes this.
  28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It looks like to me that most trying to sell parts is hoping to find that person who just has to have it and will give big bucks to get it instead of just wanting to sell it and get it out of the way,its everywhere just not on here but to me 75 percent that is on here is way over priced.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  29. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think we're encourged to mark items as sold and leave the ad alone. The old ads become a collective record that helps others with value, scarcity, even just showing what certain parts look like.

I know for a fact Ryan feels this way about car ads (it's come up in other threads). So it wouldn't surpise me if that thinking extends to parts ads.

Of course, anyone can effectively delete their ad using the edit features--just erase the title and message.

Moriarity and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  30. I just wish people would actually read the ads...and I write them in the Queen's English so they don't get confused.
    After listing the dimensions, part number, condition, etc, the first question is "What size is it?", then, "what's the part number?'". Sometimes I have written at the end of a comprehensive description " If you have read down this far, you can have this for $X off". Usually on non-car related items. After many ads, I only had 1 person ask me about it, and I said that it was good to meet someone who can read and comprehend these days, and gave it to them for the cheaper price.

Blues4U and RMR&C like this.