Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Heater valve set-up

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1955 F-100 guy, Nov 10, 2021.

1. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

Got a universal under dash AC-- HEAT unit with 3 speed fan switch and a low to High temperature switch-- AC is very cold using above switches A-AC-1.jpg on AC unit panel---- But now I need a set-up to make the heat work--the hot water hoses are tied in direct in back of unit in and out now hot water is running thru heat coil all the time-- seems like I need a water valve and a switch for heat---What do you suggest who had this set up and what parts did you use--info on parts used and pictures-- Thanks

2. This old Lane Anderson RODDERS DIGEST article has a PN for a Napa valve.

Attached Files:

Hamtown Al likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Try a 1975 Dodge pickup water valve, it's cable operated and cheap.

Roger Loupias likes this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

English cars had cable operated hot water valves as well. Doubt they would be cheap. Even though they are English they won't leak oil but can't say about water. :cool:

5. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

Get a cable control valve (see pic). They have vacuum control valves too. May have to pick a vehicle to find what you need.

4EC96073-9109-4B10-ADC0-B8722ADB419D.jpeg

6. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

I understand about the inline hose valve--WHAT makes the unit know it is time to get heat on as of now it only has cold air I got to be able to shut ac off and SWITCH over to HEATER-- got to know what kind of separate switch set-up I need -- looking for what separate set-up is needed to just turn heat on ? ? I have cable heater valve installed all that does it shut it off in summer-- I need a separate switch or set-up to just turn heater on and isolate AC side ---

7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I put water cut off valves in BOTH of my water lines to the AC/Heat unit... makes AC that much more efficient.;) I open both valves in the winter... might be overkill but when trying feel AC in a convertible:eek: you need all the cooling help you can get.;)
    I normally use the valve given above by hot rod37 or one very similar.;)

Bob Lowry likes this.
  8. Do it Over

Do it Over
    from NYC, NY

If the heater core and A/C evaporator are in the same housing sharing the same ducting IMO to run A/C you must have a switch to activate the clutch on the compressor. For heat you just need to let the hot water into the heater core through the previously mentioned water valve and turn on the fan. Your A/C switch is A/C when on, heat when off.

Bob Lowry and LWEL9226 like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I walked into my local parts house and dug through their valves until I found one that fit what I needed. I'm nobody special, they don't know me, but if you ask with with confidence they'll usually let you look.

Devin

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look at the print/instructions of your unit. I’ve personally never seen an under dash AC unit which also had a heater exchanger inside, but if yours has both there must be a knob, level, etc on the front to activate the heater which deactivates or locks out the compressor clutch. I’ll bet there is a a wire that’s for an electric valve you install on your engine whether it be screwed in to the water pump or intake or inline in one of the hoses

Aftermarket complete systems have electronic valves which when in the AC mode continue to circulate the hot water thru hoses but not to the inside evaporator using a bypass system.. I’ve included a photo of mine for an Old Air Products combo unit. No engine coolant circulates or dead heads at the interior unit unless I select the heater.

You definitely do not want to blow thru a hot exchanger to then go thru the evaporator trying to cool you. 9EF5625F-5BFD-44F2-82DF-0BFA5B3A4A59.jpeg

Roger Loupias likes this.
  12. Beat ya'all with some real tech that mags used to do! Viva La Rodders Digest!!!!!!!!!!

13. 1955 F-100 guy

1955 F-100 guy
    from NE Pa

NEVER no directions with unit that would be easy--- in the back as in picture 2 ac Connection and 2 hot water connections--- on front panel is the 3 position fan switch and other Temp switch is LOW or rotate to High--

AC works perfect compresses and Trinary switch all working PERFECT----- But need a switch to tell the unit AC off turn heat on --- A-AC-2.jpg

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. studebaker46

studebaker46

16. With the compressor off the ac will not get cold. For heat ope the hot water valve. Turn on the ac switch and all will be good. The water valve must be in the pressure side of the water pump.