Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Moisture in valve covers?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ModelARon, Nov 11, 2021.

1. ModelARon

ModelARon

I have been building this car for four years . I finished the engine three years ago and it has been sitting in my garage. I just drive the car for the first time two weeks ago only around the block a few times to work out any bugs. I removed the valve covers to adjust the valve lash and found clear liquid / moisture inside the valve covers.
    And some white slime. The engine is filled with antifreeze, no signs of green liguid.
    The drivers side cover has a push in breather cap, the passenger side cover is plugged.
    I dropped the engine oil and it looked fine no signs of liquid. Engine runs great and oil pressure is good . I think this is just condensation. Do i need to add a breather to the passenger side valve cover? Or a PCV valve? IMG_4682.jpeg 65828577650__5A29EB16-E27F-4491-8D26-E916EF0ADE28.jpeg IMG_4700.jpeg IMG_4695.jpeg

2Blue2, Lil32, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  2. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you're correct about the condensation. Install a PCV valve and drive the hell out of it to get it good and warm so the condensation dries up and you should be fine. JMO

3. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The factory designed PCV system is your friend .

4. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

What temperature does the cooling system run ? the hotter you run a motor the drier the crankcase will be.

Truck64 and 427 sleeper like this.

5. Yes. A PCV and drive it

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

While PCV has lots of benefits, there is something else going on there. Me old Y-Block runs a draft tube, never seen anything like that under the valve covers. Insides are "Clean for Gene."

Blues4U and 46international like this.
  7. I looked at this thread last night and knew I had an engine that seemed to do the same thing often, but couldn’t remember what engine it was. It just came to me that it was back in high school when I had a tunnel ram on a sbc and don’t believe I was running a pcv valve. Not sure there is any correlation, but does seem coincidental to me. I don’t know that I have ever had other engines with the condensation problem even without pcv valves.

8. 97

Easy cure! Change the motor out for a flathead, no valve covers on the heads to have condensation under them!:rolleyes:

trikejunkie, pvfjr, ottoman and 9 others like this.
  9. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Something else to consider is what type of gas are you using ? if it has alcohol in it that will add to the problem.

jimmy six likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

have you ever plugged the draft tube so there's only one vent, then run the engine for a short time, and then pulled the valve covers? You might be surprised?

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

No, but what would be the point of that? What I'm getting at, the innards are really clean, after many years and many miles. That's why I think there's something else going on in that pic. Maybe a 160° or defective thermostat. Or a plugged vent....

12. finn

finn

Add a PCV, and check to see that your thermostat is functioning properly, and is a 180 degree minimum.

Also, avoid short runs where the engine doesn’t fully warm up. It needs to be run under load long enough to boil off accumulated condensation, and that’s not going to happen idling in the shop.

The pvc is a must.

Ericnova72, joel, Elcohaulic and 3 others like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

Just to show you that what he's seeing is normal under the conditions, even though you've never seen it, because you don't look at the inside of your engine under those conditions.

14. jaracer

jaracer

You have moisture inside your valve covers because your engine crankcase isn't properly vented. Like others have said, put a PCV valve in that valve cover that is plugged. You need a fresh air flow through the crankcase to prevent this.

When I worked for a Dodge dealer it was common for someone to come in and think they had a blown head gasket or cracked block. What they were seeing was moisture and white sludge on the dipstick. About 99% of the time it was a plugged valve cover vent cap which kept the PCV valve from doing it's job. You do have to let air into the crankcase for the PCV to do it's job.

15. With my Y block in the Model A, I would get water under the valve cover. It has a draft tube but no thermostat at the time, after installing a 180* thermostat .... no more water.

Elcohaulic and ClayMart like this.
  16. I'm another vote for a PCV valve system. With what you have now, you only have blowby to push out vapors in the crankcase. That's causing a somewhat stagnant condition. Adding the PCV valve will act to purge and exchange pretty near all of that.
    The white sludge indicates a bit of the condensation and oil are emulsifying from the vapor state into a compound liquid state. Getting your crankcase to breathe and longer trip times at full operating temp helps keep things "dry". Very short trips don't get hot enough to return condensation back to vapor.
    You probably know most of this. I'm also writing to our general forum population. I'm not an expert so, as always, 'eat the meat and throw away the bones'. ;)

gimpyshotrods and guthriesmith like this.
  17. sunbeam

sunbeam

Getting the oil temp above 212 degrees will help a lot.

18. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

must be tears of joy, being a ford in a ford...

19. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I have a similar problem with my roadster engine, white condensation in the oil filler tube and cap which is on the intake and is the air inlet for my PVC system. I have a 180 degree thermostat but it is slow to heat up the engine. I have changed it twice now but it still works the same. So something is not letting the engine warm up properly so I believe the 160 to 170 degrees is the cause of the condensation.

20. dmar836

dmar836

You might be surprised how often this occurs but you just don't see it. This is why we were always told "highway miles are good miles". Ever start tearing into an engine, trans, anything really, first thing in the am? Especially if it's been parked outside? Common findings.
    Driving around the block is just enough heat to condense damp air and not enough to burn it off. Really bad for metal machines. I don't think there is anything to be worried about. Add a PVC if you want but that need would become apparent later. You'll still get moisture under those circumstances. You just need to drive it longer each time IMO.

P.S. Was watching it almost raining with moisture in a hangar and was taught that all that humidity is not just around an airplane but also inside the engine, the frame, and every other thing inside the hangar.

WalkerMD and X-cpe like this.
  21. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Yup, PCV fur sure. Short road trips or any up to temperature travel, take your time coming home. Nice engine.

WalkerMD likes this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the first 8 years I had no PCV valve and never had any condensation and I looked. I have always used a 160 thermostat. It just needs to be driven and reach operating temp each time it’s driven. As I remember tunnel rams do not heat up very well since they do not have an exhaust heat crossover. Tunnel rams were made for racing and really not for the street so you make amends for that and drive accordingly. If you don’t want to plumb a PCV system I would add a second breather to help with evaporation. Do you have a road draft tube? That would also help but a SBF’s were manufactured after PCV systems were common. A hood may help also.

Blues4U likes this.
  23. Yes, you need to add a PCV valve to the opposite valve cover. The early SBF used a timing cover oil fill/manifold located PCV, Ford switched away from that design after only two years precisely because of this problem, poor ventilation in the valve covers that promoted condensation. It's especially a problem if you live somewhere with high humidity. You've got half of what you need, just add the other half.

The generator-equipped versions with their longer dipstick were famous for rotting the handle end of the dipstick off from condensation even with the proper PCV system, that's why the later ones were shorter.

The SBF never had a road draft tube, it was designed from the git-go to use a PCV system.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    gimpyshotrods, jimmy six and Truck64 like this.
  24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I wondered about that ...

jimmy six likes this.
  25. It’s garbage , get rid of it. Complete junk.
    Get out of the hobby completely.
    Sell everything and get into button collecting.

Lloyd's paint & glass and egads like this.
  26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Eeegads! That's a lot of moisture for condensation. I hope that's all it is, but that is a common indicator of a small coolant leak, seen it many times. Check the dipstick, is it showing moisture on it, even drops, perhaps even rust? Engine oil has detergents in it that will hold low volumes of water in suspension. Here's something you can do, collect a small amount of the oil out of the engine, and drop it onto a plate of steel you've heated up with a torch up to >212F (don't go too hot!). If there is water in the oil you will see it boil out of the oil. See my caution about getting the plate too hot, you don't want to exceed the flash point or fire point of the oil, just exceed the boiling point of water. In the lab they do this was an electric hot plate, it's called the Crackle Test.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. The lack of the road draft tube was why the early race motors had two breathers per valve cover welded on.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  28. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Even the road draft systems were intended to provide "ventilation" thru the various chambers formed inside an engine.
    PCV should be "positive" and more sophisticated. Like air in one head, thru the block, then out the other head/valve cover. Even forced to pass thru the timing chest etc on the way.

Even with real PCV some engines don't "ventilate" well enough. Pre 200? Mopar 2.7 V6, probably the Toyota sludge recalls, and others.

Like others said, simple pressure relief/venting leaves a LOT of nasty stuff behind to accumulate over time.

29. sunbeam

sunbeam

In 63 I bought a 221 out of a 62 Fairlane to put in my 60 Falcon it had a road draft tube.

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First factory PCV system I saw in California was 1961. 1962 Factory mandatory. Not sure on the rest of the country. ^^^^^^ that does make sense as a 221-up would have been designed before 1960 and manufacturers didn’t do anything they were not forced to do by law. A penny or even less per car was to be awarded to engineering.