Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hurst motor mount for FE motors

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by terry k, Nov 9, 2021.

1. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Anyone with a Hurst catalog know if they made a Hurst Type mount for the FE 390-427 motors.

2. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Terry..I looked at both of my catalogs and no FE mounts.. They made small block and y block though..

Deuces likes this.
  3. If you know what a 1953 Ford truck flathead front mount looks like and you know what a early Ford truck Y block looks like - they made a front mount FE for the trucks in 1965 for sure - that's what I have on my 1965 F350 wrecker - a front mount - if that would help. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

Deuces likes this.
  4. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Thanks for the info. I'll look for that truck mount to see what it looks like. I have the Y block mount. If it was a Chevy they would all be the same. Fords motors are always different.

-Brent-, sko_ford and tommyd like this.

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep in mind the center front truck mounts starting in '53 also needed/used straddle mounts on the bell housing to stabilize the engine. Front mount early Y-block pass cars also used side stabilizers. Trans-Dapt used used to make a bolt-in cross member for '53-'64 Ford pickups that used the stock FE side mounts (and can be modified), a much better solution. Chassis Engineering Inc also made several similar universal cross members using stock Ford through-bolt cushions or biscuits, and is what I'm using on my FE/'40.

stillrunners likes this.
  6. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

There was a C5TE FE bell with the mid-mounts, IIRC it is the "C" suffix bell- I have one in the container. There were also cast iron timing covers to work with the front mounts. The easiest thing is usually just a round tube crossmember cut from an early 60's Galaxie, which lets you use factory type mid-mounts, and can be cut down to whatever width you need

deathrowdave likes this.
  7. birdman1

birdman1

speedway sells a tubular mount for the 390-428 Ford engine. works for several applications. i used one to mount the 430 Lincoln in my 1937 Ford coupe.

stillrunners and egads like this.
  8. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Engine is going into an early Ford chassis so I need room for headers and starter. That is why I am trying to mount in the front area.

-Brent- likes this.
  9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Look for a 330, 361, or 391 FT. They often (not always, it is chassis dependent) used a front mount. It is an additional sheet metal bracket that bolts to the timing cover.

[​IMG]

Deuces, deathrowdave and wood remover like this.
  10. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

That bracket would make a good starting point for a full engine mount.

11. Foothillspeedshop

Foothillspeedshop

What a out finding a boat front cover and build angle brackets to use the stock rubber motor mounts FB_IMG_1658797434445.jpg

Deuces, egads and hotrodarchaeologist like this.
  12. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That photo of a factory mount gives you a good look at attachment and crank clearance. The many of the Hurst cross mounts had a lower stiffener lip across the bottom that adds to the depth. But in all reality, you can make one in afternoon on a band saw. I get the engine block mocked up in place to where I want it and make a quick cardboard template to get the shape of the plate to work with the motor mount locations on the frame. I use a thicker plate with no additional stiffened lip.
    20221211_150341.jpg

Deuces and deathrowdave like this.
  13. cowboygraves

cowboygraves

Hi, I have a client who has 2 still new in the box if you need them?