Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects WHEN BUILD THREADS "GO COLD" - What not to do

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Instagram killed a lot of it. I barely spend any time there

loudbang likes this.
  2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That's too bad Blues4U. Do you think if many of us started posting questions on the donor's thread or the kid's thread inquiring about the status that something might give? If so I will post a query.

I hope your nephew finds other outlets for his automotive interests. Good on you for trying to help.
    My own Anglia build was supposed to involve my grandkids but distance and other interests they developed prevented them from helping much. Nevertheless I persist.

3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I don't know, it might, but I kind of doubt it. I don't recall the name of the thread, and I think it got changed too, because it originally referenced HAMB Andy, and some people didn't like that. Not sure what to look for. My nephew has definitely moved on with other projects since then. But I'm sure somebody would enjoy taking it over.

loudbang likes this.
  4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

THANKS!

ANd yeah, though I stopped work on my 29 AAV8 truck build to focus on the T build, I also picked up ANOTHER 26/27 T touring build with @justa170 that I am doing a lot of work on in my driveway presently.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ered-27-t-shortened-touring-basurati.1247107/

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Agreed. I try and make sure I close mine out.

6. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I don't know how you guys with multiple builds going do it. Just 1 is taxing me. And while I threw a trailer refresh in the mix this summer (still unfinished), that only requires paint and wiring now and I still haven't gotten it done and out of the garage so I can focus on the Whatever project.

And Marty Strode has how many going on right now?.. Sheesh it's overwhelming sometimes

7. pila38

pila38

Guilty.
    I moved, then started my own business, and have three kids in elementary school. Life is just busy and when I do get free time, its at night, and its easy to get lazy and stay on the couch. I have been trying to make more time to get out to the garage and have made some progress, but haven’t updated my thread in a looonnngg time. Any time I spend taking pictures and posting them here, eats at what little time I would have to actually get something done.

31 B'ville and alanp561 like this.
  8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't follow anyone on here but I do check to see what interesting things you and several others have been been up to.

Paul likes this.
  9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know about your shop but if it's anything like mine, it's cramped. Comparing either one to @Marty Strode 's place of business is like comparing a cardboard box to a factory with multiple work stations and every tool imaginable.

10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[QUOTE="gene-koning, post: 14261970, member: 289026"
    Then there are the real builders, the guys that really do things to perfection, a level I'll never reach, nor maybe one I may ever feel a need to reach. I build drivers on a budget, not show rods. When anything I could build doesn't come near their quality, its discouraging at best. Why would I want to open myself up for comparison against the great builders?
    Making a build thread is a bunch of time consuming work in addition to the actual build. I will take my efforts to places where I might be able to help someone else move their project along, and that place isn't here. Gene[/QUOTE]

Dude, If I can get my current project, a 27 T roadster, anywhere close to the level of what you've done, I'll be a happy camper.

Budget36 likes this.
  11. safetythird

safetythird

Honestly, I've never been clear on what makes something a traditional custom, despite the pictures posted in the section thereof.

My car is going to be mostly stocked, possibly lowered and custom paint. I assumed my build would just get booted, so I've never bothered to post it.

A shame too, as I figure I might get helpful tips, and maybe someone local would like to work on stuff together. Hard to do everything solo.

Stock Racer likes this.
  12. Okay, the word custom in this sense refers to body modifications first and foremost. Lots of other things can be altered and modified such as driveline, interior and suspension, but unless modified bodywork is involved it's not really a 'custom.'

safetythird likes this.
  13. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

That is what happen to my build thread.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  14. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I’m in the middle of a Shit Storm! My dad passed early last year and my stepmom unfortunately decided that it was best for her to move close to her daughter in North Carolina. So my wife and I had to move every possession that my father had into my shop and my garage. My father, being a child of the Depression, never threw anything away, and all of his treasures are now stuffed into my shop! I also, didn’t fall far from the tree, so I am just as bad. For 30 years selling tools I was offered deals on stuff, too good to pass up, or as my wife says, I suffer from “Good Deal-Itis”! I agonize over the stuff that I have sold, especially when I need it now! A buddy of mine says I also suffer from separation anxiety. Probably. So instead of working on my Bonneville race car, or my 37/38 Gasser, or what ever else fun thing I could be working on and then posting updates about, I’ve been working on my shit storm and getting my shop and garage organized and cleaned up.
    2A3FFBEF-AAA5-45BB-8808-E2ED432056AF.jpeg
    As I’m going thru my dad’s stuff or mine, I have three piles….
    Keep… Sell… Trash…
    I’m hoping that by early next year I’ll be able to finally work on my projects without the guilty feeling I should be doing something else, cuz that ain’t quality shop time!
    Update over till next time,

15. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I started a build thread about installing a fog lamp flush in the grille of my 37 Tudor. Honestly, there were a lot of guys who started off saying it would look like crap. Many changed their mind as the project moved along. I'm satisfied with the result, and because I'm computer challenged, it's hard for me to post . It's easier to just do my stuff and not try to make a "how I did it".

