Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a Brookville roadster pickup? Update: NO. Now building 1929 roadbriolet/cabrioster pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6990.JPG
    Other side done.:)
    FedEx says still coming by end of day Saturday.:mad:
    Checked credit card on-line and tire america apparently charged me twice!:eek:
    But, both charges are still pending:rolleyes:. We'll see if they validate both.:eek:
    Did I tell you it seems like I'm dealing with idiots?!:D:D

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6994.JPG
    The tires arrived less than 15 minutes before my tire shop closed so they will be there shortly after they open on Monday. I did have time to call and warn them I was coming!;):D
    Ringer did a quick inspections and found no obvious flaws.;)
    Sanded more on the bed and primed it some more.
    Exciting stuff!:D:D

3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Earlier we were talking about paint booths. A pal bought what looks like an inflatable booth. I'll get some pictures and pricing but it seems Bill found a relatively cheap creative solution earlier in this thread.

dwollam, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. All tires must be Ringer approved.:D;)..........God bless dogs.

seadog, Blues4U, hotrodjack33 and 5 others like this.
  5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Probably smelled the ice cream Al dripped on them.:D

6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^How did you know?!:D:D

7. He’s getting ready to add to his territory. Wait until they’re mounted on the car, Ringer.

8. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Al, just a note . Since my bed and tailgate is custom fabricated I had to graft in the Ford logo. Looks the same as yours tailgate logo.JPG

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Wow! Y'all did a great job... I think Brookville did mine.;):D

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe Al should "mark" them first:eek:;)

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_6999 (2).JPG
    We got front tires! I think there is about a 6" difference in the diameters of the tires; giving a net 3" rubber rake if my thinking is correct.:rolleyes::D
    Also got some new material for my temporary seating... now I have a softer place for a potential passenger to sit.;)
    Of course, nobody has asked for a ride:eek: thus far!!:D:D
    While fooling with the front wheels, I noticed that the steering components might have an issue or two:eek: so I tightened the main linkage bolts... want to check that out a bit further before I go very far... or very fast!!;):D
    PS Jack, I mark a lot of things with ice cream but mostly clothes!!:D

brEad, The 39 guy, dwollam and 8 others like this.
  12. WOW! Starting to look like a hot rod now. Didn't notice the '36 Ford headlights before . That is what they are, right?:)

Hamtown Al and loudbang like this.
  13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

'36 Ford headlights they be... just like on my cabriolet that was driven to LARS in 2016 and on my pickup, the 36 Fordy.;) Some pals are trying to get me to switch to smaller headlights but these are what came on the car and were already sealed and wired. I might change them to look like everybody else's headlights but what's the fun in that?!:D
    IMG_2874.JPG
    Both of them have parking lights and turn signals in the headlights. The '29 cabrioster has some amber LEDs in them for turn signals only but I haven't managed to get the turn signals to blink... yet!:D I'm going to have to research and untangle:eek: a bunch of wiring done before I got it. Or I could just replace the innards with the kit from Bob Drake like I used on the '36 Fordy. Opportunities!:D
    I'm gonna focus on those steering issues before I get too worried about turn signals.;):D

14. Love the '36 headlights. I would keep them, but then it's all your decision.........Don.

loudbang, hotrodjack33 and Hamtown Al like this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

No worries on the headlights Al, I haven’t paid attention to them since going braless went out of style. ;)

Alrighty now. Back to Al’s build:)

Hamtown Al, loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Al, let me pick your brain on '36 headlights.
    Both myself, and a fellow club member with a 36 5 window HATE our headlights:mad:. We're both converted to halogens, but have to run on hi-beams all the time, and even then, lighting is only marginal. When on lo-beam, you might as well have no headlights at all:eek:
    Is there a "trick" to running '36 headlights, or do they inherently just suck because of the lense design?:(

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Jack, I've had that trouble in the past but I think it is because you are using halogen bulbs but still using the original reflectors. It might be my imagination but using the reflectors that comes with the Bob Drake kit seems to work better. I think that kit came on my 36 cabriolet as the headlights work quite well. The pickup truck headlights are not nearly as effective. Your car has the turn signals behind the horn grilles and I don't remember what the headlights had for reflectors... as usually happens, I used what came with the car... and I don't think I ever drove it at night!:D
    I keep thinking I'll spring for a whole new kit that will hopefully solve the issue. You might contact Bob Drake and ask about their reflectors that come with their kit.
    Good luck,
    Al

18. I have used the Drake, new design reflectors on both '34 and '35-37 lights. They help tremendously. On both sets I cut a hole with a spade bit to install the turn/parking light in the reflector.
    Unfortunately, I have not been able to see the new design reflectors on the Drake website recently.

