Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ugliest Custom(no K)???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by safariknut, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Going thru some old stuff yesterday and came up with this one.How far we've come!

2. StylinDylan

StylinDylan

DAMN! it's not even that low either!

Dylan

3. I hope Butchie forgives me for posting this one.In front of his shop in the early 70's.The 34 he just sold last year after owning it for nearly 30 years.

4. tinyelvis

tinyelvis

OUCH! MAN that thing is UUUU-GLY!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Look at all the useful space the Merc owner wasted--there's EASILY enough space there for two more of everything!

6. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

They coulda put at least two more headlights and two more fins! Why not make it a dually, since they were doubling everything?

ICK!!!

7. Machinos

Machinos

That reminds me of those drawings in the Kanter Auto Parts catalogue...except those are amusing, this one's just...upsetting

8. DrJ

DrJ

I wonder... Is it a trend?
    That metalflake T-bird with similar idea four tail lights that came out of a garage a couple years ago comes to mind.
    No I didn't waste any film on it, so I can't show and tell...

I vaguely remember seeing pictures of that '55 Merc
    Was it by chance a East coast car?
    (Continental kits were more popular there is my hint...)

I'd like to see some more shots of that pot belly pig on wheels in the middle of the other shot, that looks like FUN!
    (Drug induced concept?)

9. [ QUOTE ]
    I wonder... Is it a trend?
    That metalflake T-bird with similar idea four tail lights that came out of a garage a couple years ago comes to mind.
    No I didn't waste any film on it, so I can't show and tell...

I vaguely remember seeing pictures of that '55 Merc
    Was it by chance a East coast car?
    (Continental kits were more popular there is my hint...)

I'd like to see some more shots of that pot belly pig on wheels in the middle of the other shot, that looks like FUN!
    (Drug induced concept?)

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah Doc that was an east coast car;from New Jersey if I remember right.
    The other pic was taken in front of a friend of mine that I went to school with and we are still friends! The Great Pumpkin is still in a garage in Billerica MA( at least it was 10 years ago and I don't think it has moved).I have no idea who owned the VW with the 40 Ford nose or it's whereabouts. I'll call Butchie and see if he has any more pics of it.He did the glass work on it.
    Ray

10. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

That last one looks like a crime-fighting vehicle for The Tick.

11. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Man, I REALLY want to add a third fin on the back, but the darn conti kit is in the way....hey, I know....I'll just stick it on there off to one side....yeah, that looks sharp! The chicks are gonna dig me now!

12. It really has four rear fins. In the first pic the rear quarter hides it. If you look at the second pic, you can see it.

13. raven

raven

Now that's a Homer-mo-bile...

14. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

No prob...I found the perfect solution!

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Damn man, it's 1:45 p.m and I know I haven't been drinking, but I swear I'm seeing double.

Cleatus yer' killing me.

16. DrJ

DrJ

Here's another classic love it or hate it car. It was featured in the December '61 R&C if you'r looking for info.
    [​IMG]

That's probably the most flattering shot I've ever seen of it too....

(Stolen from; http://www.museumoftransport.org/roads-2.htm )

17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Not so much "The Shape of Things to Come" as much as "Come to the Shape of Things."

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

Cars like that are to easy and to obvious to pick on.
    The worst crime ever commited by a customiser was the rehash of the Chrisman Coupe, not somuch because of the end result, but because that car was so perfect in its original form...
    Fortunately it got brought back to its former glory.

19. haring

haring

Go big or go home, I say ...

[​IMG]

20. Those double headlights make my eyes hurt [​IMG]

21. Don,

That's fucking perfect!

Who's gonna build it?

22. </font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />
    Here's another classic love it or hate it car. It was featured in the December '61 R&amp;C if you'r looking for info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the design of it got a bit carried away... BUT this car, The Di Dia 500 was designed early (if I remember right it was in 1954) and built by ClarKaiser with superior workmanship. To build it took 6 1/2 years, and did cost $150.000. The body is aluminum over a tube frame, all windows special made and so on. Red pearl paint in 30 coats...
    About the look: Not a traditional custom, more of a dream car and very futuristic to be drawn in 54. The front looks OK and the fender cut-a-way do match the grille nice. (. Though, the upward pointing part of the rear is not that pretty (maybe with Buck Rogers eyes?). And when it was finished fins were already out of fashion...

About the four eyed Merc: Plain ugly. Not a custom as I see it, only a car with a lot of parts added (seen it before in an old Custom Cars Annual and I know its not a Californian custom...)

Attached Files:

23. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Haring, that looks like something the marines would use to assault the beach. [​IMG]

As for the 40 Ford/VW, those used to be pretty popular kits. There was a company that made the 40 front end and the ever popular Rolls Royce front end. I wanted to stick a willys front on one and make it a Stone Woods &amp; Cooke/ baby brother gasser. Just no way to stuff big tires in the back tho... [​IMG]

And that last custom reminds me of when we used to bottom fish off the back of the ship when I was in the NAVY:
    Hey guys, what the hell is this thing.
    Damned if I know, ugly bastard, 'spose it's edible?
    Nothing that looks like that could possibly be edible.
    Throw it back...Kill it first...One of those is enough! [​IMG]

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I want to see the effed up version of the Chrisman car. I think I may have seen it in hotwheel form or some Johnny lightning SURF ROD? Looked like the Chrisman A only with differnet paint and wheelpants I think?

25. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    I want to see the effed up version of the Chrisman car. I think I may have seen it in hotwheel form or some Johnny lightning SURF ROD? Looked like the Chrisman A only with differnet paint and wheelpants I think?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it, gull wing doors and "streamlined" fairings behind the wheels.

26. Here it is Grimlok, the hammered up version Barris did that was used on an episode of 'The many loves of Dobie Gillis'

27. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

RPW, in IMHO, the Di Dia is not so much a 'dream car' as it is a 'bad dream car.'

28. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Slow day on the Hokey Ass Message Board, guys?

Jim

29. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

[ QUOTE ]
    Go big or go home, I say ...

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, you made my day! [​IMG]