Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 28 MODEL A ROADSTER, A BANGER POWERED PROJECT

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by general gow, Oct 23, 2020.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

You know how sometimes you find that weird part that you need even though you didn’t know it before you found it? Well, I have several of those things kicking around, and one day a year or so ago, they gelled in my brain as parts of the same car. I had a really cool Model A frame that I got years ago from my buddy @Preacher (RIP Eric, miss you, buddy) that has a Tardel style step, and filled frame horns. I also had a spare rough 34 x-member. One day at a swap meet I got a pair of cool 7.50x19 Lincoln tires from my buddy @adam401. And, I had the B motor out of the Sachem Model T TROG racer and a super nice B trans.

There’s a lot more, but I am sure you can see where this is headed. I’d been working on putting the 34 X in the A frame for a while this summer when my buddy @Pete decided to let go of a collection of 28 roadster parts that he’d collected a long time ago. I wasn’t planning to have to build a body this time around. I had foolishly convinced myself that I’d just wait for a nice complete body to come around. Of course, those things never really materialize until you’ve blown all your money on a pile of parts. So, I blew all my money on a pile of parts. And I’ve been plugging away at making that pile into a proper hot rod. Initial photo dump of the process so far follows. More to come as progress is made.

2. Budget36

Budget36

Nice pile-o-parts!

OFT and CGkidd like this.
  3. I see some really nice speed equipment for that A! You will get up some serious speed-awesome!!! keep us posted.

Mike

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

5. Get on it and get on it! That's gonna be fun!

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

the body parts as when Pete dropped them off:
    working on the heavy rear crossmember i got from my buddy Mike. it was for a sedan, so i had to reshape it a little bit:

cleaning up the cowl feet, and straightening the A pillars:

cowl coming together. i am using 1x3 rectangular tubing for the main subrails:

mocking up the rear half, and picked up a decent decklid. it revealed to me that i have a coupe panel below the decklid. so i need to get one for a roadster. they are about 1 1/2 inches taller:

cleaning up windshield posts:

i might try my hand at nickel plating with the posts. i just need to find a bath big enough for the windshield frame. no pics of that yet, but it's pretty nice.

one thing i do need is a nice driver side inner door. or a nice pair of inner doors. or a nice pair of doors. or new brookville doors. i'm not picky. i just want to work with nice stuff. i think i'll turn my attention to chassis assembly while i work out how to handle my door problems and track down parts.

Carter, Stogy, -Brent- and 10 others like this.
  7. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Nice Mark!!! That's a good start. I was drooling at Pete's stash of roadster stuff when I was building mine, he sold me a pair of quarters.

Stogy likes this.
  8. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Subscribed! I have a pile of parts too! Almost enough for a roadster pickup!

Stogy likes this.
  9. adam401

adam401

Looks like a great start Mark! Exciting stuff I'll be looking forward to the updates.

Stogy likes this.
  10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I got sick of looking at those tires in the corner, so I decided I had to build a car for them. Ha!

11. JB401

JB401

I’m looking forward to this build and will be following along

Stogy likes this.
  12. 51box

51box
    from MA

Very nice!

Stogy likes this.
  13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

glad to see another A project on these pages...
    … go gow go !

Stogy likes this.
  14. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bangers Rule! The most money you can spend to go slow....you will live forever
    Subscribed

Stogy and Smjacob like this.
  15. Always glad to see another banger build on the HAMB!

Stogy, Smjacob and winduptoy like this.
  16. cball

cball

nice work Mark, been awhile since I have been on here, feeling reminiscent!

Stogy and general gow like this.
  17. Smjacob

Smjacob

Looks great so far. Can’t wait for more updates.

Stogy likes this.
  18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Man I really let this thread go. I also kinda let the project go for a while too. But I am back on it with a fierce vengeance. Been collecting parts and doing some work. Ready to do another deep dive so I can be driving it next summer. Got some new doors and other small parts on order with @cball at Millworks. Got a nice hood and radiator in NH from my new buddy Tebo Barn. Got a new pair of front tires from him too. Some fiddly small parts finally showed up for the chassis, and I think I have everything I need to make it a roller, and then I can swing the engine and trans in and finish up the engine mount arrangment. So watch here for some more progress in the near future.
    4A714CE0-4B42-4207-8E67-91CE6CFE90E6.jpeg EFEDC055-B499-4CFE-AFCA-8D2140409947.jpeg 5F5D1A5E-9B0F-4364-B117-77DE270AF062.jpeg

19. hoop

hoop

Nice work.Looks great.

Jeff34, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

21. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Watching this thread - I have almost completed my house build but in the meantime collected a few more parts for my 4 Banger Coupe ,Thomas head, Equaliser manifold,cast Y exhaust manifolds a rebuilt 32 engine and a 32 gearbox with 39 internals .It might not fly like a V8 ,but it will certainly sound good.

general gow, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    wheeldog57, Jeff34 and brady1929 like this.
  23. lilmo630

lilmo630

Nice work..I will be watching