Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fenders, no fenders

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by BigO, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang, chevy57dude and Lil32 like this.
  2. SPEC

SPEC

Fender's!

loudbang, Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  3. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Fenders, aprons, running boards and hot apple pie.

Stogy and Lil32 like this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Going against the grain, I say keep the grille and fenders. Gives it a custom look, but also a hot rod look.

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

My brother and I thought about getting an old pickup for our little speed shop business we created. We were too touchy about hauling stuff in the trunk of the black 1958 Impala. Heads, manifolds, crankshafts, etc, were things we had to put in the trunk to get them ready to “spec” out for the builds we were doing. The facilities were across town and the Impala was great, but it was a drag racer/crusier/tow car for short hops, but not a long term part hauler.

We had a Model A coupe at one time in 1957. It was going to be the basis for our modified Gas Coupe And Sedan Class entry, as well as a daily driver to school. When the two of us sat in the Model A, it was tight and we knew it was, for us, not as comfortable as his 51 Oldsmobile sedan. So, we thought of an old pickup truck. But, those also did a number on our comfort, being a couple of growing teenagers. If comfort is a key driving aspect, then check out the access, entry, exit and seating positions inside. Your situation might be completely different.

So, we turned to station wagons. But time constraints of school, jobs and the drags kept that idea at bay for the time being. In seeing plenty of old pickup trucks, they were all cool. No one had fenderless trucks at the time. Plus, the CHP was cracking down on the fenderless roadsters for tire coverage, that was discouraging enough.

Jnaki

So, despite the tight quarters of the interior of old trucks, there are some out there that look good and are functional. Most of the recent fenderless ones look like the dreaded “rat rods.” With their stances and finishes, appear to be squashed by a Mack Truck. It is those lowered patina strewn trucks that have squeezed into the hot rod truck scene. But, those are/were not the 50s and 60s trucks we saw cruising around during our So Cal hot rod/drag racing days. Of the ones we saw, were full fendered shop trucks and or push/tow trucks for the drag racers.

One of the nice ones is @Blues4U and his two tone pickup truck. It is functional, looks good and has the look/feel of a hot rod.
    upload_2021-11-6_3-33-30.png
    @Blues4U
    As far as changes go, wheels and a normal stance makes most hot rods a little more aggressive. So, for your truck, full fendered seems like the way to go, since no one wants to be considered a “RAT ROD.”

Stogy, Lil32, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  6. chargin03

chargin03

fenders !

Stogy, Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  7. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

This Blues4U dolled with some cycle fenders (blue) would be a nice touch. Either way, She's impressing.

8. hipojoe

hipojoe

I am with JNAKI on this one, there is a point of no return from HOT ROD to RAT-ISH rod. No one wants to be RAT-ISH unless you are a young guy. The RATS seem to be in their own space at the shows, they are welcomed... dont get me wrong, just keep to themselves removed from the traditional group.

Lil32 and jnaki like this.
  9. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fenders of course.

10. P7120591.JPG

Hey, it's your truck, do as you like but I prefer no fenders!

11. Jeff34

Jeff34

Fenders on a pickup. IMG_1629.JPG

Stogy, loudbang, Lil32 and 1 other person like this.
  12. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your keeping the grill than fenders. If your ditching the grill than no fenders easy peesy.

Blues4U likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@BigO what are a set of reports? I am well aware of Woodlites...;)

I did an inspiration on the 2nd page did you have a look at it? I'm working on a second...

As I work at these inspirations I'm leaning towards rear fenders with as presented Bobbed or Cycle Style fronts or no front fenders at all...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/fenders-no-fenders.1246784/page-2#post-14261821

Any more on the new acquisition?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    loudbang and Lil32 like this.
  14. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Fenders all day long!

loudbang, Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  15. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

Keep the fenders!

Lil32, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

quick and dirty photoshop.....
    chopped top, shorten visor, add bead to the hood and cut some off it. Lower headlights, shorten front of fender and curve it under a little more, steel wheels and caps. And of course give it a hot rod rake! BigO truck.jpg

17. Country Joe

Country Joe

Fenders.

loudbang, Stogy and Lil32 like this.
  18. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fenders on , fix the hood to bring the edge to meet the body belt line. No fenders on this one looks like you forgot something.

loudbang, Stogy and Lil32 like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BigO_PUv3.jpg

:rolleyes:...A second Inspiration with Cycle style Fronts , Louvers, Woodlites, Ribbed Trim Rings, Darlin, Extended and Modded Splash Apron/Running board, striping and Nerf Style Bars

BigOHotrodPU_chopped.jpg

:rolleyes:...and Chopped a bit...

Credit to All that Inspired These

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    ClarkH, Roger Loupias, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  20. hipojoe

hipojoe

A little vision goes a long way!

Lil32, gary macdonald and Stogy like this.
  21. exterminator

exterminator

22. Grant Clemens

Grant Clemens
    from Montana

I kind of like the cycle Fender version. Actually I like them both ways I have one of each.

Attached Files:

23. turdytoo

turdytoo

Easy question, build one of each.

24. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Fenders. When you want change the look, take them off. Wash, rinse repeat.

loudbang likes this.
  25. johnnymac1

johnnymac1

I'm thinking your truck looks better with fenders, it's like people, I would leave the fenders off if it had a different look or stance, I guess, mine didn't come with fenders and probably won't ever have them. Good luck
    thumbnail_IMG_20201214_135051679.jpg

Stogy and loudbang like this.