19. More unsolicited advice. :) Your neat little hot rod is deserving of cool hot rod headlights. Something like Arrow 775's on Offie stands instead of those grandpa '36 lights and set 'em back by grille instead of sticking out like frog eyes.

My daughter has the Drake halogen light and reflector kit on her '36. Really made the lights effective compared to stock reflectors.

hotrodjack33, Hamtown Al and pprather like this.
  20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys, thanks for the responses:D.

It appears the Bob Drake reflectors are no longer available:( ...and the reviews on the Vintique reflectors (which I think I have already) are not too good.
    But I saw this on the HAMB...
    Technical - 1936 ford sealed beam conversion help | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com)

The idea of having 2 lenses sounds kinda stupid, but I have to try something to improve the headlights...without losing the '36 buckets/lenses.

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry Al that I temporarily hi-jacked your thread:eek:...now back to our regularly scheduled program...er... I mean opportunities;).

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Jack, no problem... we're all just trying to learn and share ideas.;):)
    IMG_7004.JPG
    Backed it outside for a profile shot... of course, it is still sitting on my angled driveway!!:D
    IMG_7006.JPG
    Another angle. I've since painted this side of the bed. Not perfect but still an improvement... in my eyes!:eek::D
    I wonder if 50 Merc caps will fit this thing? Would add some bling but I like the raw hot rod look that comes from having less bling.;):) We will talk later.;):D
    Looks like the painter missed those front frame horns!:eek::D
    Workin' Al

brEad, dwollam, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  23. I'm liking the way this is shaping up.:)

loudbang, Hamtown Al and hotrodjack33 like this.
  24. Al, in my book the wheel and tire change is a 100% improvement! Looks like a real hot rod to me. Keep up the good work.

25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You sure have a knack for making a hot rod look real sinister:D:D:D:D.

26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_7009.JPG
    Thanks for the kind words... I do what I can while having fun... most of the time!!:D:D
    Hopefully, y'all can tell that the bed has been painted gloss black. I also fogged some black primer on that aluminum radiator to take some of the glare off it.;) I painted one front frame horn but no pic... sorry.

27. 50 Merc caps only fit 50 Merc wheels, in addition to a few early 50's pickup wheels, I think.

loudbang, sidevalve8ba and Hamtown Al like this.
  28. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Al, if you have some in your stash, throw some chrome lug nuts on it and see how it looks. I think it needs a little bling.:D

29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Chrome lug nuts? Me? Ya must be jokin'!!:D:D
    IMG_7010.JPG
    Guess what happens when you fire it up when pine straw is falling?:eek::D
    IMG_7012.JPG
    Took it for a spin around TWO blocks!;):D
    Note that the frame horns have turned black.;):)
    I also trimmed the plastic that goes around the floor shifter to fit and installed the shifter cover; complete with sexy rubber boot.;):D No picture because didn't want Jack to get too excited!:eek::D:D
    I better get a fire extinguisher for this thing, too.;):eek::D
    Blowing the pine straw around was very impressive!:D

30. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

In my trip yesterday, I heard a bump now and then from the rear... along with a lot of other stuff you "hear" on those early test runs!:D
    IMG_7014.JPG
    I think I found the bump from the rear. I had trimmed the inside of the bracket for clearance but overlooked a rib in the third member.:eek: It should clear now.;):)
    IMG_7015.JPG
    I also trimmed the gas line and rerouted the shorter line to be secure and added some heater hose over the gas line to prevent any future chafing/leaks.;) Obviously, I hadn't started my practice of painting the chassis first before installing new components when the fuel pump was added.:eek::D
    Got a club meeting tonight next door and I'm sure some will trek over to see what I've been doing so I'm gonna try to clean the place up at least some!:D I'm even putting tools away!:D