Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Father/Son Project #2 - AD Pickup Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, May 6, 2020.

1. A couple quick updates maybe more related to Samuel than the truck project itself. We pretty much decided the Corvair isn’t going to work so well for him since his head hits the top bows and he isn’t all that interested. So, it is now for sale. And, even though these old cars aren’t his passion like my other son, he is learning to enjoy driving them more all the time. Just this past weekend, he drove my Thunderbird about 600 or so miles on a trip up to Springfield, MO and back for the SWMO Hot Rod Hundred. That was pretty motivating for him overall to get back to work on his truck so he can drive his own vehicle. We will see how the motivation holds up.

Here is a quick video of Samuel driving the bird back home a couple days ago. Trying to keep this old car deal fun. :D

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sounds like Justin.

3. Well, the motivation has held up, but seems attention will be diverted to an easier project so he can get a vehicle on the road sooner. Anyway, can’t really talk about the new project here since it is 10 years too new, but most folks here might still think it’s cool. We will just say he may need a new wardrobe to go with his 4-speed roadster that he is paying for himself. Pretty proud of him actually. We just need to put a motor in it and see what all else it might need to be a good driver.

CBA562E1-887A-4BF1-A8AB-2A8FB20FE27E.jpeg

210superair, loudbang, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

White sneakers, gold chain and an appropriate hat and/or jacket.

5. And, can’t forget the visor/hat with the fake hair. ;)

6. catdad49

catdad49

He probably doesn’t Need That!

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  7. That’s awesome!! I love me a C3 vette and would love to have one someday (preferably with an Eckler’s can am body kit, turbine wheels, side pipes and rear window louvers. Lol). I contemplated a newer vette a few years ago but Katherine learned about gold chainers and said she didn’t want me to be one. Haha

1Nimrod, brEad, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  8. real Corvettes have trunk lids...

9. I agree. And, that is what I would want. If my 16 year old could afford one of those, that would be pretty amazing considering I can’t. :D

drdave, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

He should be thankful that his dad popped for a Vette at all. I drove a 79 Honda Civic Station wagon until my 36 was done.

11. His dad didn’t. He is paying for it. :D

1Nimrod, drdave, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

That’s even better….

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  13. There's something about hanging out in the garage with your youngin, it's hard to explain. Mine has that look of excitement too, ecstatic lol... he loves me :D 20210904_121314.jpg

1Nimrod, impala4speed, brEad and 6 others like this.
  14. Well, the new car is on the road and he is practicing driving a 4-speed. We had to build a motor and put it in and are now finding all the other things screwed up by previous “mechanics”... Today will be the first day driving it to school. Praying it does ok. Once we get a few little issues worked through on the car, maybe we can get back on the pickup project. Drove 3 cars to church yesterday including this one...just because we could. We were accused of having a car show at church in amongst all the minivans and SUV’s. :D Notice how I snuck that pic in... ;)

34C50ABE-E25B-4FF0-B2FA-8808524A9580.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    1Nimrod, pprather, drdave and 8 others like this.
  15. I've had several of the AD p/u's..GM got it right with the styling.
    Following the build, thanks for posting.

1Nimrod, little red 50, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  16. For anyone wondering if the car made it to school, it did fine. He may be a little chilly after driving it with no top about 40 miles on a morning when the temp is 48 degrees. :D Oh, and he had to jump start it to go this morning. Pretty sure he is learning the determination part that it takes to drive old junk. And, sounds like we have a battery drain to find. o_O

1Nimrod, jetnow1, drdave and 5 others like this.
  17. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

My dad thinks I'm crazy because I love Edsels. He's got a cool photo on his wall at his place in Florida. I told him to put my name on the back of it because that will be all the inheritance I need. Well, that and maybe his 30 A Sedan...

1Nimrod, brEad, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  18. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Man, now I wanna see the C3, since my 15 year old and I are redoing a '79 for her...but yeah, it's too new. I understand. Nice to know I'm not the only parent letting my kiddo drive a cool car. LOL

1Nimrod, drdave, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  19. Very cool! And, pm sent. :D

Thor1, loudbang and five-oh like this.
  20. What's the deal with you and Vettes? Dude, leave some for the rest of us! LOL Bet she's gonna love the 79!!

21. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Lol. Well....it's an addiction. One day I'll have my life's ambition car, which is a C1.
    Meanwhile I'll play in the cheap seats with series 3, 4 and 5.
    And she already does. Motor headed to brother in laws machine shop hopefully before Christmas and this year's honor role present/enticement is side pipes. Her choice.

1Nimrod, drdave, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  22. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

How did a proper AD Pickup Build Thread become a Corvette mooshy mooshy post?!? I blame you, GuthrieSmith!!!

By the way, JustMatt got to see the 53 that the engine Courts54 scored came out of. A 56-62 block built up to Vette specs for the 53 10 or 12 years ago while the guy looked for the numbers matching block. He found it, dropped $15k in a restoration of that motor and dumped the "newer" block on our local CL. Court is getting the POL water pump kit and dropping it into his 54 3800 stake bed "Dot".

1Nimrod, five-oh, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  23. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

What feels like a lifetime ago I drug home a pile of parts that we turned into an 8N. A few years later we drug home a pile of parts that we turned into a 54 Chevy truck. Last year Court bought his own house. Enjenjo hooked him up with the orange yard decor and yesterday he added to the spookiness for Halloween by parking his 54 next to it in his freshly graded driveway done by his 8N. They grow up on us!!

1Nimrod, Tman, brEad and 6 others like this.
  24. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

That's awesome! And FWIW, the corvette mooshy mooshy participants are ALSO AD truck nuts. At least this one is- I enjoyed driving Sam the '52 yesterday...and the day before...and before. I'm gonna have to stop driving if I'm ever gonna get his paint done. LOL
    But $15k in a inline six restoration? Dear God I want his budget.. and his '53 'vette. LOL
    I'll be lucky to squeeze out a $3000 budget for the 261 I'm bartering off of my brother in law...

1Nimrod, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  25. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

The crazier thing to me was the fact he dropped a bunch into this mid-50s 235 to make it Corvette-ish specifications while he searched for the numbers matching block. He said he'd had it done for like 12 years and put 20,000 miles on it. Sold it to Court for $500 without the intake/exhaust manifold. Court landed a 2 pot Edmunds from CL and is working on the swap to the truck water pump style. As soon as POL gets them in stock... I feel like we are watching "Annie" with their "Tomorrow, tomorrow..." promises! May have to just press the pulley down ourselves.

I've got a buddy putting Corvette suspension under a 54 3100. I'll have to check in to see if he got it done yet!

1Nimrod, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  26. Yea, what @five-oh said about the vette talk also coming from guys that also like the AD truck stuff...but you already know that @Danimal. :D

Oh, and for an update to this actual thread. We are still working through several things on the new mooshy mooshy car as someone called it, but he is driving it daily anyway...just with no heat, wipers, a window that rolls down on the passenger, side, etc., etc. I figure this will be good for him to learn to troubleshoot all this stuff.

Still hoping to get back on the pickup project this fall/winter. But, I also will become a grandfather in the next week to a grandson who will be living with us, so who knows how much time we will actually have. Not sure I am ready for this grandparent thing yet. I am still just a young guy...:rolleyes:

27. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Grandpa Smith?!? Sounds like something from the Waltons. Congrats to you and the family. I know you'll make sure there is a welcome and happy home. And a hot rod pedal car...

28. Thanks Dan! And, you just reminded me why I saved those two pedal cars hanging on the shop wall now. :cool:

29. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Still hoping to get back on the pickup project this fall/winter. But, I also will become a grandfather in the next week to a grandson who will be living with us, so who knows how much time we will actually have. Not sure I am ready for this grandparent thing yet. I am still just a young guy...:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I'm right there with ya on that one. My oldest daughter is 20, and pregnant with our first grandchild. She's not due til June, but I'm only 47.

Devin

30. sixty3

sixty3
    from Erie, Pa.

Eighteen years ago our then 20 year old daughter presented us with our first grand daughter. They lived with us for the next 9 years. She became my car washing buddy, joined me at car shows and drag races, basically my hot rod pal. A good man came along and married her mom and I couldn't be happier. It wasn't long after she was born I realized grandchildren were the best gift your children could give you. It's all good!

1Nimrod, Danimal, Randall and 6 others like this.