Budget36 likes this.
  16. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Sorry about your dad. Just remember all of the good times, it helps.

And, WOW! That's a lot of stuff in a 5 pound bag. You are to be commended as a master stasher! I will never have 1-that big of a shop, and 2-ever be that organized, even tho you call it a shit storm.

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dave, when you have been in business 45 years, with multiple projects at the same time, the only difference is taking pictures and documenting the progress. Well, my morning ritual of brushing the big shop cat, and feeding the quail, I am going to finish my '40 chassis today, and send it out for powdercoat.

Graham08 likes this.
  18. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I just wish Marty would let us know more about what he’s working on. I saw the Rare-Vair at SEMA and if I had known that it was the one Marty had in the background of some of his shop pictures I would have looked a lot closer at it. What I did see was very nice, but when you’re trying to see it all you have to move on a lot.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Yeah, Lonnie had a good time displaying the Corvair, and it's featured in the current issue of Modern Rodding. Thanks for the interest in my projects.

SilverJimmy likes this.
  20. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Hi Marty. 45 years! Wow! I was a little flighty. Millwright, followed by college followed by blowing things up at a research firm followed by 8 years employed by federal government followed by the longest stretch 22 years employed by state government. Notice the choice of words there, I try not to lie...

So question: is Modern Rodding a west coast magazine? I've never seen it here in the northeast.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dave, it's a world wide publication, available in print and digital.

22. Ok, here is my take on build threads since I have been here over 20 years.

From the HRD/Big blue car/Autohaulics days of the late 90s when this board saw its first big growth spurt we did not typically do build threads. Those seemed to get their start and pick up steam in the mid 00s. Many of us then were in our 20s/30s/40s which puts us in our 40s, 50s, and 60s now. Our prime earning years when many folks are also raising families. So, back to the aughts, many of us were still rather unencumbered, and able to spend tons of time in the shop building. hen, family and careers hit. Personally for me, the last 10 years have been full of baseball, lots of youth baseball followed by some kart racing for my son. he is now half way through his teen year like Ryans daughter. Just have not spent as much time building and posting.
    The other elephant in the room is the growth of other social media. FB, IG, etc. Lots of folks got lazy and just started posting those places, especially where a pic and 3 words would get you a reach around without having to post actual tech!
    There are several other reason which I will not dig into as well but I think the above was the heart of the issue

alanp561 likes this.
  23. atch

atch

Ever since this thread began I've been trying to find the thread on the car (Desoto I think) that was being radically customized. It was sectioned; top cut off; pieces from various other cars grafted into/onto it, and LOTS of other modifications. Now I don't seem to be able to find it no matter how I search.

I know I'll get flamed for derailing this thread but does anyone know the one I mean?

patmanta likes this.
  24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I remember that build. I didn't know it went cold. Sorry, I have no info on it.

25. I am pretty sure he sold it or maybe raffled it off and doesn't have the car anymore.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/new-member-watch-me-section-my-desoto.1024562/page-57

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    Hamtown Al likes this.
  26. atch

atch

Yep. That's it. Thanx. Too bad we won't get to see it completed.

Blues4U likes this.
  27. pnevells

pnevells

I was following an altered build from Don's Hot Rods in Florida, he was using our car and others as a guide ,I visited him on one of my Florida trips and we had a great time , I lost his number and address and have never seen another post . Hope all is well with him as he was a really nice guy had a couple of rods and a nice shop with his son in Fort Myers, i would love to reconnect

Tman, Blues4U and loudbang like this.
  28. Graham08

Graham08

Definitely this. I'm not working on anything HAMB friendly right now, but it's hard enough to find the time to actually work on stuff, let alone writing up the build thread to document it. I did finally update a build thread over on Garage Journal the other day and it felt good to do it, but it had been six months or so since the last time I had posted anything. In my case, lack of build thread updates is not because I'm trying to be rude, it's just that actually doing something wins out over writing about it.

Tman and 31 B'ville like this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

This was the last post in his thread, by BamaMav,

Heard from Don a few months ago, he was finishing up a roadster pickup. I think he got rid of the bantam, may have given it to one of his son's. But he has dropped out of sight again, so no current news...

pnevells and loudbang like this.
  30. I have 2 problems when it comes to doing a build thread (have started 2 on other forums over the years) One is that since I am on the road transporting everyone else toys, I barely have any time to work on mine let alone post about them. I do however take many pictures which is a major change vs the old days! The 2nd problem is that I get bored quickly & once the hard work is done, something else catches my eye. I currently have one 2 weeks away from completion, one that is 3/4 done, 3 that are completely disassembled & 3 others waiting their turn! When I get bored on one, I try to do some stuff on another. Being on an extended leave from the road affords me time that I have not had in many years to hit a few of them hard....who knows, I might even post something about one or two!:D

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Hamtown Al, rod1 and Blues4U like this.